New York, USA

The Hard Way

“KYU!!”

His back was facing Siwon, but he looked very much like Kyuhyun, even from the back. So he ran towards the man and tapped him on the shoulder.

“KYUHYUN...!!!”

“Who?” the other man asked as he turned around.

That’s not Kyuhyun.

“Sorry. I mistook you for somebody else.” Siwon  apologized. He was so disappointed his chest started to hurt.

“It’s okay, dude! Hope you find  whoever it is you’re looking for.” The guy said with a smile. He was probably Korean too, but Siwon didn’t even bther asking because he didn’t have much time for a friendly chitchat.

“Thanks!” Siwon smiled back and excused himself. He  started searching again, but this time, instead of running around like a mad man, he decided to just walk and look around carefully. He turned around and head back to Broadway.

Siwon turned left at McDonald’s and continued his stroll along the crowded street, hoping to find Kyuhyun among those crowds. But no, he had to face another disappointment yet again.

When he reached The Broadway Theatre, Siwon decided that he shoud have asked the people if they had seen Kyuhyun around. So Siwon took out his tablet and approached a security officer in The Broadway Theatre because he thought if Kyuhyun had been there taking pictures, then the security officers might have seen him.

“Excuse me, sir...” he called the guard near the entrance door and showed him a picture of Kyuhyun on the tablet, “I’m looking for this person, have you seen him around?”

The guard, whom Siwon suspected to be just a few years older than he was, took the tablet and smiled.

“Oh yeah yeah... He’s been here. Nice kid. He has a nice voice too. He even sang for us.” The guard said dreamily.

“He sang?!”

“Yea! He was here talking to us when the director came to see the audition, and suddenly the irector just came up to him and asked if he can sing. He said he loves to sing, so  he did. I guess he caught the director’s eyes by his appearance, but when he sang... Man! Eargasm!!”

“What did he sing?” Siwon asked excitedly, he was still so easily proud of Kyuhyun.

“Dream A Little Dream of Me by Louis Armstrong. Hang on, I got the video on my phone.”

Siwon scooted over to the guard’s side to take a look at the screen. On it, stood Kyuhyun on the big Broadway stage, singing and stunning the audience so effortlessly with all his glory. Siwon’s heart ache listening to Kyuhyun’s voice and the lyrics he sang.

“I can’t believe I’m still having chills listening to this.” The guard said again, “Some of the female staff even cried.”

“Really?”

“Uh-huh! The director seemed happy with his performance, he directly offered him a role for the coming musicals. But the kid turned it down. He said he’s not from around here and he’s not staying long. Such a waste of a talent, if you ask my opinion.”

Siwon nodded unconsciously. He knew how Kyuhyun loved performing on stage, and to be offered a chance to actually perform on Broadway must have been a dream coming true, and he would hate it if Kyuhyun turned the offer down because he was running away from him, which remind him of why he went there in the first place, to chase after Kyuhyun.

“So, where did he go from here?” Siwon asked the guard.

“I don’t know, man.” The guard said, “He was here a week ago and I haven’t seen him ever since.”

Siwon’s jaw almost dropped. Was he hearing right?

“Sorry. A week ago?” Siwon asked a little bit confused.

“Yes. He came here last Thursday. And he’s quite a catch here, you know, because of the so called ‘audition’ he was asked to do, so I guess the people here would notice if he came back.”

“Dammit!” Siwon cursed under his breath, “Sorry, but do you happen to know where he went?”

The guard shrugged.

“But wait, one of my friends dropped him off at the bus station that day.” He said then spoke to his walkie-talkie, “Hey Mike, could you come here for a second?”

“Why? Is there a problem?”

“Nah... It’s just that, you remember the Asian kid that the director picked, you drove him to the bus station, right?”

“Uh-huh. What about him?”

“Do you know where he went?”

“Out of town. He mentioned something like... Ah! Ithaca! Yes, he said he’s staying in Ithaca. But why do you ask?”

Ithaca, the name rang a bell in Siwon’s mind. Where had he heard it before? Well, he would have to think about it later because he needed to get going with the chase. So he thanked the guard and headed back to the hotel he was staying at.

Siwon decided to just rent a car and drive to Ithaca. Sure, it would be more convenient to take the bus, but then he would still need a car to drive around and search for Kyuhyun. And instead of looking for a rental car in Ithaca, he figured it would be easier to find one there at Broadway.

He googled for Ithaca while he walked back to his hotel. Cornell University came up on the search result, and it almost got him swearing again.

Of course! Ithaca! Why didn’t it occur to me before?!

Kyuhyun had mentioned about Ithaca, a long time ago. It was on the night of their college graduation. Siwon was hanging out at Kyuhyun’s home, having dinner with the parents. He remembered Kyuhyun’s dad asked him if he wanted to pursue a higher education and he said “sure”. He told them he wanted to study in the USA, one of the Ivy League Universities if possible. Then Kyuhyun blurted out.

“How about Cornell University?”

“Why Cornell?” All three other in the dining table asked Kyuhyun in unison.

“Well, you just said you wanted to go to an Ivy League University, Cornell is one of them. It’s pretty prestigious too, I heard.” Kyuhyun answered and paused for a second befor continuing, “and it’s located in Ithaca.”

The other three frowned.

“It’s in New York,” Kyuhyun said with a shrug, “the state, not the city.”

“So?” Siwon asked again,

“So it’s close to Broadway, and...”

“And...??”

Kyuhyun sighed.

“And they have this nice winery there, I read about it somewhere and I really want to try the award winning American wines. There I said it.” He said with a pout that got the other laughing.

“Why didn’t you just said so from the beginning, kiddo?!” his dad joked while his mom was shaking her head.

“You and your wine obsession. Siwon, make sure you watch over him very carefully in the future or he will be a big fat alcoholic by the time he’s thirty.”

~*~

 

It was already late when Siwon crossed the border to Ithaca. He was tired from the 4,5 hours drive, and he was starving because he didn’t even stop to get some dinner. So he pulled over at a 24-hours-diner that catched his eyes. He ordered a burger,  a fish and fries, plus a glass of soda. It was either because of he was too hungry, or because the food was really top of its class, Siwon ended up ordering another set of sandwiches and and a cup of coffee.

“Been a long drive?” the waiter asked Siwon over the counter, and when Siwon nodded, he continued, “Could I get you anything else?”

Siwon smiled.

“Thank you, but I guess I’m finally full.” He said and laughed.

“I’d be damned if you don’t.” The waiter joked. He looked around and spotted only two other customers in the diner, both of them still enjoying their late dinner peacefully. So he decided to have more chat with the Asian guy with the huge appetite.

“So where are you from?” he asked again.

“I’m from Korea. Just got in this afternoon, and took a good drive here.” Siwon answered, while considering if he should start asking around for Kyuhyun.

“Hey, can I ask you something?” Siwon decided, the waiter shrugged a comfortable ‘sure’, so Siwon continued and showed him a picture of Kyuhyun on his phone, “I’m looking for this person, and he might be here in Ithaca. Do you think you have seen him somewhere?”

“Oh, Kyu! Sure. He hung out here a few times.” The waiter said lightly.

Siwon’s eyes grew wide in shock. He wasn’t really expecting such kind of answer. In fact, he was a little bit more prepared for another disappointment than success.

“You know Kyu?” Siwon asked, still in disbelieve.

“Yea. I like him, he’s nice.” The waiter shrugged.

“Do you know where I can find him?” Siwon asked, this time rather hopefully.

“He stayed at Ridge Estate Guest House, just up the hills, around 20 minutes drive.” The waiter informed Siwon.

Siwon felt his heart kind of soaring at the information. He was grinning like an idiot, thinking he would really meet Kyuhyun again that night. He quickly paid for his dinner, gave the waiter a generous tip, then drove off.

It was almost half past ten when Siwon knocked rang the bell of the Guest House, he felt kind of guilty of having to disturb someone’s bed time, especially when an old man answered the door.

“Hi, I’m sorry for disturbing you at such a late hour.” Siwon apologized first, “My name is Choi Siwon, I’m looking for this person, Kyuhyun, I heard he’s staying here.”

The old man took a closer look at Siwon’s phone. He was a little bit frowning, probably because he wasn’t wearing his glasses so he had to pay extra concentration to see the picture shown on the phone screen clearly. But soon enough, he smiled fondly.

“Ah! Yes... Kyu! Come in, come in!!” He beamed as he stare into the picture and pulled Siwon inside the house, “Your name is Siwon, you said?”

“Yes, sir. I am.” Siwon answered politely.

“Ohohoho.... Wonderful!!” the old man exclaimed rather ecstatically, “Mary!! Come down here quick!! Siwon is here!!”

“Who?!” a voice of a lady rang through the corridor upstairs.

“SIWON!!!” the old man shouted again.

Honestly, Siwon didn’t know what was happening in front of him. What’s with sudden hysteria? And why do these kind people kept repeating his name with a blissful expressions? Did they know him? Had they been expecting him? Siwon kept gazing back and forth from the old man to the old lady, back to the old man, then the old lady.

“For the love of God!!” the old lady suddenly grabbed his shoulders and shook him up and down happily, “Siwon! You’re here!!! You’re really here! And boy you are really handsome.”

“Hehe... Thanks, ma’am.” Siwon scratched the back of his head awkwardly, still not getting the idea of what’s going on in the household.

“Call me Mary, and this is Dean, my husband. We own this place. And I can’t believe I’m finally meeting you!” the old lady exclaimed again.

“Sorry, you must be confused.” The old man giggled, “You are looking for Kyuhyun, right?”

Siwon nodded.

“Do you love him?” The lady, Mary, butted in.

Siwon nodded again and she was shrieking in glee.

“Do you see that, honey? He loves him! He really loves Kyu!!” Mary elbowed her husband cheerfully.

“I can see that alright.” He smiled.

Siwon frowned.

“I’m sorry, is Kyuhyun here?” Siwon just had to ask. He felt rude to be cutting in the elders like that, but he really needed to get to the point.

“Follow me.” Dean said and lead the way upstairs. Siwon followed in silence, occasionally glancing at the elders who still seemed so happy about seeing him, Siwon wondered why. They stopped in front of a door. Dean opened the door for Siwon.

“Kyu stayed here for almost two weeks. It was such a short time, but we grew really fond of him in that short amount of time. He told us a lot about you. And he said you might come looking for him one day, at least he hoped you would. And when you do show up, he wanted us to give you this.” Dean handed Siwon an envelope. Another letter from Kyuhyun. He’s gone again, Siwon figured.

“When did he leave?” Siwon asked weakly, starting to feel that familiar pains in his chest again.

“Last week.” Dean answered.

“Did he tell you where?”

“No, but he said you will figure it out.” Dean squeezed Siwon’s shoulder encouragingly.

Sure, I will. I just hope I won’t be late, again.

“Stay here tonight, it’s getting too late to drive, and we know you’re tired.” Mary took turn to speak, “We’ll see you in the morning.”

Then the elder couple left Siwon, in the room where Kyuhyun had spent. He dragged his tired body to the bed and laid down. Funny, it had been a week, but Siwon could still smell Kyuhyun’s body fragrance spread on the bed and pillow. And it made him miss Kyuhyun even more.

What are you doing, Kyu? Where is this heading?

He opened the envelope Dean gave him. There were only a couple of lines in the letter.

 

Hello Siwonnie. I’m so glad you found me. But if you’re reading this, then it means I’m already in a different city. But I’ll be waiting for you, Siwon. You know where I’m going.

 

Siwon scoffed. How would he know where Kyuhyun was going? He didn’t even give him enough clues. But there was one thing Siwon knew for sure, that he will not stop. He decided to just let it go for today. He needed some sleep, then he would start afresh tomorrow, with new energy, new determination, new plan. But before he let sleep claim his consciousness, he pulled out his phone and wrote a text.

“Hyung, he fooled me. He had left New York last week. I’ll be flying back to Seoul tomorrow.”

~*~

It was almost dawn when another notification came on Siwon’s phone. Kyuhyun updated a post about Ithaca. Siwon snickered at it. But somehow he felt happy to know that he got there before Kyuhyun gave out a clue. So he typed a comment on the blog post.

 

My dear Kyu, you’re late. I already got there and met the wonderful Carters at Ridge Estate. So now what, babe? Come home? Or should I go there and get you? Just, leave me a clue, okay? Be generous with your love ^^

=17=