Chapter 21

Delusions of Grandeur

Chunji's heart thudded erratically as he approached Mr Kim's room, alone. He knew the other boys wouldn't be there, he'd told them not to be, already knowing full well that they would have some idea of what had happened on Friday evening. He wasn't a hundred percent sure whether they'd just left the room very quickly or had taken his oblique words as an invitation to take a day off of school.

 

At this point he didn't really care one way or the other. He had bigger things to worry about. Like what he was going to say to Mr Kim, for L. Joe. The whole situation felt awkward and uncomfortable for him, but he'd had the weekend to prepare himself for this moment. He reminded himself that the whole thing would feel much worse for L. Joe than it would for him, if he refused to do this for him. But he'd promised he'd take care of everything, and he didn't want to put the other boy through any more than he'd already endured.

 

He noticed the way Mr Kim's eyes flashed as he entered his classroom, while the older man proceeded to erase his notes from the whiteboard. He couldn't decide whether the grimace was from seeing him, or the thought of the message he might be there to deliver. “Oh it's you.... listen, Chunji there's something you should know....” Mr Kim began, looking decidedly uncomfortable at the prospect of talking to him one on one.

 

“You don't have to worry about that Mr Kim, I already know about it.... that's kind of why I'm here.” he explained, feeling even more awkward about the whole thing now that they had started speaking about it.

 

“Oh. I'm sorry you had to find out about it this way Chunji, but I think it's for the best. Nothing you say will convince me to change my mind about this.” Mr Kim stated, tone firm. Chunji looked at the other man confused, “What are you talking about Mr Kim? What do you think I'm here to say?”

 

“Chunji, you're not making this any easier by feigning ignorance.” Mr Kim chastised him, making Chunji's face flush horribly despite himself. “I'm not feigning anything.” he retorted, trying to work out what Mr Kim was trying to say to him.

 

“Please, Chunji, don't make this any harder than it has to be. I'm trying to spare your feelings here. I'd really prefer it this way, wouldn't you?” he pressed. “I don't have a clue what you're talking about.” Chunji snapped, getting frustrated with those patronising, pitying eyes Mr Kim kept looking at him with.

 

“I'm talking about you Chunji. I was really hoping we could avoid this, but if you really want me to drag it all out in the open, I will.” Mr Kim stated, his eyes flashing with what almost looked like a threat. “Drag what out in the open?” Chunji demanded, frustrated. Why was Mr Kim making it so difficult? He only came here to reject him, on L. Joe's behalf. At least his attitude was attenuating any sympathy Chunji might've been going to feel for him as a result of this whole unfortunate incident.

 

“So be it.” Mr Kim sighed, with what almost sounded like defeat, before his gaze locked onto Chunji's, staring him straight in the eye, “I know You have feelings for me Chunji.” he stated, flatly. A jolt of panic went through Chunji, his blush darkening horribly, despite the ice shooting through his veins.

 

“Oh yes, you thought I didn't notice? The giggling and flushing, the way you'd look at me, I saw it all Chunji. I've known about your feelings ever since the beginning.” Mr Kim stated, almost proudly, delighting in the fear he must've seen written across Chunji's face. “I tried to spare your feelings, I hoped that if I pretended I didn't notice, your feelings would go away on their own. After all this time, one would think you would have gotten over this, but apparently not. I'm sorry that the news about me and L. Joe upset you Chunji. I'm sorry that it had to be with one of your friends, but you've just got to accept the fact that I don't reciprocate your feelings and move on with your life.” Mr Kim stated, calmly.

 

Chunji's heart thudded painfully at the reminder of the betrayal, but he pushed the hurt aside, struggling to grapple with his own embarrassment. He'd just gotten rejected. The fact that he didn't even like Mr Kim anymore did nothing to ease his shame, his face hot from the flush in his cheeks. He couldn't think of any intelligible thing to say to Mr Kim's comment, needing to deliver his message, wanting to refute what the other man had said but without embarrassing the older man by contradicting him. “B-but...I....” he began uncertainly.

 

A look of irritation flashed across Mr Kim's face, as he pinched the bridge of his nose. He sighed a derisive look flashing across his face as he regarded the boy before him. “Have you really not figured it out, even now? I don't like you Chunji. I don't want to be with you, and nothing you can say to me right now is going to make me change my mind.” he snapped.

 

“Good, because I don't want to be with you. I don't even want anything to do with you.” Chunji shot back, his shame forcing his tongue into motion before he could stop himself, “The only reason I'm even here in the first place is because L. Joe asked me to come. He wanted me to tell you that Friday night was a mistake.” Chunji spat, clasping his hands over his mouth in alarm at the realisation of what he just said.

 

That definitely wasn't how he'd been on putting it. So much for tact.

 

Mr Kim froze, face stunned, as he observed Chunji for a moment. He shook his head, a look of complete disappointment taking over his features. “Chunji, I knew you might not take this news well, but for you to go to these lengths.... I thought you were better than this... L. Joe is your friend, I would've thought that you could try to be happy for him, but instead you come round here, trying to ruin our relationship, why? For your own gain? For revenge?” he demanded, contemptuously.

 

“What relationship? You guys had spontaneous in a hotel on Friday night, after having a few too many drinks.” Chunji countered, cheeks flaring hotly. He couldn't believe this was all coming back on him; that he was being called a liar. He hadn't even wanted to do this in the first place. He was only doing what L. Joe asked him to do, and he still gets called a liar because Mr Kim thought that he wanted to get something out of ruining their relationship. He couldn't care less about them having a stupid relationship!

 

That thought stunned him slightly. He'd had a bit of a thing for Mr Kim for years now, and now all of a sudden, he doesn't care when he gets stolen way? How could that be? How could that make any sense?

 

And yet, that's the way he felt. He didn't really care. Yes he was embarrassed by this conversation, and he felt really uncomfortable, and even a little bit angry at the accusations that he was there with bad intentions, but apart from that, he didn't care. He was completely indifferent. The only reason he was even there was because of L. Joe.

 

Mr Kim sent him a forlorn look. “Chunji, you have to let these feelings of yours go.” he murmured softly, piteously. Chunji had a feeling that his comment had struck him, probably making him feel guilty, and thus inspiring him to keep his temper in check. “You still think this is about you? You think I want anything to do with you?” Chunji cried, amazed. “How hard is it for you to get this through your thick head? I don't like you. If it weren't for L. Joe begging me to come, I wouldn't even be here, but he couldn't face you again. He regrets Friday night, okay? He says it was a mistake and he wants you to forget it ever happened.” Chunji enunciated, very carefully.

 

He could see it in Mr Kim's eyes that the other man still doubted him: still didn't believe him. Chunji huffed, irately, “If he didn't regret it, why would he sneak out from the motel room, while you slept? Why would he avoid all contact with you since then, making sure not to come anywhere near the school for fear of having to confront you” Chunji demanded.

 

He saw Mr Kim's eyes widen in shock, “How did you know that part?” he demanded, voice trembling slightly. Chunji kind of wanted to feel sorry for him, but he felt too angry to empathise with the other man: the source of his frustration. “Maybe because I was there? I was the one that he called in the middle of the night to come get him from that motel room. I'm the one that checked he didn't leave anything behind, and brought him to stay with friends. That's how I know.” Chunji explained.

 

He saw Mr Kim, swallow hollowly, his hand coming up to rub at his eyes, suddenly looking ten years older. He looked so tired, and old that it took Chunji back for a moment, never having seen Mr Kim so lacking in energy. He seemed to crumple in on himself, as he moved over to sit down in his seat. “So that's it then. That's the truth.” Mr Kim stated, softly.

 

The abrupt change startled Chunji something horribly. He was overcome with a wave of guilt, wondering if he'd spoken to roughly with the older man, convinced that he'd be able to handle it: forgetting that he had a heart too, and would be hurt by the news. “Are you okay, Mr Kim?” he questioned, shuffling uncomfortably, as he took in the sight of the older man.

 

Mr Kim nodded slightly, hand covering his mouth as he thought to himself. “I'll manage.” he murmured, his eyes looking a little misty. “Are you sure?” Chunji pushed. Mr Kim, nodded again, “Just go, Chunji.” he whispered softly. Chunji kind of wanted to leave, to just follow the older man's instruction, and yet he felt like he couldn't.

 

He took a hesitant step closer, lightly laying his hand on the older man's shoulder. “I know this really right now, and the way I said it doesn't make it any better, but.... It'll get better, you know? He....L. Joe's... He's really immature, he still acts like a kid.... He's too young for you... You need to find someone more mature: at the same stage in life as yourself. There are plenty of people, perfect for you, so don't get too caught up in the one who wasn't, okay? ” Chunji advised.

 

Mr Kim touched the younger boy's hand, gently, “Thank you for being so kind, Chunji. I'm sorry about what I said, earlier.” he said. “It's okay.” Chunji answered, surprised to find that he really did mean it.