Twenty-eighth Click

「Untitled」
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

November 27 – the birthday of someone very special to me. I couldn’t stop myself from smiling and it was becoming clear to me that it didn’t go unnoticed by other people. I was seated at the back of my review class, tapping my pen lightly on my notebook as I excitedly waited for this day to finish. Chanyeol was going to have a pretty memorable birthday present – and I hope he’ll like it.

“All right, that part will be included in your finals so remember it.” I vaguely heard my professor say as he dismissed the class. I lazily stuffed my books in my bag and left – lips quickly curling up into a smile as the day continued.

After dropping my things off in my room, I headed for the photography studio in the school building.

“Oh, Kris.” The student in the same year level as me blinked in surprise. As much as I love photography, I didn’t join the school’s photography club. I didn’t want to be held back with an organization’s rules. I wanted my passion to be freestyle. Obviously, my visit came as surprise to the student who also happened to be the president of the club.

“Hey,” I greeted, looking around. “What time do you close?”

“Close..?” The student raised an eyebrow, putting down the camera in his hand. “Well… usually we close at around 7 in the evening, just before dinner. But since it’s the finals, we lock out earlier – around 6 maybe?”

I smiled and earned another confused look. “Great. Do you mind if I borrow the room for a bit?”

“What for?” He asked, narrowing his eyes suspiciously at me.

“I just need to use the darkroom.” I said. Obviously that was a lie.

“…” He looked like he wasn’t buying it. I wouldn’t blame him. It’s not like I ever came over to this room just to use the darkroom before – besides, my camera was digital, so he didn’t see the need for me to use a darkroom with a digital camera.

I sighed. “It’s something personal.”

“Well…” He scratched the back of his head. “This is just for today, right?”

“Just for today.”

“All right.” He stood up. “Come back later and I’ll give you the keys. Just… don’t make a mess out of things all right? Put everything back in place if you ever use them.”

Make a mess… huh. I smiled. “I got it.”

 

By the time I returned to the dorms, Chanyeol was already in his room, playing around with his gerbils. I entered his room without bothering to knock – not my fault since the guy still forgets to lock his door from time to time.

“Ack!” He gasped the moment his door opened and I entered. “H-Hyung!”

“Hey,”

“At least knock or something!”

“You forgot to lock your door again.” I creased my forehead. “Chanyeol, if someone tries to harass you like this…”

He looked at me like I had lost my marbles. He gave a laugh, “No one’s going to harass me, hyung.”

Obviously, he has no idea how physically appealing he is to other people – be it man or woman. The psychotic senior was a good example. I sighed, frowning and shaking my head before proceeding to sit beside him on the bed.

“Well, what brings you here?” He asked, a tinge of a blush on his face. “It’s my birthday, you know?”

“I know.” I said, eyes looking down to see Butter fully healed and now rolling along with Peanut on Chanyeol’s bed. I chuckled at their friendly game.

Chanyeol blinked. “Well, are we going to go out or something? My classes are done for the day.”

“Nah,” I leaned back on his bed, my back resting on his wall as I relaxed into my comfortable position. “Let’s just relax for today.”

Chanyeol pouted at my lack of excitement for his birthday. He looked down at his gerbils before looking back at me. “There’s no cake at least?”

“Any more sweet things and you’ll get cavities.” I said, poking my finger on Peanut’s fat belly.

Chanyeol frowned, mildly glaring at me as it looked like I was more interested on his pets than at him. I internally laughed. He was getting jealous over gerbils?

“Hyung…”

“Hm?” I said, smiling. “Look at these two – they’re still fat even if you don’t feed them like you used to.”

“Hmph!” Chanyeol huffed, taking Peanut and Butter away from me. The two pets squealed and thrashed in their master’s hands as he stuffed them back in their cage. Chanyeol then turned to look accusingly at me. “Hyung…!”

“Yes, Chanyeol?”

“Today is my birthday!”

“Happy Birthday, Chanyeol.” I said, smiling and tilting my head to one side.

His frown worsened and he crossed his arms with a pout. “… You’re too late!”

“No, I’m not. It’s still November 27.” I chuckled, sitting up straight. He stood still on his place, not bothering to look at me. “Chanyeol, why are you sulking? You said it yourself that you only wanted me on your birthday.”

He blushed at the memory of his own words. He opened and closed his mouth several times before his eyes mechanically turned to look at me. “W-Well… that’s true… but…. still….”

“Then, there’s nothing to sulk about. Look, I’m right here.” I said, extending my hand out to him. His eyes softened at my action. “Come here, giraffe.”

“…” He pursed his lips, his cheeks turning red quickly. He reached out a shaky hand and held my own before sitting down on his bed beside me. “I was still hoping for some kind of surprise.”

I only smiled at him, kissing him lightly on his cheek. He flinched, eyes shooting up to gawk at me.

“There. You were surprised, right?”

He blushed again and he couldn’t stop a smile. “Yeah.”

“See?” I pulled him closer. “You’re smiling.”

“Mm…” He leaned into me and chuckled. “I guess I am.”

“I like you better when you smile.”

“Really…” He mumbled, arms wrapping themselves around my waist. “Well I like you better when you’re like this.”

“…” I pulled back to look at his face. “What’s that supposed to mean? Aren’t I always like this?”

“Are you sure?” He tilted his head and laughed. “You must be dreaming, hyung.”

“Hey…” I raised an eyebrow but I forgave him for now. After all, it’s his birthday.

When it was starting to look like he was satisfied with this, he pulled back and glanced to the side. I blinked in surprise as he looked at the floor – eyes looking worried.

“What is it, Chanyeol?”

“…” He pursed his lips. “Maybe… I was just expecting too much.”

“Huh?”

“Yeah.” He sighed. “I’m pretty spoiled, huh?”

“What are you talking about?”

“Knowing you, hyung… I thought you were preparing something big for me today… but then, you have your finals coming and your review classes everyday. I guess I was being a spoiled brat, expecting you to do something big for me.” He frowned before shaking his head and turning his attention back to me. “I’m sorry, hyung. I shouldn’t have acted like a brat earlier. I mean, I knew you were busy and stuff and I was pouting because you didn’t even feel like going out to buy cake or something. I guess you must be tired and I didn’t even stop to consider that…”

“Chanyeol…”

He smiled. “You’re right. I’ll be fine with just having you beside me.” He blushed before softly adding, “But if you feel tired or something… you can go back to your room and rest. I’m already happy being… uh… um…”

I leaned closer to hear him, a smile forming on my lips. “Being what, Chanyeol?”

“…. B-Being…” He blushed. “H-Hyung’s….”

Oh! This giraffe and his adorable little…! I chuckled, kissing him lightly on his lips. “You’re right. You’re mine.”

“…” He nodded his head in a daze.

“And I’m yours.” I rubbed my nose against his and kissed him again. “So you don’t have to feel bad about it Chanyeol. I came here as your birthday present after all.”

“Birthday present…”

“And besides, I’m not that tired.” I smirked. “It’s me we’re talking about here. I don’t feel tired that easily.”

“Right…” He nodded, smiling.

“For a moment, I thought you had a really big problem in your head.” I sighed in relief as I gave him room to breathe. “The face you made had me going. Don’t make that kind of face, Chanyeol. Remember what I said? I like you better when you’re smiling.”

“I know, I know.” He smiled. “Then like me lots, hyung~”

“Don’t say that…” I smiled, slightly blushing as he continued his signature and natural smile. Ah, it makes me weak just looking at it. “If you keep saying things like that, I wouldn’t know how long I can hold myself back.”

Chanyeol smiled wider, though his cheeks were turning red like he was running a fever. “You sure like to tease, hyung.”

I smiled and watched him stand up, suddenly taking my hand in his. “Chanyeol?”

“Since it’s my birthday and you’re my birthday present, I want to go out today.” He hummed. “As a birthday present, I have to take you with me after all.”

I sighed, shaking my head. “Maybe that’ll wait till next year, Chanyeol.”

“What?” He pouted but before he could continue complaining, I held up a hand, stopping him.

“Though,” I said. “If you’re so determined to go out today, then meet me in the photography club’s studio after dinner. You know where that room is right?”

He blinked. “Wh-Why there…?”

“I’ll be there.” I said. “I have something I have to do there so we’ll meet there and then we can go out to wherever you want.”

He looked like he was slightly confused but he shrugged it off quickly. He smiled, nodding his head.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter