The Annual Ritual

The Case Of The Weird School

The four guys walked out of the campus drained after the last day of the exam before the summer vacation. When they walked out the gates, they saw their uncle, leaning comfortably against the side of his bluish gray Porsche.

"Hello, Boys," Geun Suk greeted his nephews.

"Annyeonghaseyo?" they greeted politely yet nonchalantly.

The girls who went out of the campus saw the hot vampire with fierce eyes and slim features. They screamed in delight and spazzed all they want.

"Who is he? He's handsome!"

"I want him!"

"Let's ditch Yong Hwa and go for someone rich!"

Yong Hwa's ears pricked like a cat and looked at the girls bluntly, but they showered him with flying kisses. The uncle cleared his throat as he went to the girls to flirt, and the young vampires waited for their uncle to get back to them. Finally, after some flirtatious moments, Geun Suk got back to his Porsche and let the guys in.

While driving, Geun Suk announced that as tonight will be a new moon, they will be holding their annual vampires' ritual.

"You skipped it last year for the movies, and I am so disappointed," Geun Suk said. "You should attend tonight."

"Ne..."

****

Geun Suk arrived at the house of the gang (and still he had no idea that Shin Hye belonged to the gang). The old man of the house welcomed the rich vampire and invited him for tea.

"Ah, no need, thank you so much," Geun Suk said suavely and politely. "I came to get my nephews because we will be having a family gathering tonight."

"Ah, geurae, geurae!" Harabeoji said amiably, having no idea what the celebration actually was about.

"I will bring them back tomorrow," Geun Suk said.

"Ah, gwaenchanhayo," the old man said. "By the way, if it will be all right with you, since you wanted your nephews to stay with us for summer, will it be all right to bring them to Yeosu?"

Geun Suk flashed a mysterious smile.

"Ah, johayo," he said. "Besides, I want my nephews to feel the scent of fresh clean air by the sea."

"It really is," the old man replied.

The four guys went in their room to get ready for the celebration. By the time they went out of the room, Shin Hye met them by the door. She flashed a silly grin as she looked at the four of them in black t-shirts and black skinny jeans.

"Are you all gonna dance?" she asked with a smile.

"Dance?" Jung Shin asked, confused.

"You know, if you all wear the same color of clothes, you will be dancing," she beamed.

"Ssaem forgot that we do not know how to dance," Min Hyuk said.

"Ssaem also forgot that we play in a band," Jong Hyun remarked.

"Oh, I'm sorry," she replied to them. "I have short-term memory."

"Saranghae," Yong Hwa told her out of the blue.

The three guys turned to him, then at Shin Hye, who blushed at the confession. Shin Hye grinned like silly when Yong Hwa winked at her.

"Gaaaaaaaaa!!!!"

"Harabeoji!!!!!" Jom Bi screamed.

The five of them turned to see Harabeoji on the floor, with bloody nose, and a big grin on his face. Jom Bi was so scared that he grabbed a pack of ice from the fridge to stop the nosebleed.

"Why do you have to be so cute?" Harabeoji asked the two.

Shin Hye looked at her namjachingu in apology before going to her grandpa. Yong Hwa loved it that his girl was super caring to her family members and super sweet to him.

"Gaja," Geun Suk said, coming out from the restroom. Like them, he was wearing black too.

"So, we shall see each other tomorrow," Harabeoji said while wiping the blood off his nose.

"Ne," Geun Suk said.

"Gabwayagesseumnida (We'll go now)," the four guys bowed while talking to the old man.

"We will take care," Geun Suk said.

"Ah, geurae, geurae..." the old man said.

As the four guys exited the living room, Yong Hwa turned back to see his lady love looking at him longingly.

"Why are they all in black?" Jom Bi asked. "Hmmmmm...."

"Family celebration, according to Geun Suk-ssi," the old man said.

"Looks like more of a funeral, hmmmm..." the zombie man replied.

"Aigoo!" Harabeoji chided him, whacking the zombie man with icepack.

"AYA!" Jom Bi screamed.

"Harabeoji, please do not be cruel to Jom Bi-ya..."

****

Park-seonsaengim, aka Psy, was already at the venue in a posh hotel hall. He was getting the place ready for the ritual, along with some of the other vampires in the districts all over Seoul.

"Annyeonghaseyo?" Geun Suk greeted the stocky chubby man.

"Annyeonghaseyo?" Psy greeted back.

The four guys were shocked to learn that Psy-ssaem was actuall a vampire like them. Psy smirked and welcomed the boys back.

"Did you miss me?" he asked the guys.

"Ne..." they lied.

The hall was filled with those posh white table cloths covering the tables, with matching chairs covered with white cover. The chandeliers glowed so lovely one would think that some ordinary party was going to be held. A group of men went to the stage to get the sound systems ready.

"Are they having an early Halloween?" a hotel concierge asked another.

"Mollayo," the second responded. "But they sure look creepy."

Geun Suk turned around to see Alodia Gosengfiao wearing a black Lolita gown, and Jung Shin was taken aback that his girlfriend's favorite icon was a vampire like them.

"Annyeonghaseyo?" Alodia greeted.

"Annyeonghaseyo?" the four guys greeted.

"Oh, Jung Shin Lee," Alodia said. "You were the one who sang at the convention, right?"

"Ne," Jung Shin said, forgetting the nationality of the person he was talking to.

"So odd for a vampire like you," Alodia remarked to the four of them. "The four of you do not smile?"

"Not in front of other people," Jong Hyun replied before being jabbed by Min Hyuk. "What?"

"What do you mean?" Alodia asked, confused.

"Nothing," Yong Hwa lied.

"So odd," Alodia said with her cute smile. "Well, catch up with you later."

The four of them settled at the table as they looked around the premises, watching boredly at the people preparing for the ritual.

"Ah, you, annyeonghaseyo?" another vampire greeted an acquaintance near them.

"Annyeonghaseyo?" you replied.

"Sigh, we really do not know everybody here," Min Hyuk whispered to his cousins.

Later on, the hall got silent as the master of ceremony, Psy, got up the stage and welcomed them to the 472th Annual Vampire Ritual, where only the finest blood will be served once in a new moon.

"We experience new moon every month, but we celebrate one special new moon every June," Psy said. "But of course there is no special day to commemorate it, we just base it on the calender."

The four guys yawned because they were way too bored. Unlike the rituals of other dark forces where there is bloodshed and black magic and anything black, theirs was delightful, except for the clothes and the food. While others engage in scary dances and bloodcurdling songs, Psy's voice was very perky like he was one host who was hosting the lottery on TV. While some black rituals required human sacrifice involving removal of intestines and ghastly activities, the people in this ritual were fashionable. Though they were vampire hybrids who lustfully clamored for blood on other new moons and drink it like crazy, the June new moon was different. They were holding the ritual in a ritzy manner.

"All right, let's all stand for the ritual dance," Psy announced.

The crowd moved to the center of the room and gathered there. Just then, from the sound system came an upbeat tune, and the people danced while following Psy's actions. What were they dancing?

Gangnam Style.

"Mwoya?" Yong Hwa asked as he danced with his left feet again. No wonder the teacher had them practice the dance.

And because of the dance ritual every year, the guys wanted to ditch the ritual because they could not dance.

"It was 'Sorry, Sorry' in 2009," Jung Shin complained.

"And 'Follow Me' in 2010," Jong Hyun frowned, stumbling into Min Hyuk.

"I will not ask what they danced last year," Min Hyuk scowled.

For it was T-ara's "Lovey Dovey" in 2011.

"Why are they engaging in such stupid dances?" Yong Hwa asked. "I cannot dance!"

"Na do," the three chorused.

They looked at their uncle enjoying the dance, and suddenly, their thoughts went back to the house. What is G.na doing? They did not know, but by now, G.na was busy scrubbing the floors of the libary.

The other vampires were enjoying the horseplaying and the "ehhhhh, y lady...." And Psy was enjoying as he led the coven. After the dance, the crowd went back to their seats to wait for their dinner. Waiters came in with silverware covered tightly, and the vampires knew that the chef who cooked was a vampire like them. The waiters did not know it, but they placed the food on each table. As the waiters left, the head of each table opened the covers of the silverware, and aroma of the food wafted into the air.

The food looked a bit dark, but it was garnished so nicely that people will not think it is a recipe made with blood.

"I'm so hungry!" Min Hyuk gaped like a child.

The head of the table got his share first, and after he was done, he rotated the lazy Susan on the table for the others to have their fill. Later on, alcoholic beverages made from blood were also served to the guests, as well as desserts made from dead mosquitoes.

Yong Hwa lost appetite as he looked at the mosquito dessert, and he suddenly craved for the yogurt that Shin Hye liked a lot. Strawberry yogurt. That was what he is going to eat later.

"Enjoying, meboys?" Geun Suk asked.

"Ne..." they lied.

After their dinner, the four guys went to the stage to prepare their instruments. The crowd grew silent, and the vampire fan girls shrieked in delight to see the four hot guys playing like they were in some concert. They played to CN Blue's "Dream Boy." Yong Hwa's husky voice resonated all over the hall that girls shrieked like they were so in love, and Geun Suk shed a tear. He was so damn proud of his nephews.

****

"I can't wait to get out of here," Jung Shin said as he brushed his teeth.

"Na do," Yong Hwa said. "I don't want my breath to smell like cooked blood. Ew."

"Fresh blood tastes better," Jong Hyun said while preparing his minty mouthwash.

"Yeon Seo-noona might not kiss me again," Min Hyuk complained after spitting a wad of toothpaste. "All the blackened blood sticks to my molars!"

"Hah, we need molar support," Jung Shin replied.

The boys rushed to the restroom after their performance because they did not want to mingle with the rest of the vampires. For sure, for the end of the ritual will surely end with a dance, and surely it will be Gangnam Style again.

****

Yong Hwa rushed to the convenient store before it closes because he wanted to grab some strawberry yogurt. The taste of cooked blood still lingered in his mouth. He grabbed two and ate as he went out.

"Yong Hwa?" Shin Hye asked as she met him near the door.

"Ssaem?" he asked.

"Your uncle said you will not be coming home, right?"

"Ne... I.. I just ditched the party," he lied.

"So...shall we hang out for a while?" she asked him. "Let me buy some yogurt first."

He was about to give his second cup when Shin Hye rushed inside the store to buy. And by the time she got back, she had three cups with her. The two of them went on a night date to River Han, where they spent some time chatting and eating yogurt.

"Jinjja?" she asked in disbelief. "All of the food are made of blood? Ew."

"Jinjja," he said as he looked at her. "And the ritual just looks like it is some party. We even played three songs in a row."

"Awwww... I wish I had seen you play," she cooed.

"There is no use in wishing for that," he scowled. "The food tastes aweful. And the chef, world-class? World-class my f***ing a**."

Shin Hye hit his biceps for cursing.

"Stop cursing," she chided him.

He looked at her and smiled.

"You are acting as that teacher lover again?"

She bit her lips and smiled, lowering her head. She can't afford to let him see his blushes when his y voice was making her head swirl.

And despite the lights all around River Han, just that fact that she went on a night date with her boyfriend made her giddy.

"What tastes better than strawberry yogurt?" he asked.

Shin Hye looked at him with a smile because he asked that same question the first time they met one night.

"A kiss," she said.

His face was down, and he shook his head.

"Ne? So what is better than strawberry yogurt?" she asked in confusion.

"Fresh blood."

"EH??????"

"It's new moon, remember?" he told her.

"Ah...ne... I forgot... I forgot you were just telling me about that dinner..."

She grinned foolishly again as she twiddled with her fingers while looking at the river current. For Yong Hwa, no matter how she looked, she always looked beautiful. Shin Hye did not notice that he was leaning in closer. He leaned forward, and cocked his head to face her, and he planted a soft kiss on her lips without warning.

He tasted the sweet taste of strawberry in , and she closed her eyes to relish the sweet taste of strawberry on his tongue. The Han River date ended up with some soft and sweet strawberry kisses.

 

****

(up next, more sweetness everyone!)