Winter Promise

The Hard Way

College life turned out to be a whole lot different from what they had imagined it to be. With all the papers and the projects and the quizzes and the midterm exams coming their way, they practically didn’t have time for anything else. Lucky for Kyuhyun and Siwon, they have each other and also four other good friends for moral, and sometimes physical, supports.

There was one time when the whole gang spent the night helping Siwon finish his project for his Business Innovation class. But most of the time, they would just hung out together to watch football or play video games. Siwon liked having guests in his apartment, and so did Kyuhyun, even though he would never admit it. Kyuhyun would just usually tell his friends to go home to their own dorms because he was tired and he wouldn’t be able to sleep with their thundering laughter waking him up every five seconds. Of course none of them believed it. They would later teased Kyuhyun that he probably wanted them gone because he wanted to do something dirty with Siwon. Changmin even proposed that he stayed and watched one time, which got him shoved outside of the apartment by Kyuhyun and the door being slammed right on his face.

This night was the first Friday night in more than three months that Siwon and Kyuhyun got to spend alone in their apartment. Changmin went on a date with a senior girl from the Dance Department. She asked him out, and out of courtesy, he decided to just go along with it. Minho was on standby to save him from the date, though... Just in case Changmin decided to leave the date early. Qian and Amber went on a girl trip to Jeju Island. And that left Siwon and Kyuhyun alone and undisturbed for the night, or even the whole weekend.

“What do you want to do tonight, Kyu?” Siwon asked.

“Nothing. I just want to sleep.” Kyuhyun shrugged.

“How about we cuddle in the balcony and enjoy the night sky? I’ll make you hot chocolate and sandwiches.” Siwon proposed.

“But it’s cold...” Kyuhyun whined.

“I’ll keep you warm.” Siwon argued.

Kyuhyun finally gave up, and Siwon hurried to the kitchen to make two cups of hot chocolate and a set of club sandwiches. Kyuhyun scooted over and hopped on the kitchen counter to watch Siwon do his work. Siwon would stop in front of Kyuhyun every once in a while and steal a light kiss on his lips, causing Kyuhyun to blush a little and smile.

“Siwon! Look!!” Kyuhyun suddenly exclaimed and pointed to the balcony, “It’s snowing!”

Kyuhyun ran to the balcony and giggled in delight. He loved snow. Once Siwon had done making the snacks, he followed Kyuhyun to the balcony and took out his phone to take pictures and videos of the happily giggling Kyuhyun. He couldn’t help but to chuckle at his precious boyfriend. Siwon sometimes forgot, but at times like this, he saw the fact that his boyfriend was still a sixteen year-old boy and still very much a kid inside.

“Come here, Kyu...” Siwon patted the spot next to him on the bench. Kyuhyun dropped his body and cuddled close to Siwon. Siwon covered both their bodies with the warm blanket he brought from the living room.

Kyuhyun rested his head on Siwon’s shoulder, sipping his hot chocolate quietly. Siwon put his head on top of Kyuhyun’s. They stayed silent like that for a good while. Until Siwon decided to speak up.

“Kyu...” he called.

“Hmmm....??” Kyuhyun responded without changing position.

“I know this is random and it may be too soon, but...” Siwon spoke and paused.

“But what?” Kyuhyun asked.

“I love spending time with you.” Siwon whispered.

“Likewise, Siwon... Except when you are annoying, or noisy, or when you talk too much, or when you wake me up in the morning, and when you make me work out.”Kyuhyun replied.

Siwon laughed.

“You made it sound like you actually hate me more than you love me.”

Kyuhyun shrugged.

“I haven’t decided.” He said lightly.

Siwon laughed again. He hugged his boy tighter.

“Kyu...” He called again. This time Kyuhyun lifted up his head and looked into his eyes. Siwon reached into his side pocket and pulled out a pair of rings. He slide the smaller one into Kyuhyun’s left ring finger in silence, without uttering a single word. Then he took Kyuhyun’s right hand and put the other ring on it.

Kyuhyun stared at the ring on his finger, to the one in his hand, to Siwon’s face, then back to his finger, and it went on several rounds, until he finally spoke.

“What is this, Won?”

“Those, my baby Kyu... are our promise ring.” Siwon smiled, “Like I said earlier, it’s probably too soon to propose, you are, I mean we are, probably too young to be engaged, but I really want to spend the rest of my life with you. So with that ring, I promise you that I will always be there for you, to cherish and protect you until we fall out of love with each other, or if you return that ring to me.”

Kyuhyun stayed silent, so Siwon continued.

“And if you’ll have me, you can put that one on my finger.” He said as he pointed to the bigger ring on Kyuhyun’s right hand.

It felt like forever for Siwon. Waiting for Kyuhyun to say something, his stomach started to flip. Maybe he was moving too fast. Maybe he was rushing things. Maybe Kyuhyun wasn’t ready. Maybe he should have waited. He was cursing himself mentally, wishing he had made a better decision. But then Kyuhyun finally smiled.

Siwon could swear that it was one of the happiest moments in his life when Kyuhyun slowly slipped the bigger ring into his finger. He took Kyuhyun’s hands in his, and intertwined their fingers together. They might be young, they might have a lot shot ahead, but then and there, they didn’t care about anything else as long as they have each other side by side.

“When did you get these?” Kyuhyun asked as he stared at the matching jewelry on their fingers.

“Last month, when you had late music practice for the centennial.” Siwon answered.

Kyuhyun didn’t know what to say or what to think anymore. All he knew was that he was falling in love all over again with the handsome guy who claimed to be his boyfriend. He smiled widely as he snuggled closer to Siwon.

Siwon kissed Kyuhyun’s temple, then up his crown, then down again to his forehead, then the tip of his nose, before finally nestled on the pair of red lips. The winter breeze made those lips cold and y, and they tasted sweet like frozen cherries. Siwon could never get enough of Kyuhyun’s taste, so he began kissing those lips passionately.

“Siwon... Your pocket is vibrating.” Kyuhyun stated in between heavy kisses.

Siwon chuckled and pulled out his phone from his pocket. It was a text message. He read quickly then typed a reply in a hurry.

“Abeoji wants me home tomorrow,” he told Kyuhyun, “but tonight, I want you, all for myself.”

Kyuhyun bit his lip and moaned when Siwon yanked his T-shirt away and start digging into his collar bone, kissing and and every inch of Kyuhyun’s neck and shoulder hungrily.

“You. Bed. Now.” Kyuhyun moaned. Siwon chuckled as he quickly gathered the boy he loved in his arms and carried him inside to their warm bedroom. They had made love so many times before, but the tingling sensation just never faded. With Kyuhyun, it felt like the first time all over again. They lost their senses in each other’s touch, inhaling the intoxicating fragrance of the other’s body, forever hooked and addicted. If only tomorrow never came...

=12=