Chapter 24

Delusions of Grandeur

 

“Are you sure there's nothing I can do?” L. Joe tried again for what had to be the third time in as many minutes, staring down at the older boy worriedly. “I'm sure L. Joe. It's alright I've got things under control.” the older boy answered as he flipped a page in his book, quickly scribbling something down in his workbook as his eyes hurriedly scanned the page.

 

“I can't believe that. With all that you're doing right now, are you sure there's nothing I can take off your hands?” he tried again, eager for an opportunity to fulfil his promise.

 

“We've been over this before L. Joe. Your obligations to repay me ended the moment you flashed me.” he responded, flashing the younger boy a quick grin, knowing his words would embarrass the other boy.

 

“You say that but I still feel like I got off easy.” L. Joe commented uneasily, raking his fingers through his hair distractedly, missing the incredulous look the older boy sent him. “Got off lightly? It took me 10 minutes to convince you to do it, then you procrastinated for another 10 minutes in that stupid shower, and after it was over you refused to look any of us in the eye for 2 weeks. But you think you got off easy?” Chunji demanded, astounded by the younger boy's claim.

 

“Well, yeah I know it was embarrassing and all, but still...” L. Joe trailed off, his cheeks darkening slightly at the reminder of the event from the pools a few weeks earlier. “I mean after what I put you through, flashing you guys once isn't really fair.” he explained, nervously. “It's more than fair. I got what I wanted, I don't need you to do anything else for me.” Chunji assured the other boy.

 

“Sure you don't. I'll bet you just don't trust me to take care of any of your precious projects. You probably think I'll destroy them.” he stated, petulantly, before sending the older boy an intrigued look. “Should I be concerned about the fact you wanted to see me ?” he asked, teasingly. Chunji sent him a grin, shrugging his shoulders, “Your choice really.” he answered distractedly, “Besides, I know you could do it. I just don't want you to.” he explained.

 

L. Joe just shook his head with a sigh. He was here, putting it all out on the line: prepared to do anything Chunji asked of him, and the other boy insisted on being so obstinate as to refuse. Why couldn't he juts give L. Joe things that he could do, so that he could feel like he was working off his debt to the other boy, even if Chunji didn't believe such a debt still existed.

 

“Look just take a rest. I've seen the way you've been stressing so much lately over your work, you deserve to take a break.” Chunji offered, pleased to see that it looked like L. Joe was going to take him up on the offer.

 

“Hey, Chunji can I have a lift?” Ricky asked, all of a sudden appearing over the back of the lounge, making both boys look up to meet his gaze. “Where would you need a lift to?” Chunji enquired, puzzled, not recalling anything from Ricky's schedule that should have been coming up at that time. “My friend Minho is having a sleepover and he invited me to come, and I said I would. CAP already said I could go, only he's not here, so could you drop me off?” Ricky asked, lips quickly forming into an adorable pout in the hopes of bolstering his chances of getting taken out.

 

Chunji sighed deeply making as if he was going to get up, only for L. Joe's hand to shoot out pressing him back against the lounge. “Don't worry, I'll take him.” L. Joe offered, catching the way Chunji looked at him stunned, out of the corner of his eye. “Are you sure?” Chunji questioned, biting his lip in concern.

 

L. Joe waved off his concerns. “Sure. I can handle it. Be back in no time.” he assured, looking up at the younger boy, who bent down to wrap his arms around L. Joe's neck, hugging him in gratitude. “When do you have to be there?” L. Joe enquired, with a strangled sigh, thanks to Ricky's firm grip on his throat.

 

“In about 20 minutes.” he assured the other boy. L. Joe paused for a second. “How far away does he live?” something about the way Ricky spoke telling him he should be suspicious. “About 20 minutes.” Ricky repeated sending L. Joe an innocently blank look, “We should get going, don't you think? I don't want to be late.” he stated, releasing the older boy in the hope that it'd make him move faster.

 

L. Joe scoffed slightly to himself. “You sneaky little brat. What would you have done if we'd said we weren't going to drive you? How would you have gotten there then?” he probed, leisurely tying his shoelaces. “As if you'd do that. Chunji's never refused to give us a lift before, why would he now?” he asked, tapping his foot quickly in irritation. “Can we go now?” he demanded impatiently.

 

“Yeah, alright.” L. Joe responded. Only to see Niel and Changjo crowding over by the door next to Ricky jabbering excitedly. “What are you guys doing?” Chunji questioned hurriedly, tone disapproving.

 

“We're friend's of Minho's too, so we're all going to the party.” Changjo explained. Chunji gave them uncertain looks, “Are you sure you should be going out tonight. You still have school tomorrow you know, and you're not having the day off because you're going to a party tonight. Besides CAP will be very concerned if you go out to a party mid-week again Niel. You remember what happened last time don't you?” Chunji pressed, knowing his words had their intended effect when the younger boy shivered slightly.

 

“This is nothing like that, Chunji. I'm not stupid enough to slip out without his knowledge again: he knows where I'm going. Besides he was only really worked up about that because of the alcohol. I can assure you, Minho doesn't throw my kind of parties. I'm going to be bored as all hell.” he commented, scowling thoroughly.

 

“If you don't like it so much, then why are you going?” Chunji enquired, confused. “Because we said that he had to come. If Niel didn't come then Changjo wouldn't come, and I wasn't about to be left all alone at Minho's place. Imagine what they might do to me.” the young boy squeaked panicked and horrified by whatever scenarios he had concocted while both of the other boys shook their heads at his over-active imagination.

 

“Come on. In the car.” L. Joe shouted, hustling them out of the room, sending Chunji a tired wave, his respect for Chunji quadrupling after listening to them for five minutes. How did the other boy mange to put up with them doing this all the time?

 

“Oh, one last thing.” he shouted, drawing them closer to him, before they could scurry down the hallway to avoid what he wanted to say to them all. The other boys leaned in closely, eagerly anticipating a secret correspondence.

 

“You guys have to stop being so lazy, alright? Chunji's already snowed under with his own work, but he always takes time out to help you all with your assessment tasks, because he cares about your future. Sometimes I get the impression he's the only one that does. While you're out at parties like tonight, he helps you prepare for your essays. He hasn't gotten a full night's sleep for over 3 weeks. Now, I'm still going to take you to this Minho guy's place tonight. But you only have a few more weeks until the end of term. Can you guys try and put in some effort so Chunji can stop covering for you?” he pleaded, readying himself for the possibility that he might have to resort to threats if they wouldn't listen to his words.

 

The other boys blinked, looking around to each other innocently, varying levels of guilt clearly evident in their eyes. All eyes settled on Niel who was clearly the one left to reach a decision on the matter for all three of them. He met L. Joe's eyes, staring at him hard. Instinctively L. Joe swallowed hard, trying to convince himself that he wasn't intimidated by the other boy anymore: that looking out for Chunji had to take priority over his own fears.

 

“Alright. We'll work harder until the end of the year.” Niel agreed, sending the older boy a smug grin, that made L. Joe feel cornered though he wasn't sure why. “Come on, let's get going.” he stated, the small group quickly breaking up heading towards L. Joe's car in the parking lot downstairs.

 

L. Joe couldn't help but grin proudly to himself as he considered what happened. Not only had he taken one of the little road trips Chunji was so often made to do off his hands, but he'd also managed to lighten the other boy's workload as well. Hopefully this would make it easier for him to focus on his own work. L. Joe knew he had a couple of tasks coming up soon.

 

It felt nice to do things for Chunji. Though these acts alone couldn't get anywhere near repaying the debt he owed to the older boy.