The Substitute Teacher

The Case Of The Weird School

The students were rowdy as usual. Suzy was crying in her seat, because Soo Hyun did not even tell her where he was going. Nana and Jung Shin were exchanging whispers of love in their seats. Jong Hyun was eating burger after burger while listening to Min Hyuk sing in a deadpan operatic tune. Jia was comforting Suzy while Min, Fei, CL, and Minzy where practicing some dance.

Yong Hwa, like Suzy, was down, of course. He missed his secret girlfriend, and his heart felt that he would miss her for days.

Then, the door opened, and in galloped a chubby (or stocky) man.

The man had a neatly pomaded hair, and was wearing dark glasses. 

Oppan Gangnam style!

All the students stopped what they were doing. Fei's and CL's eyebrows rose. The tomato hanging from Jong Hyun's mouth dropped onto his uniform, Jung Shin and Nana stopped smooching, and Suzy wiped her eyes to see the odd newcomer. Min Hyuk choked from his operatic singing.

"Annyeong!" the teacher greeted them in banmal. "I will be your substitute teacher for today, Park Jae Sang. But you can call me Psy-seonsaengnim."

Shin Hye was also a Park, he reasoned out, and he did not want to be confused with her.

"Annyeonghaseyo?" the students greeted him like zombies.

"You are all deadpan!" he said. "All stand up!"

The students stood up lazily, like there was a thousand-ton weight suspended from their butts. He pounded perkily on the table and beckoned them to stand up.

"I will make Homeroom and Science fun!" Psy said. "Oppan Gangnam style!"

"What is so Gangnam in Science?" Nana whispered to Jung Shin, who shrugged his shoulders. 

The teacher began to tell his students to push the chairs to the sides, as he will provide a physical exercise for them. The students did as told and stood in the middle of the classroom.

"All right, follow me," Psy said. "Like this."

"Nal ddara haebwayo, ireohke~e," CL sang, which made the class laugh.

"Yes, yes, that is good, Agasshi," Psy said to CL in a compliment.

CL smiled because the new teacher was cool. Everyone else save for Yong Hwa and his cousins thought so. Psy taught them the gallop dance to "Gangnam Style," and the students were enjoying the exercise so much.

Too bad for the vampires, for they were all left feet.

Yong Hwa struggled to gallop, but he ended up stepping on Min Hyuk's foot, who ended up jabbing Jung Shin by the rib, while Jung Shin ended up kicking Jong Hyun, who pushed his cousin back.

"Ya, ya! The four of you!" Psy shouted at the four. "Wa (come)."

 Yong Hwa and his cousins came in front.

"The dance steps were just easy," Psy told them. "Why can you not follow it?"

"We are no dancers," Min Hyuk rationalized.

"Oh, but that is just easy," Psy said. "Watch!"

Psy did it again, but the four were really not dancers. Psy had to give up and let the four of them get back to their places. Nana was so sorry that her namchin was one of those singled out, so she offered to teach them how to dance.

"Gwaenchanha," Jong Hyun said. "No matter how many dance lessons we do, we are really not good at dancing."

And while the rest of the class were enjoying the dance, most especially the ever-flamboyant Jo Kwon, Yong Hwa and his cousins were struggling.

"I hope we will not get poor grades for not being able to learn how to gallop," Jung Shin said.

Yong Hwa bit his lips as he stepped onto Min Hyuk's foot again. If only Shin Hye were here...

****

That afternoon, he grabbed a cup of yogurt and started to walk home with his cousins when they met Psy-seonsaengnim galloping as he crossed the road.

"He is crazy," Jong Hyun said.

"Gaja," Yong Hwa said. "Let us go home and study hard. I won't mind not being able to dance well."

"Na do," his cousins said in unison.

 

~~~~