Is Goodbye This Near?

The Case Of The Weird School

The students studied hard, and Shin Hye felt some relief. Jung Shin and Nana stayed at the library during lunch break to study. Min Hyuk skipped going over to Yeon Seo's dorm for some hot nights just to burn the midnight oil. Jong Hyun kept his phone shut because Victoria had been bothering him after G.na and Geun Suk's wedding. And Yong Hwa did not even bother to pester Shin Hye during the night.

It was some relief because Yong Hwa was studying hard for the CSAT, but it also cut Shin Hye's heart to pieces. Eversince Yong Hwa told her to look at him when his face is bright, he never even talked to her. Was he trying to pull away? Was it his way of putting up a strong front and burying the hurt? As a teacher, she was glad that he studied well, but as a girlfriend, she was hurting. Between the two, what Yong Hwa needed now was a teacher, not a girlfriend. And Shin Hye was doing her best to be understanding and unselfish.

The day before the CSAT, as her class had gathered in the room, Shin Hye looked at each one of them proudly. Though they started off badly, her students were able to reach this far, and all of their grades have greatly improved. Her teacher heart was swelling with love for each one of them, that she promised to reach the site and cheer for them.

The day of the CSAT finally came, and all the Korean students hurried to the site in order to not be late. Jom Bi prepared the car of the gang in order to provide service to the four students. And last night, the gang, along with Shin Hye, had fought some rival gangs who were planning to riddle the streets with some debris so as to make the lives of the middle class and poor students hard. They had heard that the other gang was being paid by some chaebol for their sons and daughters to reach the area on time, and to pass the exams without the rivals from the lower class. This, Shin Hye and her gang will not allow.

As for Shin Hye, she prepared a hearty meal for the five, Nana included. Hitomi joined her because she wanted her Jong Hyun to eat well. Shin Hye wanted Nana to eat well as well, so she tucked a note in Jung Shin's lunch box, telling him to share some with his girlfriend. As for Yong Hwa's lunch, she added a little few extra secret ingredients, along with all the love that she can give him. If he was not willing to talk to her, he could, at least, feel her love with the luscious treats that she was making.

The four were able to reach the venue safely, thanks to Jom Bi the zombie man. Shi Hoo and the rest of the gang, Harabeoji included, cheered for them. The students met with Nana and their classmates, and they entered the venue to take the exam.

"Min Hyuk-ah!" a voice piped up.

The students turned to see Yeon Seo, who was  breathless. Min Hyuk knew that only a few knew her to be his girlfriend, so he approached her discreetly without kissing her in front of everyone. Yeon Seo handed him a lunch box with food that she prepared for them.

"You need it," Yeon Seo said.

"Gomawo, Noona," Min Hyuk said with his eye smile.

Nana saw the event, and also pointed at her bag.

"Jung Shin-oppa, I made some lunch for us too," she said.

"Seonsaengnim also prepared lunch for us, including yours," he said.

"Jinjja?" Nana squealed.

"Look! It's Ssaem!" Jo Kwon squealed.

The students looked up to see Shin Hye beside Shi Hoo, and they cried as their teacher held fisted hands of cheer for them. Finally, the time came for them to get in the main venue for the test.

****

The CSAT lasted the whole day, and tiring as it was, the five of them were able to make it, thanks to the yummy treats that Shin Hye, Hitomi, and Yeon Seo made.

****

After the exam, Jung Shin and Nana went on another Animax convention to unwind, for Alodia was there again to host. Jong Hyun went to an arcade alone, wanting to get away from any traces of Victoria, who seemed to have gone stalkeresque. Min Hyuk went with Yeon Seo to her boarding house to do all the hot things that he had been abstaining while studying.

And only Yong Hwa went home immediately after the exam.

He silently ate dinner with Hitomi, Harabeoji, Jom Bi, and the rest of the henchmen. Shin Hye did not join them because she was late having some tasks at school.

****

Shin Hye came home late and noticed Jong Hyun and Jung Shin coming in.

"Where have you been?" she asked them with concern.

"Resting, of course," Jong Hyun said, deadpan as always.

She smiled lovingly at them and hugged them.

"I am so proud of you two," she told them.

"You should also be proud of the other one who loves you," Jung Shin pointed out.

Shin Hye's smile left her face when he said it.

"He... he suddenly stopped talking to me," she said sadly.

The two Lee guys looked at each other in confusion.

****

Shin Hye was about to get in her room when she noticed someone sitting outside the window by the stairs.

"Yong Hwa?" she called out.

Yong Hwa turned around and gave her a smile. Her heart melted at the sight of his face that tears fell off from her eyes. She crept out and sat next to him.

"Why did you stop talking to me?" she confronted him directly.

"Mianhae, Noona," he whispered. "I... I was thinking this is the best way to bear the pain."

"Are... are you planning to break up with me?" her voice cracked as she asked.

Yong Hwa looked at her oddly, some form of sadness in his eyes.

"Noona, I... I don't want to break up with you. I just don't know how to deal if I will no longer see you everyday."

"You think Jong Hyun and Hitomi do not have the same problem? Do you think Nana and Jung Shin will not face it too? And how about Min Hyuk who does not see his girlfriend often?" she asked. "Do you think they are not having a hard time too?"

"You think this is easy?" he blurted out. "Min Hyuk and Jong Hyun, their yeojachingudeul are college students. But mine...mine is a teacher. Do you think it will be easy for us when you will be busy and I will be busy too?"

Shin Hye, someone, understood what he had felt. Loving someone younger than her was definitely not easy, and on his part, loving someone way older than him was not easy as well. She did not mean to be selfish, and she guessed he was not meaning to be selfish too.

"Let's just compromise," she said to him as she hugged him.

Yong Hwa hugged her back as he kissed her hair.

"I am willing to wait for you, Yong Hwa. No matter how long, I will wait for you," she said. "If you'll be planning to go anywhere, take me with you."

Yong Hwa looked at her as he released his hug.

"If you wait for me, and if you will go with me, does that mean that you will abandon the gang?" he asked.

She nodded.

"To begin with, my heart was never in the gang. Harabeoji let me in so I will know the ways. I am just like Yankumi, and I am not willing to stay here forever as a member. I love to teach, and if I want to go to other schools to teach, I have the freedom to do so."

She held his face and looked at him, her heart hungry for him.

"But please do not push me away anymore. I know next month will be December, and you will be graduating next year... so let's spend time together while we are at it... and please allow me to make use of that time..."

"Mianhae, Noona," he whispered.

He leaned forward to kiss her passionately, devouring her lips like he had never before. Shin Hye closed her eyes and allowed him to lead the kiss, giving her heart out to him.

 

~~~~