An Innocent Attraction

The Hard Way

The moment he saw that boy was the moment he learned about interest. Of course he had had a few interests before, like soccer, music, taekwondo, and some other stuff, but he never felt quite like what he felt for the younger and slightly smaller boy.

His name was Choi Siwon. He was the son, and the most prominent heir of Seoul’s high class family. His dad was a business man with a company so huge that approximately 5% of the whole population in Korea was in his payroll. His mom was a Diplomat and a former Miss Korea. He got the good looks from his mom, and the good brain from his dad, and also a fair share of fortune from the both of them.

Choi Siwon lived a perfect life, being the perfect son every parent would brag about, and the perfect student that made the teacher’s job a lot easier. He was popular, but he had a close-knit of friends, some were also rich kids he grew up with, some others are the scholarship students in his exclusive and expensive school, although not as fortunate as he was in terms of wealth, but no less brainy than he was. Everything was perfect, life was easy, until that boy came into his life.

Siwon was driving home in the rain one evening, trying to be as careful as he can be. Then he saw him, a boy, probably one or two years younger than himself, and judging by his uniform, he must have gone to the public school nearby. That boy was walking, no, dancing in the rain. His dance moves were really bad, but there was something about that boy that looked so interesting to Siwon. Siwon didn’t even know what’s going on, the moment he realized, he was already pulling his car over and park it safely on the side of the road, a few meters away from the dancing boy.

“Hey... Do you need a lift?” That line came out of nowhere. He was already out of his car, standing under an umbrella, in front of the boy that caught his attention with no intention.

The boy stopped a few steps in front of Siwon.

“I’m fine, thanks for the offer.” He said.

“But you’re soaking wet, and it looks like the rain will not stop anytime soon.” Siwon argued. Honestly, he was also wondering why he sounded a little too pushy about this boy.

“Exactly.” He said and smiled, “I wouldn’t want to ruin your expensive limited edition car with my wet clothes.”

“Ah, don’t worry about that,” Siwon said shyly, “it’s easy to clean. Look, I really don’t have bad intentions, I just wanna to drive you home because it’s raining.”

The boy tilted his head to the side, as if assessing Siwon with deep contemplation. Siwon felt a little bit unease. All his life, he could swear he never felt so nervous before. But then the boy shrugged.

“Okay, I live in Sinsa-dong. Would it trouble you?” the boy asked.

“Nope, I live in Apgujeong. Come on then.” Siwon led the boy into his car. Then he brought a duffel bag out from his trunk. It was his gym bag, there’s always a set of clean towel and clothes inside the bag. He thought that the boy would need to change into something dry.

When Siwon got into the driver’s seat, the boy next to him had started shaking from cold. Siwon quickly put the fresh towel around the boy’s head and dry his brown hair.

“See, I know you were having fun dancing in the rain, but you’re gonna catch a cold if you keep doing it.” Siwon said caringly.

The boy stared at his face, and finally smiled.

“Thanks.” He said in almost a whisper.

“So, where in Sinsa-dong?” Siwon asked as he started his car.

“Caroline Town.” The boy answered.

“Okay.”

Then off they went.

They drove in silent for a few minutes, one was busy driving and he had his eyes on the road, while the other was busy drying his drenched body. Five minutes later the boy suddenly spoke.

“Kyuhyun.” He said.

Siwon immediately looked to his side and found the boy staring at him.

“What?” He asked, not sure of what the boy had said.

“My name is Kyuhyun. Well, because you never asked, I guess I’ll just introduce myself. Hi. I’m Kyuhyun, I’m a senior at Yeongdam High school. How about you?”

“You’re a senior?” Siwon asked rather surprised.

“Yep.” The Kyuhyun boy answered lightly.

“You don’t look like a senior. I thought you’re a sophomore, junior at most.” Siwon said, still stealing glances at the boy every once in a while, “how old are you again?”

“16.”

“Ah... Figured.”

“So, I don’t get to know your name?” the boy asked.

Siwon face palmed himself mentally.

“Right. I forgot.” He said, “Ummm... I’m Siwon, I’m 18, also a senior at KyungGi High School.”

Then after the awkward introduction, they fell silent again. They kept glancing at each other over and over again, but none of them spoke, until they reached Kyuhyun’s apartment building.

“Well, I’m here. Thanks’ for the ride, Siwon-ssi. Drive safe.” Kyuhyun flashed a smile and was almost out of the car, but Siwon suddenly grabbed his wrist.

“Erm... Kyuhyun, can I... have your number?” Siwon hesitated, “I mean I’d like to keep in touch, we can be friends.”

Kyuhyun almost chuckled at the view. But he remembered something and he sighed.

“I’m gay.” He said weakly.

“..... What?!?....” Siwon choked.

“I said I’m gay. I... like boys.”

“.............”

“People of your status usually come with a set of rules and ethics, and my situation, might not be very well accepted among your circle. It’s a kind of sensitive, complicated, and rather delicate matter, Siwon-ssi.” Kyuhyun explained.

Siwon tried to process Kyuhyun’s words one by one. Frowns were forming on his face, causing soft wrinkles to show up here and there.

What did this kid say? He’s gay? But he’s so beautiful. Wait, what am I thinking? His eyes are so intoxicating. What is happening to me? Why is he so mesmerizing? Am I.... Like him too?

With all the things going on in Siwon’s head, in the end he could only came up with one thing. Two simple sentences, but it changed his life forever.

’”I don’t care. I like you!”

=1=