Ibiza, Spain

The Hard Way

 

“Hola Siwon!” a big dark skinned man greeted.

“Hey Pau!” Siwon replied with a smile, “Any good news?”

The big guy shook his head.

“Not yet. Sorry Siwon.” He said with a sad face.

Siwon just smiled in return. He gave the big guy several assuring pats on the shoulder then cocked his head sideways, gesturing that he would be going inside the club. The big guy watched Siwon’s back moving away with concerned eyes.

He was born Paulo Sanchez, but he’s been going by the name Pau ever since his parents died in a car crash, leaving him behind with nothing and no one to hold on to. Pau was sixteen when he decided to make his own living. And being sixteen, there was really not much he could do to earn money. He worked all kinds of jobs for whoever willing to pay for his underage labor. He was offered to work as a messenger for a drug dealer later on, which he took without any consideration whatsoever. He gave up the dirty life when he got busted and thrown in jail.

Pau was basically a good man going in the wrong ways. The time he got in the jail he used to make friends and learn some cooking skills. He succeeded in both. By the time he got out of jail when he was twenty nine, he had known all the inmates and officers and was good friends with them all. But even with a determined personality and a killer cooking skill, it was hard to find a job for an ex-convict in Ibiza. Pau had gone from doors to doors and received nothing but rejection from each one, until he came to Club Eden and met the owner.

Like him, the owner of Eden liked to listen to people’s story. And he happened to appreciate Pau’s background. So he offered Pau a job as a bouncer for the club, and if his work was satisfying, he will be considered for a job in the kitchen. Pau was delighted and excited and went straight to work the next day. He had been working in Eden for six years now, and he got to cook some certain dishes too if anyone ordered for his specialty. But he liked being a bouncer, because a bouncer got to meet people, a cook didn’t. So in six years he had met a lot of people, got to know them, listen to their stories, and he always had a soft spot for people like Siwon, who made a mistake but determined to make it right.

He decided to help Siwon. He wanted Siwon to find back his one true love, and even without Siwon’s request, he had spread the news to everyone he knew in Ibiza, from gangsters to policemen, from waiters to bosses. But it’s been a month, and he had not find Kyuhyun. He began to feel sorry for Siwon, it must have been really tough for him.

 

Siwon walked through the packed dance floor and straight to the bar. He raised his hand and waved to the bartender, who smiled the moment he recognized Siwon’s face. Siwon looked like he’s in such a foul mood, so the bartender decided to make him a special drink.

“Rough day?” the bartender asked as he put a glass of Chupacabra in front of Siwon, best drink for a troubled mind in his opinion.

“Thanks, Xisco.” Siwon said then took a sip of the cocktail and winced from spicy and bitter taste of the liquor, nothing like he ever tasted before, “I’ve been driving all day and still didn’t catch any glimpse of my Kyuhyun. It’s been a month and it’s like he’s never here.”

“But you were sure he would come here.” Xisco argued.

“Yes, and I knew he really came here because my friend hacked into the airline system and Kyuhyun was supposed to land here a month ago and hadn’t gone away again yet.” Siwon huffed.

“Then what happened?”

“That’s the thing, I don’t know.” Siwon pouted and took another sip of the drink in his hand, “I have checked every hotels and motels and inns and basically every lodge in the island and nothing. It’s like he never got out of the airport.”

“So have you checked the airport?” Xisco knew it was stupid but he just had to ask.

Siwon shot him an annoyed look.

“Of course I have. I even made friend with the Information lady and she thought I have a crush on her.” Siwon whined.

Xisco had to laugh at that. It had to be really funny, the look on the Information lady’s face when she found out that Siwon is not interested in her at all because he’s gay.

“Poor lady.” Xisco stated, “But didn’t you say he must come here for a reason. What was his reason?”

Siwon thought for a minute.

“Well, we talked about the beaches, and the night clubs, and the parties, and…”

“And what?”

“! I gotta go! I’ll call you later, bro! Bye!”

~*~

 

“How about Ibiza, Won?”

Siwon looked away from his mystery novel and turned his head to the side, he stared at his beautiful boyfriend snuggling close and drawing circles on his bare-skinned arm.

“You want to spend our holiday on the beach, baby? Party till we drop?” Siwon teased, “Since when did my baby became wild like this, hmm?

Kyuhyun pouted.

“Well, Ibiza had really nice sceneries I heard. The sunsets are beautiful. The weather is perfect, and the nightlife is… umm… Interesting.”

Siwon laughed at Kyuhyun’s answer. He put his book on the nightstand and turned to wrap his arms around Kyuhyun.

“Why are you suddenly interested in Ibiza, Kyu?” Siwon managed to ask in between giggles.

Kyuhyun bit his lips and kept silent for a while. And then he spoke.

“There’s this beautiful church called Santa Eulalia, you said you want to get engaged, let’s get engaged there.

~*~

 

Siwon stood in front of the big white church just half an hour away from the airport. He stood there for a good while, as if bracing himself to man up and see if Kyuhyun was actually there, or at least been there.

The church’s wooden gate was closed. Of course, it was almost midnight. Siwon wondered if he should come back in the morning, but his feet suddenly moved closer to the church entrance, not minding the scolding of his brain.

The door was not locked.

Siwon let himself into the church. The room was dimly lit, but even with minimum illumination, Siwon could easily see the exquisite architecture and beautiful design of the church. In contrast with the cubical style of the exterior, the interior had a lot more curves. But Siwon’s eyes caught something more interesting than the church’s Balearic design.

Sat on one of the pews, three rows away from the pulpit, was a figure whom Siwon would recognize anywhere. He was sitting with his head bent down, fingers were intertwined atop of the back of the bench in front of him.

Kyuhyun.

Siwon took silent steps towards the figure. And when he reached his side, his knees immediately falter. It was the face he missed so much. And he started to cry.

“Siwon?”

Another set of eyes wet with tears.

“Kyu… Baby…”

Two pair of arms reached out to each other.

“Won…”

Two familiar faces stood close across one another.

“My God… Kyu… I miss you so much!!”

Two bodies molded into one.

Two sets of lips curving a smile.

Two halves becoming a whole.

~*~

 

It was nearing 3 a.m., Siwon and Kyuhyun sat side by side on the beach, ignoring the cold wind wiping on their faces, Siwon’s arm on Kyuhyun’s waist, Kyuhyun’s head on Siwon’s shoulder. They had been sitting in silence for hours, enjoying each other’s presence in wordless act, only communicating through soft touches and longing stares.

“Forgive me, Kyu.” Siwon decided to speak, “Forgive me for being so stupid, forgive me for taking you for granted, forgive me for not cherishing you enough, and forgive me for putting you through this.”

Kyuhyun s his arms around Siwon’s neck.

“I never intended to leave you, you know. I was just trying to make you chase me back.” He said shyly.

Siwon kissed Kyuhyun’s temple and caress his cheeks.

“Thank you for not giving up on me, thank you for this journey. If I wasn’t so stupid I could have caught you sooner.”

“If you caught me sooner I wouldn’t have seen these beautiful places.” Kyuhyun argued with a smile.

Siwon laughed, and Kyuhyun soon followed. The sound of Kyuhyun’s laughter made Siwon stop and stared at him adoringly. It’s been a while since Siwon last heard Kyuhyun’s laughter. He almost forgot how lovely it sounded in his ear. And he thanked God for giving him another chance to hear that happy laughter again. He would not screw it again this time.

“Come on, let’s go,” Siwon suddenly stood up and pulled Kyuhyun up with him

“Huh?” Kyuhyun asked as he dusted off the sands from his pants, “Where do we go?”

Siwon grabbed Kyuhyun’s right hand and lead him away from the beach.

“Tomorrow we meet my friends, after that we go home.” Siwon said lightly, “But tonight… Tonight I want you for myself!”

Kyuhyun giggled.

“Ooooh… Rendezvous!” Kyuhyun teased, but secretly he could feel his lower body part twitched from excitement. It’s really been a while…

Siwon stared at Kyuhyun in disbelieve, then he picked Kyuhyun up and carried him to the car like a newlywed couple.

Soon I’m going to take you to meet my parents, Kyu… Help me show them the beautiful love we shared. But tonight… Let us have fun tonight. Because I really miss you so much…’

=23=

 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ah.. The end is nigh!

~*~