Chapter 11

Delusions of Grandeur

 

Thinking hadn't gotten him anywhere. The more he puzzled over the matter, the more he found himself at a loss as to what he could do for Chunji, that the other boy would appreciate. Despite how close they were, and how much they talked, he found himself at a loss. Chunji didn't talk about what he wanted or needed, and attempts to get them out of him only resulted in a defeated shrug from the other boy, who couldn't think of anything.

 

He decided, he'd have to put thoughts of doing something to thank Chunji for giving him that lift home aside for more important matters. Maybe he'd have a better idea of what he could do in a few months' time?

 

But the incident with the train delays, had caused him to do some more thinking, not related to Chunji per se. The whole experience had made him realise that he hadn't been paying enough attention to getting his licence. It was one of those things that he'd wanted but that had kind of been forgotten about when he'd moved back to Korea for university.

 

He'd only had a learner's permit back home. When he realised he still had about 10 hours outstanding in his logbook, he'd wanted to get rid of them right away. But his parents were working all the time, leaving him to use public transport. But the recent delays had got him thinking again. If he'd been able to drive he would not have been affected by the delays.

 

Before he'd been stopped because he had no one to take him out for those 10 hours. He'd needed a fully licensed driver to be in the car with him. Well, now that he'd made some friends at university, all the pieces seemed to click together in his mind. He had two friends his age with licences: Chunji and CAP.

 

Surely one of them would be prepared to take him out for 10 hours worth of driving lessons, so he could sit the test, so that he'd be able to upgrade his licence. He still wouldn't have a full licence, but at least he'd be able to drive by himself then: he wouldn't need anyone else in the car with him.

 

He knew that Chunji had a licence, and he was so helpful with everyone else, the chances were good that Chunji would say yes. Really there was no reason for L. Joe to avoid asking him. Although, Chunji was already very busy helping everyone else; maybe he wouldn't be able to find the time to help L. Joe too.

 

But despite his close friendship with Chunji, L. Joe found himself considering the idea of asking CAP to take him out instead. He knew that CAP had given Changjo a lift home from the station, so he must have a licence. Plus it set a precedent of his being helpful to his friends. So that meant there was at least a slight chance that CAP might say yes.

 

Besides, as much as he loved Chunji and the other guys, CAP was his idol. The whole reason he'd been so elated Chunji had made friends with him in the first place, was because it meant that he would be able to get closer to his idol. The idea that he might get to know his idol seemed like a dream about to come true. But Chunji always seemed to interfere. He was always there between them.

 

As much as he loved Chunji, he really did want to be close with CAP too. He'd always seen Chunji as CAP's best friend: popular and cool in his own right, yes, but if CAP was the sun, then Chunji was Mars. Much closer, and very pretty to look at, but not what he needed. The sun was a central part of life on Earth, but Mars?

 

Don't misunderstand him, L. Joe was really happy to be able to say that he was friends with Chunji. The more he learned about him as a person, the more he liked the other boy. But he wanted the chance to get to know CAP that well, too. If he asked the other boy to help him get his driver's licence, then that would provide him with many hours to get to know one another.

 

So, decision made, L. Joe found himself loitering around on the hillside on Tuesday afternoon again. He hadn't dared to get too close, now that he hung around Chunji and his friends more often, knowing that CAP would recognise him if he were to get too close, and that it could lead to a very uncomfortable conversation as a result. But now he had something to ask the older boy, and this was the only place where he knew he'd be able to see CAP by himself.

 

He'd kept both an eye and an ear out, when he'd been hanging around the other guys, and he'd kept watch the last couple of Tuesdays and he hadn't seen Chunji there, and there had been no mention of him attending CAP's practice this week. He was convinced that all he needed to do was wait for CAP's practice to finish, and then he'd have an opportunity to ask him to take him out driving, without anyone else around to hear him.

 

His plan was perfect.

 

He checked his phone, eyeing the time impatiently, he felt jittery and nervous, but there was only 5 minutes left of practice, and then he'd finally get the chance to ask, to speak to his idol in private. As nervous as he felt about what he was about to do, he also felt kind of excited. If CAP said yes, they'd get to spend so much more time together, without the other guys around, it'd be the perfect time t—

 

“Hey, L. Joe! What're you doing here?” an all too familiar voice asked, making L. Joe jump in fright. He hung his head in resignation and flustered disappointment. “Hey Chunji.” he answered back, hoping that he didn't sound as deflated and nervous as he really felt: his nerves doubling when he realised that this meant that Chunji had caught him once again, staring at CAP.

 

Chunji must think he's really weird. He just knew Chunji wasn't so obtuse as to have missed the significance of catching one guy stare at another one so secretively like this, even if he knew he really didn't have any romantic or ual interest in Chunji's best friend.

 

Chunji knelt down beside him. “You didn't say anything about coming by this afternoon.” L. Joe commented, evasively, hoping that Chunji wouldn't expect him to answer his question: he was embarrassed enough as it was.

 

“Neither did you.” Chunji pointed out knowingly. He might've expected teasing from the other boy to follow thereafter, but Chunji didn't appear overly interested in him or why he was there. “He told me he was going out drinking with some friends tonight, so he didn't bring his car. But that means that he needs me to be his driver. I'm taking him home so he can shower and change before he goes out.” Chunji informed the other boy.

 

“Now, why are you here L. Joe? What did you want with CAP?” he questioned again, not letting L. Joe wriggle out of his question as easily as he used to. Clearly Chunji wasn't as absent-minded as he let other people think he was: he never forgot about the questions people refused to answer. He probably should have suspected something when he realised how many things Chunji managed to keep track of in the course of a normal day. He must've been superhuman.

 

“Well, I know you've said that he has a licence and all, so I was planning on seeing if I could get him to help me get mine. I need to get my hours up, but I don't have anyone who can take me out.” L. Joe explained. Chunji waved excitedly, “I'll take you! I have a licence too! I can do it!” Chunji agreed exuberantly.

 

“Oh that's really nice of you, but I mean I know you have a lot to do already...” he stated evasively, eyes flicking over to CAP who was still running around the field with his team-mates. “Nonsense. I always find time for my friends when they need my help.” Chunji rebutted.

 

“I was planning on asking CAP about it, anyw—” L. Joe began, but Chunji waved off his words. “Trust me on this, L. Joe. Never hop in a car with CAP unless you're driving. If you're a passenger in his car, he will get you killed. Very unsafe.” Chunji countered.

 

“I'm sure he's not that ba—” L. Joe began, trying to defend his idol's driving skills, but Chunji would not budge on the matter. “Trust me on this, he's awful. He's always getting fines and speeding tickets. He's even already had his licence suspended! You don't want to pick up any of his bad habits, right before your driving test. I'm a good driver, and it's no problem. I'll take care of everything.” Chunji assured him.

 

L. Joe could see there was no way he was going to be able to make Chunji budge on this matter, and so he resigned himself to it. To his chagrin, another possibility for friendship between him and his idol had been lost, because Chunji got in between them.

 

“Trust me on this, L. Joe you won't regret it. That CAP is such a bad influence. But I'll look after you!” Chunji exclaimed, delighted. All L. Joe could do was nod in return.

 

He did think Chunji was a good driver, and if Chunji said that CAP was a bad influence, he couldn't just disregard his words, as much as his idolisation of CAP may make him want to.