Suspect

DRIFTING
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I smiled watching Chaera brushing her new dog's hair. She looks so cute but she is in love with that dog. I bought it for her last week for her 6th birthday present. She had been crying and begging me to buy her a pet for over 3 months and when that day she saw her present, she almost look like an old lady having heart attack. I love her so much, she is so precious to me.

 

It's Sunday morning. I have opened the window to let the light came through the blinds and lightened our morning.

 

"Mom, can I give Doggy my cookie?" Chaera asked with her innocent accent. I nodded and leaned my head on my pillow. I'm now leaning on the carpeted floor, watching her like this already made me glad even though she has woken me up with her whines about the barking hungry Doggy.

 

She grabbed her cookie from the dining table and then went back sit down on the floor, feeding Doggy, the ridiculous name she gave to him. I said no it wasn't a good name but she insisted and so… that's his name now.

 

"Do you wanna have cookie too?" She offered me. I chuckled and shook my head quickly, "No, Chaera we can't eat what we've given to animal. It's gross. You can't eat that, okay!?" I pointed at the cookie that Doggy has just took a bite. She nodded obediently and then busy feeding the dog again.

 

I saw a pair of feet walking toward us. I hardly looked up and saw her standing tall above me, putting her hands on her hips, dressing up neatly. "What are you two doing? Oh, Chaerin, you can't let her do that…"

 

There she whines again. Sandara took Chaera's hand and sat her down on the chair beside the dining table. I lazily got up and sat beside her, leaning my head on the table because I'm way too sleepy this morning and I'm exhausted after a week full of work. I glanced at Sandara who is heating the food in the microwave.

 

"Why are you dressing like that?" I asked.

 

"What do you think? Of course I'm going out." She said, without even looking at me.

 

I straightened my body and glanced at my innocent Chaera who is starring at Doggy, giggling at him.

 

"What? Going out? I thought you said Sunday is family day. It's our day." I said.

 

She didn't answer me.

 

Sandara took out a bowl of porridge from the microwave and put it on the table in front of Chaera. But then her face created that little frown when Chaera starts feeding Doggy with cookie again, with her bare little hand. Sandara sighed and took away the cookie, "Chaera yah, how many times should I tell you not to feed him like that? It's dirty and there are a lot of bacteria…" Then she stares at me.

 

"Chaerin, how many times I tell you not to let her do that."

 

Yeah now she scolds me for letting my daughter having fun. "But pretty mom, he is hungry." Chaera said sadly.

 

Pretty mom. Yeah, that's what Chaera called Sandara to get out of confusion because you know, both of us are, 'mom'. She maybe is not confused now but later on I'm sure she will start asking question about why both her parents are women.

 

It's not impossible at all, I mean, when the first time both of us took her to the kindergarden, the other parents are starring at us wondering what our relation and we can't lie, so we told them truth, we're married so what's the point of lying anyway.

 

I really do hope Chaera is not intimidated by her teachers or friends at school just because she has two moms.

 

Back to Sandara who is already making me mad in this morning. "Where are you going?" I'm back to that topic. Just because she didn't answer my question it doesn't mean I have forgotten it. This is not right. We have our rule. We don't go out on Sunday. Sunday is family day, she herself made that up. Why is she breaking her own rule that has been set up for us for years.

 

"I'm going out… with friends. Why are you asking so many questions? I never ask you where you are going so will you just please do the same?" She said, again, without looking at me and now busy feeding Chaera who has no idea what her parents are talking about right now.

 

I clutched my hair and starred at the empty spot on the table. "I don't want you to go." I said finally.

 

She stopped feeding Chaera and put down the bowl on the table, then she stares at me, "I need to go, this is important. I'm going with a business partner. I can't get away from it."

 

I looked into her eyes, she is serious but she doesn't seem like telling the truth for me. I know she has been keeping something from me. I never bothered to ask but it doesn't mean that I don't care at all. We might be busy with our own works lately but we're still married, I'm her partner of life. I need to know whats going on with her life.

 

"It's ridiculous. I never heard of meeting business partner on Sunday. Don't lie to me."

 

She slammed the table, startling Chaera who is now showing that confused and -about to cry- face. Even Doggy barked once, I guess he was also startled. So did I.

 

I can't believe she did that. What's gotten into her actually? I barely know her lately. She acts seriously like .

 

"I'm not… lying to you." She almost yelled and seems incredibly mad. Why should she mad? I was just telling her what I'm thinking. I thought it is the best thing to do to keep our relationship. We should tell the truth.

 

"So tell me where the hell you are really going." I said with exhausted voice.

 

She sighed, "I'm telling you I'm going out to meet a business partner. You know what, it's getting really tiring talking to you." She said and then stood up, leaving the table, leaving the house, leaving us.

 

I walked toward the window, watching her taking out her car out of garage and just drove away. I sighed and closed the blinds. Then I turned around, looking at our daughter, leaving her breakfast on the table and now back playing with her pet on the floor.

 

Today is Sunday, I'm supposed to spend time with my wife and daughter and our pet, my family. But Sandara has left. And I don't know whats happening to her. In fact, I don't know what's going on with us. Our relationship. Our love. Us. Whats happening to us?

 

I squatted right next to Chaera and caressed her temple, "Chaera yah, do you wanna play games?" I asked gently.

 

She shook her head and looked at me, "Mom, is pretty mom angry at me?" She asked innocently.

 

I held her head and leaned her on my chest, caressing her tiny back, "No. She is not angry at you. She is angry at me."

 

"Why is she an

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter