Chapter 4

Professional Opinion

Chapter 4

 


 

“OPPA!”


Psy-oppa covered his ears and gave me a quick glare before putting his sunglasses back on his face.  He drank his large cup of coffee and began stretching for his dance practice.


“Seriously, _______-ah, stop torturing me.  You know I am hung-over, so please do me a favor and just keep the yelling to a minimum,” Psy-oppa said begging me to stop.  I giggled and crossed my arms over my chest.

“That’s what happens when you drink over your limit,” I stated.  “I bet your wife was mad having to come pick you up in the middle of the night, right?”


He dropped his head shamefully and nodded dramatically.  I let out an obnoxious laugh and he let out a painful groan in response.  I love torturing people with hangovers. 


“Okay, everyone lets start practice!”  The head dance instructor clapped his hands and Psy-oppa covered his ears and started rolling around on the ground in pain.  I slapped my thighs and laughed at him in such a painful state.  He was going to enjoy dance practice today.


After leaving the dance studio I headed towards the employee lounge to relax.  I had a staff meeting in an hour in the conference room regarding Psy’s upcoming trip to one of the local universities.  After finding a comfortable spot on the couch, I put on my noise canceling headphones and began working on a design that my boss sent me a couple days ago.  Within, what it felt like minutes, I felt a small tap on my shoulder.  I yanked off my headphones and turned around to meet someone with dark sunglasses and a hat on.  I squinted my eyes trying to recognize the person, but was failing to do so.


“Jiyong.”


I let out a laugh and turned my back towards him.  I put one side of my headphones on and started working again.  “How’s your headache?”

Jiyong let out a chuckle and sat on the seat to the side of me.  He crossed his legs and threw his head back on the chairs back.  “It’s killing me.”


I laughed.  “I figured.  You were pretty drunk last night.”

“Nice head phones by the way,” he said softly.  I looked at him and touched my headphones in confusion.  “We’re endorsing that brand.  See, it says on the side.”


I reached up and grabbed the headphones Psy-oppa gave me as a small gift; I then noticed the small Big Bang logo on the side.  Oh, he’s in the same band as Seungri then.  I nodded my head and put them back over one side of my ears.  My fingers began typing away at the design in front of me but I directed my voice towards Jiyong.  “I fed Gaho, he was hungry.”

“I noticed,” Jiyong said apologetically.  He rubbed the back of his neck.  “Sorry, about last night.  I’m—I’m not usually like that.”  He looked embarrassed almost, but his sunglasses were doing a good job in covering his true expressions.  I shrugged my shoulders and went back to typing.

“Its okay, I’m just glad you were safe,” I said to him.


Jiyong leaned forward and intertwined his fingers on his knees.  He started playing around with his multiple rings on his fingers and began biting on his lower lip.  I tilted my head and looked over at him.


“Do you need help with something?”


Jiyong shot his head up and looked at me through his lenses.  He bit on his lip again before he spoke, “I just wanted to apologize.  I don’t really remember what I said to you or if I did anything so I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t out of line with you.  I just—I felt like I did something wrong.”


“You don’t like me.”

“I don’t even know you.”

“Exactly.”


I shook my head from the memory and looked back at Jiyong.


“Nope, you didn’t do anything wrong.  You were fine.  Just a little heavy to carry that’s all,” I retorted.

Jiyong let out a relieved laugh and leaned back in his chair.  “Thank goodness.  Well let me make it up to you.  Makane wont shut up about you and wanted to know if you wanted to eat with me and him, and maybe a couple of our friends tonight?  What do you say?”


My lips met each other and formed into a tight line.  Say no, you have too much work to do.  I looked over at him and he slowly took off his sunglasses.  He rubbed his tired eyes and gave me a sincere grin along with a small eye smile.  Inside, I knew that I didn’t have time to hang out with people that I barely knew, but Mina, Psy-oppa, and my mother’s voice kept ringing in my head.  I bit the inside of my mouth and nodded my head.


“Sure, why not.”


Jiyong smiled and put his sunglasses back on.  “Great!  I can meet you downstairs at the lobby tonight at around 10 PM.  I promise, this time we wont drink,” Jiyong said laughing slightly.  “Or I mean, you can drink and then maybe I can take you home and feed your dog?”

I laughed and looked up at him staring me down through his sunglasses.  I shook my head and rolled my eyes.  “No thanks, I’ll pass.”  I heard a laugh from Jiyong before he said goodbye.  I turned around and watched his slowly drag himself out the doors and into the next room.  I laughed to myself and put my headphones back properly on my ears.  Now, back to work.


 

 


 

“I think he should make a Twitter account.”


The seven heads in the room turned towards me and I shrugged, “Social media is a great quick way to get things out there now days.  He’s already getting tweeted about from celebrities in the States, I feel like we should at least make him an account so he can interact with them and the fans.”


Everyone nodded their heads in unison and began writing down more notes on their tablets.  I leaned back in my chair and noticed I received a text message from someone.


Have you thought about working with me yet?  How’s your promotions with Psy-hyung going? J


I smiled at Jay’s text message and I decided to reply later on tonight when I had time.  The meeting ended shortly after and I noticed we had gone 2 hours over our intended time.


9:56 PM


Oh crap.  I didn’t even realize the time until I looked down at my phone again.  I had to meet Jiyong and Seungri in 4 minutes downstairs.  I looked down at my wardrobe and decided that it was rude to make them wait while I went home and change.  So I guess I am going out in my work clothes.  I quickly ran to the bathroom and looked in the full-length mirror in front of me.  I smoothed out my black dress and adjusted the cobalt blue blazer that draped itself over my shoulders.  At least I am wearing heels.  I thought to myself as I glanced down at my favorite pair of Louboutins.   I glanced down at my phone once more.


10:02 PM


“.”


After sprinting my way across the building, I ended up in the lobby just in time to see Seungri and Jiyong stand up from their seats.  I bowed to them and noticed the four other guys behind them.  I smoothed out my dress and suddenly felt completely out of place with all these men.  My heels clicked on the ground as I walked towards the group of guys.


“Sorry, for making you wait.  My meeting ran a little longer than expected,” I said to the group softly.

Seungri ran up to me and again, graced my shoulder with his arm.  “You’re so cute ______-ah when you’re flustered!  Its okay, we weren’t waiting long.  Lets head in company van and we’ll take you to our favorite barbeque place.”


“Ah, Seungri-ah, you’re so rude.  You didn’t even introduce us,” one man said smiling behind Teddy.

Seungri slid his arm off me and motioned towards the two new men.  “_______-ah this is Kush-hyung and Seunghyun-hyung.  Kush is a producer with Teddy and Seunghyun is also in Big Bang along with Jiyong and I,” Seungri said proudly.

I nodded my head and offered the two men a small smile, “Nice to meet you both.”  I clutched onto my purse and prayed that this night would get less awkward.  Seungri again threw his arms over my shoulder and I heard someone behind us laugh at the gesture.

“Lets go everyone!” Seungri shouted as we made our back out the back entrance of the lobby.


 


 

The table erupted in laughter as I smacked Seungri hand away from my face again.  He kept saying all night how I had perfect skin and with a bottle of soju in him, he kept trying to touch my face all night.


“Seungri, I swear all your fans are going to hate me when they notice their bias lost his fingers,” I warned him again as he tried to snake his hands around my shoulder.

Seunghyun let out a hearty laugh, “You’re funny.  I like you.”


Seungri gasped, “Hyung, you’re too blunt.  Stop it.  And besides I am ______-ah’s favorite anyway.”


I rolled my eyes and flipped over the meat that was cooking on the burner in front of us.  I insisted on cooking the meat because Seungri said he was constantly bullied into doing it.  And after I offered he still received multiple smacks on the head for making me do it.


“Thanks for cooking again,” Jiyong said softly.  He ruffled his hair a bit and I placed a couple pieces of meat on his plate.  “Ah, you cook so much better than makane does.”

“Yah!” Seungri shouted.  “I only burn the meat because I hate you all.  I would cook it nicely if you asked me nicely.  But ______-ah in all seriousness, you really do cook well.  Can you cook dinner for me one night, please?”


“Yah!”  The men took turns smacking Seungri on the head and I jerked my head back from the laughter.  They seriously were such little boys.  After his punishment, Seungri pouted and rested his injured head on my shoulder.  Feeling pity for the youngest member, I patted his head and pouted.

“I usually cook for the staff when I have time,” I said while flipping more meat over.  “I can make you all bentos later this week.  But don’t expect too much.”

Kush dropped his chopsticks and looked at me with his mouth wide open.  “Marry me.”

I choked on my water and my reaction caused the entire table to burst out in laughter.  Embarrassed, I wiped the corners of my mouth with my napkin and looked awkwardly at Kush.  “That wasn’t nice.”

Kush laughed and gave me a smile.  “You’re so cute.  I’m just joking with you.  But seriously, you really are my ideal woman.  Pretty face, nice body, talented, successful, and on top of that you can cook!  Do you have an older sister by any chance?”

I looked down at my food and a small blush appeared on my cheeks.  His blunt statement made me feel slightly uncomfortable under the gazes of the other men.  Soju really does bring out the most interesting sides of people.  I heard Jiyong laugh and pat his hyung’s shoulder.  “Hyung, stop making ________, feel uncomfortable.”


I smiled at Jiyong, silently thanking him for saving me from the situation. I returned to flipping the meat for the guys, but suddenly I felt my phone vibrate.  Seungri’s head instantly popped up and grabbed my phone.


“Yah!  What are you doing?”

Seungri tapped a button and brought the phone to his ear, “Yeoboseyo!  This is ________-ah’s phone, who am I speaking to?”


I smacked Seungri in the shoulder and forcefully tried to pry my phone away from his ear.  He’s even more of a trouble maker when he’s drunk, my goodness.  Even Seunghyun was trying to help me get my phone back from the prankster.


“Jay-hyung?  How do you know _______-ah?”  Seungri said into the phone with a confused look on his face.


Of. All. Times. Are you kidding me? 


I quickly grabbed the phone from Seungri and I ended the call.  Seungri gave me a confused look and I glanced up to see everyone else giving me the same look as well.  I sighed and put my phone back into my purse.  They all probably had a million questions for me.


“Jay-hyung?  You mean Jay Park-sshi?  The same one?”  Seunghyun asked me while pointing towards my phone in my bag.

I nodded and began eating my food.  “I met him a few weeks ago and he told me he wanted to work with me on his new album.  He keeps asking me what my decision is but I haven’t answered him yet,” I said as nonchalantly as possible.  Though, inside I was screaming at Seungri for answering the one call Jay would give me.  So. Embarrassing.

“Ah, he’s trying to nab you up to I see?” Kush said nodding his head.  “Well, look how successful Psy-hyung is.  I can see why he’d want to work with you.”


Jiyong nodded his head and turned down to pick at his food.  He bit on his lip and looked down at the phone in his lap.  He typed in a quick text and sent it before anyone else noticed.


“I don’t know if I will work with him yet or not,” I said back.  “I don’t mind staying here longer but I need to get my boss’s approval.”

“Ahh, ________!”  Seungri latched onto my arm and looked up in a puppy dog pout at me.  “You can’t leave Korea yet, we only just started hanging out.  Don’t leave us.”


I laughed and patted his head once more.  The group gave me all a small smile and I nodded my head at them.  I actually felt comfortable with them.


“We’ll see.  If you keep bothering me though I might have to disown you as my oppa,” I said as I turned my attention back towards my food.  Everyone shared a laugh and we continued to eat in peace, before Seungri started singing at the table.


-Did you ask her yet?

Not yet.  I don’t even know how to bring it up.  So awkward.

-Omg.


Jiyong read his new text message from his hyung and let out a small sigh.  As much as he wanted to know why you didn’t think he was ready to debut, he didn’t want you to feel uncomfortable around him.  He knew you were a very professional person inside the work place, but outside, he felt it would be wrong to bring a work-related situation outside of work.  He sighed and looked down at the many rings on his hands.  Jiyong wanted you to feel comfortable around him for you to open up to him.  But every time he spoke to you, he’d get nervous.  Which was very rare.  He’d try to think of things to say to you before he said it, but they never came out as planned.  Your presence intimidated him because he secretly wanted your approval.  Though at the same time he was drawn to you because you very much so reminded him of himself.  You were constantly working, constantly improving so you could achieve perfection.  He bit down on his lower lip and looked at his rings again.


She's so different than Kiko.  Jiyong thought to himself.  He glanced around the table and saw everyone laughing at something you said. You smiled so effortlessly around his friends, but with him you were always distracted or not present.  He was slightly envious of the smiles you gave the others.  Jiyong was determined to figure you out and determined to gain your approval and trust.  Inside, he knew he was getting to know you for the wrong reasons, though at the same time; he was drawn to you for all right reasons.  You intrigued him.


 


 

It was strange being wanted and around, I wasn’t used to it.  I was always fast paced and aggressive in the professional world, that sometimes I didn’t know how to turn it off when I wasn’t working.   


After that night with the boys, they all gathered my phone number.  They constantly texted me to have dinner with them or asked me to just swing by the studio to hang out.  Seungri made it a habit to text me at night before I went to bed.  I smiled at the thought of his sincerity.  The only one who never texted me though was Jiyong.  I usually just talked to him in person when we saw each other in the halls, in the cafeteria, or when I hung out with his other friends.  I felt that he was uncomfortable around me and I couldn’t figure out why.


“You don’t like me.”


That night still replayed in my mind as I tried to figure out what he meant.  If anything it seemed like he was the one that didn’t like me.  I was determined to figure out why he acted the way he did with me.  I even brought it up to Seungri a couple times to see how he responded, though all I got was, “Hyung is just weird like that.  Maybe he likes you.”  I scoffed at that remark because I knew that was far from the real reason.


I wanted to know what he meant that night.

 


 

Frustrated.  That’s what I felt right now.


After getting multiple new projects from my boss back in the States, I had now Psy’s staff coming to me asking my approval for different costumes he’d wear for his live performances.  The cordi-noonas were on vacation for the week and I was left in charge of the approvals and disapprovals of the wardrobe.  I ran a hand through my hair and closed my eyes briefly.  That was until I heard a loud knock on my office door.  A small grunt was made from me and I walked over to open the door.


Perfect timing as usual, Joon.


I sighed as I leaned on the door frame.  “Joon, as much as you like being insulted by me, I am just not in the mood right now.”


Joon frowned and lowered his head.  My tone must have hurt his feelings more than usual because he began kicking imaginary rocks with his shoes.  Joon moved his body back and forth and brought something from behind his back.  My eyes widened as I saw him holding my iPod in his hands.  I must have left in the studio one night without realizing it.  Instantly, I felt guilty.  My hand reached over and I rested it on Joon’s shoulder.  His head perked up and I saw him smiling widely at me.


“Thanks Joon, that was really sweet of you,” I said thankfully.  “Come inside for a bit, I have some extra food I made for the staff.”


Joon raised his eyebrows in surprise and hesitated before stepping in.  I laughed at his reaction and I motioned for him to enter without caution.  He probably wasn’t used to me being nice to him.  Joon took a seat in the leather sofa on the opposite side of the room and I joined him.  We opened the plastic containers together and I insisted that he finish the rest of the meal that the workers didn’t.


“Noona,” Joon said with a mouthful of egg rolls.  “You’re really a great cook.  I had no idea!”

I smiled and pat Joon on the head.  “Thank you Joon.  I was actually having a really bad day but you being here actually cheered me up.”


Joon dropped his egg roll from his mouth and a huge smile appeared on his face.  I laughed at the boy and nudged him with my shoulder.  “Stop giving me that look and finish your food, you child.”


After an hour of me working on different projects, I heard Joon behind me cleaning up the mess he made from the food.  I turned around in my chair and faced him; he was cleaning up everything nicely and putting each container back in its rightful place.  Joon, as much as he annoyed me, was a very sweet boy.  He reminded me of a little brother that just loves you so much that he wants the whole world to know how awesome you are.  It was nice having someone like him around, always trying to make me smile or feel appreciated.


“Thank you Joon, I can clean the rest up,” I said as I walked over to finish the cleaning.  Joon watched my every move and I could tell something was wrong with him.  He wasn’t as cheerful as he usually was and it was bothering me.  “Joon, are you okay?  You seem off.”


Joon nodded his head and responded, “Noona, I felt really bad for telling the trainees that you danced.  I didn’t keep your secret, I’m sorry.”  Joon knelt down on his knees and brought his two fists up in the air.  I rolled my eyes and grabbed his arms and made him sit back down.


“Joon, its fine really,” I said laughing at his dramatic gesture.  “I don’t have time to dance anymore anyway, so it’s okay.”

“No, noona you should dance!”  Joon shouted.  “Don’t do it because I told!”


I laughed.  “Aniyo, its just because I am busy.”

Joon sighed and spoke softly, “I’m sorry I bother you so much noona.  Its just—I really look up to you.  You’re so successful at such a young age and you’re such a good dancer too.  I don’t know, I just think you’re super cool.  Sorry if I am too much sometimes.”


My mouth opened a little bit and I looked at the young boy before me.  I don’t know where his confession was coming from but it made my heart swell up from his kind words.


“Not many people here think I can succeed as an artist, but when I look at you and see what you’ve done for yourself, well,” Joon paused.  “It gives me hope, like I can do it just like you did.”


I kneeled down in front of the boy and I saw his eyes get bigger for a moment.  I placed my hand on his knees and I smiled warmly at him.  “Joon, that was possibly the nicest thing I have ever heard from someone.  Thank you for making me feel so special.”  I leaned over and gave a small peck on his cheek.  His face reddened quickly before he turned his head away from me.  I laughed at his gesture and I stood up to open the door to my office.  Joon stood up and hugged me quickly before I could even respond.  I laughed at him and I gave him one of my business cards.  Joon took it hesitantly and looked down at the digits he so longed for.


“Remember, if you begin to harass me I will change my number and never talk to you again.” I half joked to him.  “Go home, your parents must be worried.”


I watched Joon walk outside with a smile on his face as he held onto the business card tightly.  I heard him bump into one of his hyungs down the hall and I smiled as I heard him tell them about receiving your number.


What a kid.

 


 

4:27 AM


After drinking my second cup of coffee I made my way to the empty dance studio down the hall.  My hands reached for the cold doorknob as I turned the handle to open it.  My heavy steps made echoed noises as I made my way towards the middle of the dance floor.  I sat crossed legged towards the mirrored wall and stared at the reflection in front of me.


Joon looks up to you because you’re successful.  But why don’t I feel happy, shouldn’t I feel happy all the time?


I thought to myself as I let the tight ponytail out from my hair.  I ran a hand through my waves and tried my best to untangle the rest.  I lifted my legs up to greet my tired chin and I wrapped my arms around my legs securely.  I felt content.  I felt relaxed.


“Oh, sorry.  I—I didn’t know anyone was in here.”

I jumped at the sound of the familiar voice.  Jiyong stood awkwardly in the doorway with a duffle bag over his shoulders.  “I was going to practice, but I can use the other dance studio.  I’m—I’m sorry _______-sshi.”


“Wait!”  Jiyong popped his head back in the doorframe and I smiled at his little boy gesture.  I stood up and wiped the dust off my pants.  “You can use it, I was just resting for a while.  I need to get back to work anyway.”

Jiyong shook his head and smiled, “Every time I see you, you’re working hard.”


Not again, I don’t want to hear it from him too.


I closed my eyes and waited for the response that I hear from everyone who says those words to me.  But instead I was greeted with silence.  I looked up at him looking at me instead.


“What?”

“What?”  Jiyong looked confused.  “I just said you are working hard every time I see you.  I respect that determination and professionalism you have.”


My eyebrows knitted together in confusion.  That was a first.             


“Oh, umm, well thank you,” I said shakily.  I rubbed the back of my neck and looked towards him.  “Well, you can use the studio now.  I’m going to head out.”

I walked pass Jiyong and headed towards the spare office I was using.  I heard my name being called out and I turned to see Jiyong still standing by the doorway.  I gave him a confused look and heard him say, “Lets go get something to eat.  I’m starving and I don’t feel like dancing anyway.  Please, keep me company?”  Jiyong attempted to make a pouting face but his efforts earned a small giggle from me.  “Sorry, I cant really make that face as well as Seungri can.”

I offered him a tired smile and nodded my head.  “Sure, why not.”



 

 

A.N.


Hello to all the new subbers and commenters out there!  I think I am going to do a double update tonight so please look forward to it!  I love reading all the wonderful comments you guys leave, so keep them up please :D  I seriously can't get over how perfect GD's new single That XX is.  Ugh, my feels.  I keep replaying it as I write.  Its my inspiration haha.  Have a nice day guys and happy reading!