Chapter 26

Delusions of Grandeur

 

“Now what was so important you had to come drag me home from work?” Niel demanded, tiredly. “I couldn't afford for you to get sidetracked on your way home.” Chunji replied, cheerfully. Niel gave him a suspicious look, wandering over to collapse onto the lounge. “Alright, what did I miss?” he asked, mentally preparing himself for anything that might follow his question.

 

“Okay so I was talking to Ricky earlier, and I've realised that I need your help with something.” Chunji informed him, sliding into the seat beside Niel, knocking the younger boy's feet out of his way to be able to make himself comfortable, earning himself a frown from Niel in return. “And why should I help you?” he drawled, disinterested, eyelids slipping closed.

 

“It's got to do with L. Joe.” Chunji whispered hurriedly, eyeing the doorway into the kitchen distractedly, as though he was worried that L. Joe was in the room right at that moment and would overhear what he said.

 

Immediately Niel's eyes shoot open, checking to make sure Chunji was being serious about that comment, and not just trying to attract his attention. Taking into account Chunji's flushed cheeks, and concerned gaze hovering over the kitchen doorway, he knew it was for real, and a wide grin adorned his features. “Okay, you've got my attention what about him?” he demanded.

 

“I like him.” he mumbled softly, wringing his hands in his lap, uncomfortable with what he was saying. Noting Niel's wide smirk he groaned, all nervousness seeping out of his body as he glared at the other boy, half-heartedly. “Knock it off.”

 

“So what's the problem, then?” Niel asked, eyeing his friend, excitedly. “He doesn't like me yet.” Chunji answered, with a sigh. Niel paused for a second, chucking an intrigued look Chunji's way. “Are you sure about that?” he demanded. Chunji sent the other boy an odd look, “Yeah I'm pretty sure I've never heard L. Joe confess having feelings for me.” he pointed out.

 

“Oh. Then why has he been cracking down on us so much?” Niel questioned aloud. Chunji turned to him surprised, “What do you mean?” he enquired. Niel just hook his head, “and here I thought he was doing all that stuff as a way of showing that he cares about you. Oh well. Guess not.” shaking the matter off, making no attempt to answer Chunji's question.

 

“So, what do you want me to do about it? Scare him into liking you? Beat him up? What?” Niel enquired, amused. Chunji rolled his eyes at Niel's automatic leap to intimidation, “No. I want you help. You're the best at this sort of thing, so I was hoping you could help me make him fall in love with me?” Chunji asked, biting his lip.

 

Niel paused, considering the matter for a moment, almost like he wanted to argue with Chunji about his comment. However his eyes rolled skyward, his fingers tapping as he pondered the problem Chunji had presented him with. His features lit up, as invisible dots were connected one by one before his eyes.

 

“I've got it. I've got the perfect plan.” Niel exclaimed, triumphantly, making Chunji crow with delight clapping at his friend's ingenuity. Neil basked in the attention, until the flat words of disbelief echoed round the room, interrupting their moment.

 

“If you came up with it, then it can't possibly be perfect.” the snide comment came, making Niel frown, turning behind him to glare darkly at whoever dared to insult his skills. His glare intensified when it fell on Changjo, who was now leaning on the back of the lounge, chewing on some chocolate he'd just stolen from the kitchen bench.

 

His arm shot out before Changjo could recognise his mistake in coming within range, and a loud smack reverberated around the silent living room, as Niel caught him soundly round the back of the head. Changjo winced, the remainder of the chocolate he'd been holding, dropping onto the back of the lounge as he winced in pain.

 

“Ow! What did you do that for?” he demanded, tears welling in his eyes from the pain of the hit. Niel's glare only darkened, his arms crossing in a huff, “Serves you right for dissing me. You got what was coming to you.” he snarled. Changjo turned his watery eyes on Chunji, hoping the older boy would take his side, but Chunji was unsympathetic.

 

“Sorry Changjo, but you really should know by now that it's not a good idea to disagree with Niel.” he said with a shrug. “You didn't even hear me out.” Niel grumbled, pouting slightly. Changjo wrinkled his nose in distaste “Ew. Don't ever do that again.” he stated, this time jumping backwards, out of Niel's reach before the older boy could get him.

 

Niel propped himself up against the back of the lounge, shaking his fist in Changjo's direction. “Just you wait. I'll get you when you're sleeping!” he hissed, but Changjo only stuck his tongue out at him, going to take another bite out of his chocolate, only to realise it was still resting against the back of the lounge.

 

Trying to stay as far away from Niel as possible he slid back over towards the lounge. “So what is this plan of yours?” Chunji enquired, his question distracting Niel so that Changjo could get close enough to grab his chocolate and duck back out of range again. But instead of fleeing the room, Changjo moved to stand behind Chunji's head, resting up against the back of the lounge once again, curious what Niel's answer would be.

 

“Simple. I'll have a word with him and make him see the truth behind his feelings.” Niel stated proudly. Chunji glanced at the other boy nervously, trying to figure out the best way to word his concerns about the plan without angering the other boy. The last thing he needed would be to anger Niel right now: the boy knew too much.

 

“Are you sure you should be getting involved in all this?” Changjo questioned, staring blankly at the older boy, unfazed by the thought of earning Niel's wrath. “Why shouldn't I? I'm the best person for it.” Niel argued petulantly.

 

“How do you work that one out?” Changjo asked, one eyebrow raised. “Easy. Because I've got experience with these matters, I am going out with CAP after all.” Niel bragged, but Changjo just scoffed in response to that. “You two aren't going out, you're buddies.” he countered. Niel shuffled slightly, “Near enough.” Niel stated lamely.

 

“I'm not sure I want to be buddies with L. Joe.” Chunji stated doubtfully. “Why not? All of the good stuff without any of the hassle.” Changjo commented, earning himself another reproachful glare from Niel. “But I really like him. He's sweet.” Chunji mumbled. Niel waved the younger boy off, “See? Chunji's all mushy for L. Joe, so the best thing is to leave me to my work. I'll make them a couple in no time. Then they can move onto screwing each other.” Niel crowed, full of confidence.

 

Changjo turned to regard Chunji over the back of the lounge. “Don't worry Chunji, I'm sure you and L. Joe will end up together at the end of all this.” he said, reassuringly, before sending a smirk at Niel and adding on “Despite Niel's help.” and racing out of the room, as the older boy tried to dive over the lounge and grab him.