Chapter 23

Delusions of Grandeur

“You can't be serious.” L. Joe stated, tone completely deadpan as he stared at the boy opposite him, as though he couldn't believe what Chunji was asking of him. “I am.” Chunji disagrees, trying to push L. Joe further into the change rooms, to join their friends.

 

L. Joe shoves his hands away, shaking his head drastically, “No, no, no, you're wrong. No way, it's not happening.” he stammered, waving his hands in Chunji's face horrified and embarrassed just by the thought of what the other boy was asking him to do.

 

“Come on, it's no big deal.” Chunji huffed, crossing his arms across his chest, annoyed, rolling his eyes at the other boy. “If it's no big deal then why are you trying to make me do it?” he demanded cheeks quickly flooding to a horridly red colour.

 

“Because.” Chunji stated, stumbling slightly at the unexpected question: he hadn't really thought out what he was demanding, at the time that he announced it to the other boy. He could see how his request probably came across as more than a little strange, but at the same time, he couldn't go back on it now.

 

“Because you got embarrassed over it, you mean.” L. Joe mocked, noting the way Chunji's eyes darkened at the words. “Knock it off L. Joe. Just do it.” he hissed, but L. Joe turned embarrassed eyes on him. “I don't see what the big deal is Chunji. I've see you greet random people with a smile, on the street at university, after Changjo dacked you that time. You just stood there and grinned in your boxers, despite seeing the way the girls reacted to you and you just laughed it off. What makes this so much worse than that time, that you feel the need to humiliate me too?” he demanded.

 

“That was different, you couldn't see anything that time, but this time you could see...” Chunji trailed off, embarrassed, despite himself, just from the memory of what had happened. “Everything.” L. Joe agreed, earning himself a reproachful glare from the older boy. “Exactly. And you laughed at me, so now you have to do it too.” Chunji demanded childishly.

 

“I wasn't laughing at you per se, you know. I was laughing about the fact that you got dacked: at the look on your face. From what I saw, there was no reason for me to be laughing at your body.” he teased, sending Chunji a cocky grin, eyes raking down the older boy's body making him cover himself instinctively.

 

“Maybe so, but I won't know for sure until you're humiliated too. So drop 'em.” Chunji demanded, moving closer to the younger boy, making as if he'd dack L. Joe himself if the younger boy wouldn't do it. “No! Why can't you just let the moment go? No one even remembers it, I'm sure. It's water under the bridge, just let it go.” L. Joe stammered, trying to make Chunji back up, terrified that the other boy would follow through with the implied threat.

 

“Now that wouldn't be any fun. I've showed you mine. All the other guys showed you theirs. Now it's your turn to repay the favour.” Chunji explained, a cheeky grin adorning his boyish features, making L. Joe's mouth go dry, before Chunji's words sunk in to him. He scoffed, his nose crinkling with disgust, “I didn't want to see anything, you know?” but Chunji shook his head, “Don't care. The fact is that you saw, and none of us have seen you. So you're going to go in there and flash everyone.” Chunji ordered.

 

“No. I refuse.” L. Joe stated, staring Chunji dead in the eye, sincerely hopeful that coming across as confident, might spare him from the humiliation of exposing himself to everyone else. “Please?” Chunji asked, bottom lip quivering. L. Joe shook his head, refusing to give in to Chunji's attempts to cajole him into changing his mind on the matter.

 

“Even if I call in my favour?” Chunji asked, quietly, L. Joe's eyebrows immediately shooting up with his horror and fear. “You wouldn't call me on that for something like this, would you?” he demanded, eyes imploring Chunji to change his mind. He thought that he could see Chunji hesitating: wavering slightly under his scrutiny but the older boy shook his head, “I would, and I am. Do this, and I'll consider us even.” he stated softly.

 

L. Joe's heart flipped erratically, but he knew there was nothing he could do about it. He'd given Chunji his word that he'd follow through on his promise: that he'd grant Chunji whatever he wanted, no matter what, and Chunji had called him on it. “I can't believe you're being such a baby about this. I mean yes, Changjo dacked you when we were out in the pool area, and I saw you're.... But I mean you dacked him back, and Niel and Ricky and Minsoo, so why would you waste a favour from me, to make me dack myself in the change rooms before we go home?” he grumbled softly, not really caring whether Chunji heard him or not.

 

“Because I'm a bit y and get off on the thought of you flashing me and the rest of the guys as we get changed?” he suggested lightly, a playful grin etched upon his lips as L. Joe rolled his eyes at him, storming into the change rooms, with purpose.

 

Apart from Changjo who was already in the process of getting changed, the other guys were in the shower cubicles. They looked over at them making noises and kisssy faces as L. Joe walked past them, to get to the free cubicle at the end of the row, head ducked down to avoid the looks they were giving him as they teased them. Chunji on the other hand was staring them dead in the eye, blowing kisses their way as he pushed his way into the nearest cubicle, knocking Ricky out of the way.

 

The younger boy grumbled something to himself about already being done anyway and continued past Chunji to join Changjo, getting dressed. Chunji only ducked under the shower head, giving himself a quick rinse, before he too was over the other side, leisurely drying himself as he watched L. Joe from where he stood.

 

L. Joe tried staying under the spray of water for as long as he could, hoping that he might get washed down the drain with it and thus avoid embarrassing himself. But everytime he opened his eyes he saw Chunji smiling back at him, waving his hands about impatiently, trying to draw L. Joe out of the shower. Chunji clearly wanted him to just get it over and done with, so he could stop feeling so embarrassed.

 

It was for that reason that L. Joe took as long as he possibly could. He would've stayed in even longer if he could've. Unfortunately a few quick hand gestures from Chunji once he realised L. Joe was dawdling, sent Niel crashing into his cubicle, dragging him out from his safety zone and into the cold air of the change room.

 

The other guys were pretty much dressed, though Ricky was over by the mirror, drying his hair with a hair-dryer he'd apparently brought with him. He hadn't put his jacket on yet ether, apparently not having wanted to risk getting it wet while he dried his hair. Apart from him though, everyone was just waiting for him to get dressed so they could leave.

 

L. Joe could feel himself trembling as he set about getting changed, able to feel Chunji's eyes fixated on him the entire time, making him feel even more uncomfortable. He'd run through the scenario a hundred times in his head, while he showered. All the guys changed under their towels. He'd just make sure to “accidentally” drop his after he'd taken his costume off but before he'd put his underwear on. Simple.

 

But the thought of actually doing it was giving him heart palpitations.

 

Swallowing all his nerves, with a big gust of air as he reminded himself that he'd promised to do this, he allowed the material of the towel to fall to the ground, freezing for a second in mortification before he scrambled to wrap his towel around himself once more. His friends let loose a whole stream of whistles and comments, that dyed his entire face red, his hands shaking as they clenched his towel as though his life depended on it.

 

He could hear his friend's raucous laughter reverberating around his skull, making it hard for him to breathe through his shame. He couldn't bare the thought of trying to look any of them in the eye for a little while. But despite his current sentiments he found himself glancing up slightly through his fringe, seeking out the gaze of one boy in particular.

 

Chunji's face was lit up with a mischievous grin as he left his eyes resting on L. Joe's form, superimposing the sight that had met his eyes mere seconds before onto his current posture. It took him a moment to notice L. Joe's hopeful looks: his shaken friend clearly searching for his approval. His grin widened, as he sent his friend a nod, leaving L. Joe in peace to drop his head forward once more, bowing to hide himself from his embarrassment as he scrambled to pull his clothes on hastily.

 

“Yuck, guys, he's at it again.” Ricky complained, intruding on the other boy's good mood at L. Joe's expense. The comment was unexpected enough that L. Joe's head immediately shot up, ready to deny any intentions on repeating his little display only to find the younger boy wasn't looking at him.

 

Instead, his disapproving stare was fixed squarely on Chunji. “What did I do now?” Chunji questioned innocently, hunching his shoulders to try and make himself look cute and hopefully avoid Ricky's complaint. “Don't you give me that! You were leering at L. Joe! It's not his fault his towel fell down you know.” Ricky accused the older boy, crossing his arms authoritatively.

 

“I wasn't the only one looking at him, you guys saw it too.” he stated defensively, creeping closer to L. Joe as the other boy threaded his belt through the loops in his jeans. “That was different. We were looking, you were leering. You're so gross.” Ricky whined. “I don't know what you mean.” Chunji sniffed, affronted by the accusation.

 

Niel stepped closer to the older boy, grabbing him by his right ear, and yanking him down into a crouching position as he begged the younger boy to release him. “Sorry about him L. Joe. You're going to have to keep an eye on him from now on. He also has a habit of putting his hands where they don't belong.” he accused, tightening his grip on Chunji's ear ever so lightly drawing a yelp from the older boy between mumbled pleas to release him.

 

“Yeah, yeah. Just leave the kid alone alright?” Niel demanded, mumbling something that sounded suspiciously like “y bastard” under his breath as he gave Chunji a none too gentle shove towards the exit, the other boys following behind him, hard stares fixed firmly on the older boy. “Oh and by the way.” Niel said, turning back to scrutinise the scrawny boy before him, as he put his costume and towel away in his bag.

 

“Yeah?” he asked, feeling a little intimidated by the way Niel was staring at him at that moment. He always felt awkward when the two of them were alone. Though he was the older one, and many could be confused for thinking they had similar builds, L. Joe was certain the younger boy could snap him in two in a heartbeat. “Nice architecture. You, you can call me.” he stated cockily, sending L. Joe a teasing wink before he walked out of the change rooms.

 

L. Joe felt his face flood with colour at the thought of the younger boy's teasing words, before he realised that they'd left him behind. Hurriedly he grabbed his bag racing out of the change rooms, praying that the guys would forget all about this unfortunate little incident soon enough.