Opened

The Hard Way

So after that second meeting, it was always Siwon and Kyuhyun, Kyuhyun and Siwon. At the library, at the mall, at the park, at the cinema, at the small cafe not far from Kyuhyun’s school, they had been spending lots of time together. Siwon soon brought Kyuhyun to hang out with his friends because he didn’t want his friends to be left behind now that he had Kyuhyun. And Kyuhyun, being the confident and smart person that he was, didn’t take long to get along very well with Siwon’s friends.

But even after over a month of hanging out together, Siwon still didn’t have any idea about Kyuhyun’s secret life, until one day Kyuhyun handed over a ticket while they ate ice cream. Siwon took it with a confused look on his face.

“You remember that evening when we first met and I was dancing in the rain, which later on you told me I at dancing?” Kyuhyun asked Siwon in between of ice cream. The latter had to laugh at the question.

“Uh-huh. What about it?” Siwon asked back.

“Well, I was working out for this musical. I’m in The Drama Department, and this will be my last play before I graduate.”

“The Three Musketeers?” Siwon looked quite impressed, staring at the neatly printed ticket.

“Yep. I will be playing D’Artagnan.” Kyuhyun said, “I’m wondering if you can come and watch.”

Siwon was still absorbed in staring at the single ticket, his ice cream was completely forgotten.

“So you get to wear those feathered hats and leather pants?” Siwon teased, “I wouldn’t miss it for anything. I’ll definitely be there. I just can’t believe you never told me about this.”

Kyuhyun scoffed.

“After you told me that my dancing , I should at least make sure that I will be representable before can let you see me dance again.”

“I can’t wait to see how much you have improved.” Siwon grinned.

“Oh shut up. Get ready to have your mind blown!” Kyuhyun said smugly.

~*~

The long awaited night finally came. Siwon wanted to go with Kyuhyun to the musical, but the smaller boy told him that he needed to come early for last minute preparations. So there he was, alone in the school he’s never been into, looking lost like a stray puppy.

Thank God the doors to the auditorium were open soon after. After having difficulty finding his seat, he’s finally ready to enjoy the show. Kyuhyun gave him a very nice seat, third row, right across center stage. He chuckled just thinking that Kyuhyun was gonna be up there, doing that weird dance he did in the rain.

A few minutes later the room went dark, signaling that the play would start anytime soon. Kyuhyun didn’t come out on stage until 15 minutes later, but the moment he stepped into the scene, Siwon blushed like teenage girl. Kyuhyun looked so good in classis European outfit, the ruffled shirt did wonders to his slender figure and the leather pants wrapped around his long legs very beautifully. But those weren’t even the highlight of the night.

It was the voice.

When Kyuhyun began to sing, it was as if everything else fades away. Everything was dark, and at the moment he could only see Kyuhyun, hear Kyuhyun, feel Kyuhyun. Each of his senses was focusing on Kyuhyun, closed for anything else. It was Kyuhyun and Kyuhyun alone. Siwon was so amazed he was almost in tears. He had Goosebumps all over his body whenever Kyuhyun reached the high notes, especially when he displayed his perfectly smooth and light falsettos. And the odd thing was, Kyuhyun stared straight into Siwon’s eyes from time to time. And it did nothing but add to the chills that was already there in Siwon’s guts.

How the hell did I not know he could sing like that?! Siwon you stupid moron. It was all Siwon could think about. And then he would be mesmerized, over and over and over again.

But something warm, something weird, came up and grew inside Siwon’s chest. He tried to suppress the feeling, push it aside, and just concentrate on the show, but every time Kyuhyun sang, the feeling would just rise up again. Weird, because it felt warm, but it made him shiver. And it went all through the remainder of the show, even when Kyuhyun did the weird dance which had turned so nice and somewhat y.

By the time the casts were doing a curtain call, Siwon was clapping his hands like a mad man, obviously over-excited to be decent. His eyes never once falter from the boy standing in the middle of the actor line-up. Kyuhyun saw Siwon’s wide smile and he giggled at the sight. Finally he got the attention he was craving for.

Siwon hadn’t even recovered from the euphoria when suddenly he saw people coming down to the stage, bringing bouquets of flowers to be given to the actors. Siwon didn’t have flowers, but his feet betrayed him and went along with the wave of people, approaching the face he knew and loved.

“Hey Kyu...” Siwon said coolly when he reached Kyuhyun, but a second later he went crazy, like, “OH MY GOD YOU WERE AWESOME!!!!” He was practically hysterical as he grabbed Kyuhyun’s shoulder and rocked his body. People were laughing at their cute encounter. Kyuhyun was giggling like a baby as he let himself being held by Siwon in a bear hug.

“I know I am. Look around, apparently people agree with you.” Kyuhyun joked. “I’ll see you after this.” He whispered to Siwon and shooed the tall boy away.

But Siwon stayed. He reached inside his jacket and pulled out a big lollipop.

“I don’t have flowers, but I heard you like sweets.” Siwon pushed the lollipop into Kyuhyun’s hands as he winked and walked away.

The girl casts around Kyuhyun was swooning and sighing and staring at Siwon like he was some delicious snack or something. Kyuhyun was quick to glare at them before the melted on the stage. Silly girls.

~*~

Kyuhyun went looking for Siwon after he’s done changing clothes and removing make-ups and saying goodbye to his fellow production staffs. Siwon was sitting by the bench on the school yard when Kyuhyun called and told him to come inside the auditorium again. Kyuhyun introduced Siwon to some of his friends. There’s a guy named Kibum who seemed very cool and calm, then there’s this guy Changmin who was really a hyper kid, there’s also a girl named Qian who was apparently a transfer student from Hong Kong, and lastly there’s a guy named HyukJae who said he knew Donghae from the dance academy.

Siwon was glad to meet Kyuhyun’s school mates. However, there’s this feeling of dislike whenever he saw them got too close with Kyuhyun. And he was constantly wondering if he and Kyuhyun would ever be that close to touch Kyuhyun like that. But he decided to just ignore the feeling. Then again, Siwon was in their territory.

They were chatting around, and by chatting it actually meant Siwon praising Kyuhyun’s performance and his group of friends would that the amazement would gradually wear off by the time he sees Kyuhyun’s 5th musical, as it did with them. Much to their disbelieve, Siwon only got amazed more by the number of musicals Kyuhyun had done and he regretted not knowing him sooner to see his past performances.

“Oh trust me here, mate.... You’re lucky you just got to know him now. It saves you a great deal of headaches. He’s such a pain in the , you know.” Changmin told Siwon, which got him a smack in the head, but returned it by hugging Kyuhyun from behind and caused Kyuhyun to claim for defeat.

“A cute one at that.” Siwon slipped before he could help it.

Kyuhyun’s friends started to ‘oooohhh...’ and ‘aaaahhhh...’ and they began to tease Siwon mercilessly, all talking at the same time, Siwon couldn’t identify anymore which one of them said what. And Kyuhyun didn’t help at all. He was just standing there, enjoying the view of his old friends bullying a new prey. Thankfully they all stopped and turned immediately when a voice called to Kyuhyun. Siwon was saved, at least for a while.

It was Kyuhyun’s mom. She asked whether Kyuhyun would be going home with her. Kyuhyun introduced her to Siwon and told her that he will be going home with Siwon instead. His friends had started with the ‘aaahhh...’ and ‘eeeehh...’ again, to which Siwon could only giggle like a fool.

After his mom left, Kyuhyun’s friends suddenly started leaving too, saying that they had other things to do, other places to go. And so Siwon and Kyuhyun were left alone.

“You and Changmin seemed really close.” Siwon stated while they walked to the parking lot.

“Uh-huh,” Kyuhyun nodded lightly, “I’ve known him since pre-school, and he’s been clinging to me ever since. It’s annoying, but he’s a nice kid once you got to know him.”

“Oh and thanks again for inviting me here. You were really something up there. The way you sang... Uh! Mind blown!” Siwon had grinned again.

Kyuhyun chuckled.

“See, I told you to get ready to be blown away.”

Siwon raised his hands, defeated.

“You’re voice was really amazing, Kyu. I’d kill to hear you sing like that every night.”

“And the dance?”

“The dance? Well, it’s not weird anymore, generally speaking, I think you have done a good job on that.”

“Ah, that’s relieving. I kept thinking you were gonna laugh at me. It’s good to know.”

Siwon couldn’t help but to stare at the boy next to him in the passenger seat. That feeling came back. He was getting uneasy again. Then he shook his head, trying to shake feeling away. So he concentrated on driving. He needed to think, but he had to do it later, not there on the wheels.

He managed to get Kyuhyun home in one piece, successfully pushing down any disturbing thoughts he had about the boy. But all his defenses came crumbling down at once when Kyuhyun kissed his cheek and ran out of the car, shouting “Good night, Siwon! Drive safe! And thank you for the ride!”

It took the whole 20 minutes to get Siwon ready to drive again. Thoughts were swirling in his head, it was too much for him to handle at that time. He couldn’t think straight. So he parked his car, and sat there in silence, hands and head rested on the steering wheel.

“Why, Kyuhyun....?? WHY!??”

 

=3=