Chapter 14

Delusions of Grandeur

A:N/ I think everyone is about to get a hint about that last idea I had that I wanted to use from the last story....

- -

“So where are the others?” L. Joe enquired as he drummed his fingers on Chunji's arm rest, waiting for the other boy to reverse out of their car spot. Chunji had come to the university to collect L. Joe from his last class that Friday. L. Joe had tried to protest that it was too early, but Chunji promised him that he'd be there to get him.

 

L. Joe would never admit it, but his heart sped up when he spied the familiar smile as he exited his lecture theatre. He'd never had anyone waiting for him like that. The knowledge that Chunji had to come to university that day just to be able to do so, only made the gesture sweeter. Not having enough time to go home and come back again for the gathering, L. Joe had just accompanied the other boy as he ran a few errands during the day.

 

They'd gone and done Chunji's food shopping for the week, dropping the items they bought back at the apartment before going out for lunch. L. Joe had been enjoying himself so much, hanging out with the other boy, that he had completely forgotten about the fact that they were together because they were killing time before the party that evening.

 

“CAP's doing whatever he feels like until later, and the other boys were at school. That's where we're going now. We've got to pick them up.” Chunji explained, driving out of the car park, in the direction of the boy's school.

 

“So I'm finally going to get to see Ricky's school? Promise?” L. Joe demanded, excitedly. Chunji nodded, grinning at the happiness he heard in L. Joe's voice. Even if he still was a little jealous of their closeness, he had just spent the entire day with L. Joe. After that, he was more than secure enough to handle their friendship.

 

At least, for a little while anyway.

 

“Ricky said that he, Changjo and Niel all attend the same school. How are we going to find them all?” L. Joe asked, noting the time on Chunji's dashboard. They'd be there just in time for the bell to go, along with all the other mums.

 

“I wouldn't worry about that if I were you. We have a meeting place.” Chunji assured, his grip on the steering wheel slackening momentarily at the unexpected question. If L. Joe had been looking in the other boy's direction he might've noticed the barest trace of pinkness on his cheeks.

 

Within minutes they'd parked down the street from the school. L. Joe hopped out of the car, trailing behind the other boy mutely, eyeing the place in awe, only to trip over a slightly raised section of the footpath. He stumbled, clutching onto Chunji's arm for all he was worth to stop himself from crashing into the ground head first.

 

His face burned as the other boy laughed at his misfortune. L. Joe's gaze immediately dropped to his feet, not rising until he felt Chunji wrap his arm around the other boy's shoulders comfortingly. “Hey don't stress L. Joe. Anyone could've tripped on that. I've done it a few times myself.” he assured the other boy.

 

“Sure you have. That's why you laughed at me.” L. Joe mumbled sullenly, but he could already feel his embarrassment fading. “I laughed because it's still funny, even if it has happened to you. It just defies belief: no matter the situation, if it's possible to do something clumsy, you manage to do it, everytime.” Chunji commented, shaking his head in disbelief, steering L. Joe through the corridors of the school.

 

“You sure know this place well.” L. Joe commented, feeling a little overwhelmed by all the corridors and doorways they were passing. “Kind of comes with the territory I suppose. Not only do I come pick them up from school quite a bit, but I also attended this school for a little while.” Chunji informed him, pulling him deeper into the school.

 

“Really?” L. Joe questioned intrigued. “Of course. How did you think me and CAP met the other boys?” Chunji demanded, amused. “I wasn't sure.” L. Joe admitted, “But I thought you said that you and CAP weren't city kids like they are.” he pointed out. Chunji laughed, “We're not. We changed schools in the hopes that it'd be better than the local one. But we only lasted a few weeks, before we transferred back again.” he informed him before pushing him through a doorway into a well lit classroom, following behind him.

 

“Hey guys, look who came to visit.” Chunji cheered excitedly. The group of boys at the front of the room, cheering delightedly. Ricky ran over wrapping L. Joe in one of his hugs, tugging him across the room, over to the rest of the gang, leaving Chunji over by the door, watching L. Joe. L. Joe sent him a look of mild terror over his shoulder, but he could only laugh. He was pretty sure that the other boy would be alright, but he had no plans to walk out of the room anyway.

 

When he got closer, he noticed that they were huddled around someone leaning against the teacher's desk who they'd apparently been speaking with. The man looked as though he were in his late 30s maybe early 40s, but time had treated him well. His hair was dark, as were his eyes, and he had quite a handsome face. His eyes glittered as they looked him up and down. L. Joe felt so uncomfortable at that look that he had to look away.

 

“And who is this?” the man enquired. “This is our friend L. Joe, Mr Kim.” Niel introduced him politely, Ricky quickly jumping in “He used to be a good friend of mine, but then he moved over to America for the last couple of years. He's only just come back to the country.” he explained. L. Joe shuffled slightly, rubbing his elbow; he felt so awkward with the intense look of the older man.

 

He was certainly not getting any better at meeting new people.

 

“Well it's nice to meet you L. Joe. I'm the boys maths teacher, Mr Kim.” the older man introduced himself. L. Joe nodded to him, smiling politely, still feeling really uncomfortable with the whole situation. He sent a furtive glance over his shoulder to Chunji, hoping the other boy would help him out. He saw the other boy break out in a grin, and started pouting subconsciously, completely unaware of how he looked when he did so.

 

Still, Chunji wasn't completely cold hearted, so he took a few steps closer to the group of boys. “Sorry to interrupt, Mr Kim, but I do need to get the boys home.” he stated apologetically, shaking his keys for added impact. Immediately the other boys gave Mr Kim their apologies, and said their goodbyes, Changjo sending L. Joe into a stumbling walk out the door, by giving him a slight shove in the correct direction to get them started.

 

The boys raced each other back to the car, only realising that the whole thing was rigged in Chunji's favour when he unlocked his door, leaving the rest of them unable to get into the car, until he relented and unlocked their doors. Unable to refute Chunji's victory, the other boys resorted to their favourite game whenever Chunji came to get them from school.

 

“Say, didn't Mr Kim look particularly handsome today, Chunji?” Changjo began slyly. “Yeah I agree, I think he might've done something to his hair, don't you think , Chunji? It seemed so shiny, and soft. Didn't it just make you want to run your fingers through it?” Ricky continued cheekily, kicking the back of L. Joe's seat in his excitement.

 

L. Joe didn't really get the joke, but he didn't pay it too much attention at that moment, instead preferring to lean over the back of his seat to pelt a plastic cup he found on the floor at Ricky's stomach for kicking his chair. Niel turned to the other two, admonishing them “Now guys stop it. Leave Chunji alone. You know he's not going to agree with you.” before his face lit up with mischief as he continued, grinning widely “Chunji likes Mr Kim so much he thinks he looks handsome every day!”

 

The boys in the back started chuckling loudly, making it harder for L. Joe to ignore them. His gaze slid sideways to take in the other boy, who was smiling, apparently laughing along with the boys in the back, but otherwise appearing unfazed. “What on earth are you talking about?” he enquired, suddenly feeling a little overwhelmed with the other boys and their exuberance.

 

“Chunji liking Mr Kim of course!” Ricky cackled, completely missing the confused look on L. Joe's face. Taking pity on him Changjo leant closer, so as to be heard over the two other boys sitting next to him. “Mr Kim was Chunji's favourite teacher for the few weeks he attended our high school, and so we now saying that he loves Mr Kim and that's the reason he's always coming back to the school.” he explained.

 

“But we came to get you.” L. Joe explained confused, not understanding where Chunji having feelings for Mr Kim would fit into the whole picture. “Yeah, but Chunji volunteered to start doing that, and he always makes sure to exchange a few words with Mr Kim when he comes. He goes wide eyed and starts acting really shy and weird whenever he's around Mr Kim, and I mean think about it. Who else makes their maths teacher their favourite?” Niel hissed, irately. He disliked it whenever someone questioned their reasoning.

 

“Let's just say that maths has never been Chunji's favourite subject, and Mr Kim is definitely the most attractive teacher Chunji had when he was a student.” Ricky added at the end. L. Joe's mind buzzed with the new information, but if Chunji had heard them, he gave no indication of it. Although, he did take a corner a bit too fast at that moment, sending the boys in the back toppling into one another, and getting their limbs entangled in their bags, causing a lot of complaints.

 

L. Joe turned back to Chunji, hearing the muffled chuckle telling him that the corner, had indeed been deliberate. His mind was churning over the new information. “Is it true? Do you really have feelings for Mr Kim?” he found himself asking before he could stop himself. Chunji laughed lightly at L. Joe's question, seemingly completely at ease. “Of course not. They've been saying that for years, don't pay them any attention.” Chunji responded.

 

L. Joe still kind of wanted to believe the boys in the back, but he'd heard them exaggerate things, and tell very convincing stories plenty of times before. Besides, Chunji seemed so cool about the whole thing: he'd never known someone to take that sort of teasing so easily before, except when it was completely in jest: when there was no way it was true. So, it probably wasn't true, right?