Ssaem Is Back

The Case Of The Weird School

Shin Hye found her students dancing like they were prancing like horses.

"Oppan Gangnam style!" Jo Kwon, the leader of the cheering squad, shouted.

Shin Hye turned to her imaginary camera and scoffed.

"I know the Gangnam dance, but do they have to do it as an exercise before classes?"

She got back to look at them and saw the four vampires struggling to dance. As usual, the four still did not know how to prance the way Psy did. Shin Hye came in and told the students to stop, but Jo Kwon was adamant more than ever. Soo Hyun sat down silently so that his classmates can notice it. But sadly, no one did, and they continued to dance in front of her.

"Is that what Park-seonsaengnim is teaching you while I was away?" Shin Hye asked herself.

"Anja!" Soo Hyun roared from the back.

The whole class stopped dancing and scampered to their seats. Shin Hye heaved a sigh and reprimanded them.

"I thought you would be respectful enough to sit down when the teacher comes," Shin Hye said to them. "Your disrespect for rules will not make you stay in a job for long, do you know? Your bosses might be stricter than I am. Aigoooo, and I thought you all had changed after my video.... aigooooooo...."

And she lectured them.

"Does Soo Hyun always have to tell you to sit down? I know he is not your class president, but don't you have sensible minds to follow rules? Does he always have to strain his voice?"

She looked at each one of them, the students feeling ashamed. When she looked at Soo Hyun, he was smirking, as if to say that she indeed cared for him. But she frowned at him as well.

****

Jong Hyun did not join his cousins in the Science study because he was feeling feverish since lunch time, so Hitomi had to attend to him. The other guys were busy answering some multiple questions when Yong Hwa glanced at Shin Hye, who noticed him glancing at her.

He smiled boyishly at her, and took delight of her blushes for him.

Shin Hye's heart was melting at that cute smile. Why does he have to be cute and hot at the same time?

Then, her phone rang.

"Yeoboseyo?" she greeted as she picked up the phone.

"Ssaem? Ssaem, this is...Jin Woon..."

Shin Hye listened carefully because Jin Woon sounded like he was in panic.

"Ssaem, after Suzy's incident, Jia got into trouble too... Jebal dowa juseyo (Please help)..."

"Eodi isseo?" Shin Hye hurriedly stood up, asking for Jin Woon's whereabouts.

The three guys looked at each other, then at their teacher. Shin Hye darted out of the room in a hurry, and she almost collided with Geun Suk, who was prettily walking down the aisle like a ramp model. Shin Hye bowed in apology, still with the phone in her hand.

"Mwoya?" Geun Suk asked in wonder.

He looked at the teacher running away, then at his nephews, who also started running in pursuit of their teacher.

"Wae geurae (What's wrong)?" he asked, talking aloud to himself. "It's as if Park-ssaem is running away from some loan shark..."

****

Jia was in the police precinct with Jin Woon and two other persons who looked like students when Shin Hye and the other guys came. 

"Annyeonghaseyo?" Shin Hye greeted the officer politely. "Park Shin Hye-imnida. I am the Homeroom adviser of Meng Jia..."

"Ah, ye... Geuge... Park-seonsaengnim's student was involved in a riot back at the bookstore," the officer said.

"I did not start it!" Jia shouted defensively, wanting to make her teacher believe it.

"Oh yes, you did!" one of the students, a y girl with brown hair, said.

"Jamshimanyo..." Shin Hye told the students. "Wae geurae?"

"She slapped me!" the brown-haired girl replied.

"She was just defending me!" a chubby girl said about Jia to the brown-haired girl.

"Bullies like you are the worst!" Jia muttered.

"MWO????" the brown haired girl asked as she stood up to punch Jia, but the police restricted her.

Shin Hye fumed. Just then, a rich-looking couple came, and saw their daughter.

"What did you do this time, huh?" the mother asked.

The girl began to cry.

"Do I always have to explain myself? Why can't you just take my side?" the girl asked her parents.

"If you stop crying and explained to us what happened, maybe I will even understand you!" her father said.

"Annyeonghaseyo, Abeonim, Eomeonim?" Shin Hye greeted.

"Are you the teacher of my daughter?"

"Animnida... I am this girl's teacher..." she said, patting Jia's hair.

"Geureomyeon, since there are three students involved in this riot, I will let a witness tell it instead," the police said.

Jin Woon offered to tell the tale because he was also at the bookstore that time. He had been irritated by a shrill voice of a girl, who telling another that the other was a piggy and ugly and should buy her books. He looked up to see the brown haired girl poking at the belly of the other girl and calling her stupid when Jia came and told the skinny girl to back off. Since the girl won't, she tried to push Jia, but Jia slapped her. And trouble brewed inside the shop. Jin Woon did not know what else happened, but police officers came in and arrested the three. After listening to that side of story, the parents were enraged at their own daughter for acting bully.

"We did not teach you that!" the mother cried. "I will disown you if you do it again!"

"Eomma~~~," the girl said before crying.

"You know, bullying in any form is really bad. It is like a tooth cavity that eats up the persona of the person," Shin Hye started calmly.

The students, including Yong Hwa and his cousins, listened.

"Bullies use emotional manipulation to get people to pity them, and act as if they are the victim when they are not. They use their popularity to put down other people, and people cling to them so as not to be targets. But take out those friends, and the bully is alone. If you go on being bully, no one will like you. And do you know that bullies are notorious law breakers in class? If you go on your ways, you may be a wayward citizen, and you will not be able to coordinate with people around you because of your attitude. You have an attitude problem," Shin Hye said.

The mother wanted to protest to the teacher for being blunt and harsh, but she knew Shin Hye was right.

"I am sorry... I have raised my child wrongly..." the mother apologized to Shin Hye.

Shin Hye looked at her sadly.

"That makes me sad too, Eomeonim. Why do we have to apologize when we have done the right things? I know our society is concerned with image and status, and I don't understand why we have to say sorry if we are guiding our kids well..."

"You will not understand it, Seonsaengnim, if you have never been a parent," the mother said sadly too. "But I agree with you. Our society  has been like that. Nevertheless, I will still ask for apology for raising my daughter badly. The outcome of a child depends on his or her mother."

The brown-haired girl stood up in spite and left the station without issuing apology. Shin Hye shook her head because the other was still too stubborn to admit it, and was still proud of her bully status. The parents were so ashamed that they promised to teach their child well, bowed, and left.

"Aigoo, is that what she learned from watching too much 'Mean Girls'?" the police asked in exasperation.

"My daughter loves that movie, but she hated The Plastics," another police said.

Shin Hye bowed to the policemen, who let the girls go. The chubby girl hugged Jia and thanked her for helping her.

"I will always be grateful to you, Jia-ssi," the girl said.

"I am proud to help those who are being bullied," Jia said. "Because I know the feeling of being a target once."

The two girls bowed and left their separate ways. Jin Woon hugged his friend and congratulated her for being fierce.

"Even if you are average in class, I am proud of you, Jia-ya," Shin Hye said to her student. "You know the sense of right and wrong, and you stood proudly for it."

"Ne, Ssaem," Jia said. "I may be a very bad girl sometimes, but when it comes to things like that, I fight for the bullied. I want to take up law and be a personal injury lawyer."

"Jinjja?" Shin Hye asked. "Ohhhh... I am proud of you..."

Yong Hwa and his cousins smiled. This was the kind of teacher who was the dream teacher of every student. And as for him, he was proud of having Shin Hye as his secret girlfriend.

****

"Noona...." Jong Hyun whispered.

"Ne?" Hitomi asked.

"Please turn off the lights, and just turn on my lamp, jebal?" he asked.

Hitomi stood up and did as told before resuming to do tepid sponge bath.

"I am tired of always drinking water..." Jong Hyun said.

"You need it..." Hitomi said.

Despite the dim light, Jong Hyun was still able to see Hitomi's face.

"Noona is so caring," he whispered. "If only you are my girlfriend..."

Hitomi let go of the wet small towel she used to cool him down.

"But...but you are planning to get back with Victoria...geureohji?"

Jong Hyun shook his head.

"Victoria-noona only played with my heart. It was Hitomi-noona who had been keeping it safe and warm," he said. "You were always there for me...for me to cry on your shoulder..."

He grabbed her hand and kissed it, and Hitomi felt herself blushing.

"Jonyon ga suki da... (I like you)," Hitomi revealed.

"I knew it..." he told her. 

"I am sorry for feeling jealous everytime you talk about you and Victoria..." Hitomi said.

"I will no longer be talking about her. I will be talking about you and me..." Jong Hyun said.

Hitomi's heart fluttered when he revealed it.

"Hitomi-neechan ga daisuki da (I love you)," Jong Hyun said to her.

Her tears began to fall when he said that he loved her, and she wrapped her arms around him though he was lying on bed. Jong Hyun tapped her arm and cocked his head to the side to look at her.

He pushed her gently so he could see her face. She was crying for joy, and he looked at her.

"Did...did I just see you smile?" she asked him.

Jong Hyun nodded.

"Love... love made me like this?" Jong Hyun asked. "I never knew how it was to smile before... You changed me."

He cupped her face and slowly brought her closer for their first and sweet, tender kiss.

 

~~~~