Chapter 12

Delusions of Grandeur

A:N/ I'm so sorry i didn't update yesterday. I have no excuse. I was planning on updating and it just kept getting pushed back until I forgot all about it. I'm really sorry if I disappointed you yesterday, but I'm going to post yesterday's chapter and today's chapter now....Or in another words...double update so you're not behind where you should be!!!!

Part 1/2 of your double update (aka yesterday's chapter)

Tee hee, where I'm sitting right now as I update, is where I imagined L. Joe sitting at the start of this chapter!

- -

 

L. Joe sat with his legs crossed on one of the lounges near his next classroom. He had a break for a couple of hours, and since he didn't have anything he needed to do instead, he decided that it was about time he did something fun. That was how he found himself in his current position, headphones blocking out the noise of those around him, as he played with his music making software on his laptop.

 

He'd made his parents buy it for him for his birthday, but he was still exploring the software. He'd insisted that he wanted the most extensive (and thus expensive) music software he could find. He'd had to scour through forums on computer software to find it. The program had rave reviews, but it was so outside the world of most people, that he had to buy it online, unable to get anything remotely similar to it from the stores.

 

Now that he had some spare time, he'd decided he felt like mixing a song. After the structured lessons he took while at university during the day, the opportunity to be a little creative and just have fun with his music was a godsend.

 

He'd still been flicking through some menus trying to decide what sort of music he wanted in this particular piece when the chair rumbled, telling him that someone had sat in the seat behind him. He could feel a persistent discomfort coming from behind him, and he turned to face the person he suspected was watching his computer screen, only to feel his heart jolt uncomfortably as he found someone familiar seated behind him.

 

“Oh, hi CAP.” he stated, hoping that the other boy couldn't see the way his hand slid to rest over his racing heart, not wanting the other boy to realise that he scared him. He was pretty sure his cheeks flushed darkly, at the realisation he'd been mere seconds away from yelling or glaring at his idol for disturbing him.

 

If CAP heard his greeting, or noticed his nervousness, there was no indication of it in his features. “That looks like a pretty sweet music program you've got there.” he stated, eyes never wavering from their target.

 

“Uh I suppose so.” L. Joe responded back nervously. No one else had ever seen his program, despite how much he'd whined in order to get his parents to purchase it for him. He didn't like to flash his possessions around, worried that it might tempt someone into trying to steal it from him.

 

“You would've needed to buy it online, yeah?” CAP questioned, gaze only moving up to L. Joe's face for a second before they were back on his screen once more. L. Joe was half-convinced that CAP wasn't even aware that he was talking to someone he knew. He wasn't even certain that CAP was aware he'd sat with his friends, and hung around with the group for over a month now.

 

“Yeah.” L. Joe confirmed, his mouth starting to go dry as the moment was dragged out, time seeming to slow down, with the intent of intensifying L. Joe's discomfort with the whole situation. He'd spent so long dying to get a moment alone between the two of them, that now that it had finally happened, he felt like he couldn't breathe.

 

“I figured as much. I've tried getting a system like that myself, a few months ago, but the quality of those programs you get in the stores isn't even worth the expense. You can only get good stuff online these days.” CAP commented, though L. Joe felt like he was speaking more to himself than he was to L. Joe.

 

“So, what are you into anyway?” CAP asked, his gaze sliding back to L. Joe again, fixing him in place. CAP's tone had been simple enough, but L. Joe still felt intimidated by the other boy. His lips trembled as he forced himself to answer the other boy quickly, not wanting to anger him by taking too long. “Just music in general really. I enjoy messing around with the rhythm and the tempo and the way everything sounds, you know?” he explained, wringing his fingers in his lap, out of CAP's sight in order to calm himself down enough so that he'd be able to answer him.

 

“Ah, I get you. So then your projects are probably instrumental, yeah?” CAP questioned, rubbing his chin thoughtfully, as his gaze slid back down to his laptop screen again. L. Joe was half-tempted to twist it around, so that CAP wouldn't be able to see the window: he was starting to get self-conscious.

 

“Yeah that's right.” L. Joe answered softly. “Interesting, because I'm kind of interested in song writing. Don't suppose you'd like to collaborate on a piece sometime?” he questioned. L. Joe thought he must've died, or at the very least, misheard what the other boy was suggesting. There was simply no way that his idol had just asked him if he wanted to hang out, and to bond over a shared interest, no less!

 

“Sure!” he exclaimed, hoping that he wasn't as loud to everyone else's ears as he had been in his own. CAP nodded, “Cool. How about you come over on Friday afternoon, say around 3 pm?” CAP asked.

 

“Sounds good. But I don't know where you live.” L. Joe stated sheepishly. CAP stared at him, as though only just realising who he was talking to. He blinked a few times, “Yeah right. Of course. I'm so used to seeing you around the rest of the gang, it's hard to remember you're a new recruit. Are you at uni that day?” he asked.

 

“Yeah. But my classes end before 3, so don't worry.” L. Joe assured. “I'll pick you up from the soccer grounds, how's that sound?” CAP asked.

 

“Sounds good.” L. Joe commented. “Cool, I'll see you then.” CAP stated, standing and starting to walk away, only to come to a stop and look back at the other boy a second later. “Oh and don't go talking about this to Chunji, alright? Wouldn't want him to feel jealous, now would we?” he stated, winking in L. Joe's direction before disappearing down the hallway.

 

L. Joe waited a full five minutes after he'd disappeared from his line of sight, before he allowed himself to crumble back into the lounge, overwhelmed by his own excitement. He couldn't wait until Friday.