A Hitch

The Hard Way

“Hi babe, how about we head back to our apartment tonight?” Siwon spoke to Kyuhyun on the phone as soon as the latter picked up his call.

“What? We’re not gonna spend the night at our parents’?” Kyuhyun asked back, sounding suspicious, “What happened, Siwon?”

Silent.

“Siwon. Is something wrong with your dad?”

Siwon smiled. Kyuhyun knew him well, very well.

“We had an argument. A big one.” Siwon said tiredly, “I, I just don’t want to stay here tonight, I need you.”

Silent.

Finally Kyuhyun sighed.

“Alright.” He said, “Come here. I’ll talk to my parents.”

“Okay, Kyu... I’m going now.” Siwon said and ended the call. He walked out of his room in a hurry and went to find his parents in the living room.

“Eommoni, Abeoji, I’m going back to campus tonight.” He said sternly.

“What?” His mother gasped, “Why so sudden? I thought you were spending the night here. You haven’t been home in a while, Siwon... I still miss you.”

“I’m sorry, Eommoni. Things didn’t go according to plan. I must leave. I’ll see you later, okay?” Siwon answered. He went to kiss his mother’s cheeks then turned to his father.

“Think about what I said, son.” His father said.

Siwon stared at his father for a few seconds, then turned away and head for the front door. He didn’t look back, not even once. He wanted to go away as soon as possible. He needed to clear his mind.

~*~

“Come in.” Kyuhyun said when he opened the door for Siwon.

Siwon followed Kyuhyun inside the familiar home. He quickly bowed when he saw Kyuhyun’s parents.

“It’s already too late to drive.” Kyuhyun’s mom spoke, “Sleep here tonight and go back to campus tomorrow, okay?”

Siwon felt a sudden rush of warmth from the loving tone coming out of her.

“You can sleep in Kyuhyun’s room, but I expect you boys to behave, got it?” Kyuhyun’s dad took turn to speak, but with a playful, almost teasing, tone. Siwon didn’t need a mirror to know that he had gone all red from head to toe.

“Yeah, yeah....” Kyuhyun rolled his eyes, while Siwon could only scratched his head and grinned stupidly, mumbling thank yous on repeat like a broken record.

Both parents chuckled at the sight.

“Alright then, good night kids... Sleep well.” Kyuhyun’s mom said as she slipped into her own room.

“And we really mean it, kids... Sleep.” Kyuhyun’s dad added then followed after his wife into their bedroom, leaving Siwon standing awkwardly like and idiot.

“So... What happened?” Kyuhyun asked as he dragged Siwon into his room.

Siwon sighed.

“Let’s just say, Abeoji thinks it’s time for me to find a suitable girl to pose as the future Mistress Choi.” He said bitterly, trying to make a joke out of the situation.

Kyuhyun, who was standing in front of his wardrobe to look for something Siwon could wear to sleep, froze for a moment.

A girl? A girlfriend? A future wife? What?

But wait, Kyuhyun had always known that something like this would eventually happen. Had he predicted this? Sure. Had he prepared for this? Of course. But still, it shocked him nonetheless.

Kyuhyun shook the thought out of his head. He took a deep breath and turned around to face Siwon.

“Can I apply?” Kyuhyun winked and threw a shirt and a pair of sweatpants to Siwon.

Siwon chuckled. Kyuhyun always knew how to make him felt better. But he also felt guilty. It’s not fair for Kyuhyun to have to keep up with him and the hardships he brings. He took the pair of clothes Kyuhyun threw at him. It smelled like Kyuhyun, and he liked it very much.

“Take it easy, Siwonnie...” Kyuhyun said as he patted Siwon’s cheek lightly, “Give them time. I’m sure things will work out fine between us.”

“But you don’t know my parents.” Siwon argued.

“You’re right, I don’t. And that’s why I’d like to stay positive about them, at least until I do know them as well as you.” Kyuhyun persisted, “Now go change and clean up, I want to cuddle to sleep.”

Kyuhyun pushed Siwon into the bathroom. Siwon stood still for a few seconds, staring at the closed bathroom door. Then he sighed and smiled sadly.

What did I do to deserve you, Kyu? Things are gonna get tough for us, but I promise I will never let anyone touch you, not even my parents. I promise.

=13=