Strawberry Ice Cream

The Case Of The Weird School

Sweet, sour (the feeling of being giddy), light, fluffy...like strawberry ice cream...

****

Jom Bi and Harabeoji did not join the students and the teacher, for the two of them were on some important business on the mountains. Min Hyuk, Jong Hyun, and Jung Shin strolled along all the other famous places in Yeosu, including the grand Geobukseon, a replica of Admiral Yi's turtle ship. They did not join our lovers, who had their date on their own.

Yong Hwa and Shin Hye finished their household chores before roaming all over Yeosu. They visited a lot of sights, including the Turtle Ship, but they went there before the three guys did. They also visited the Jinnamgwan, the Jasan Park where the statue of Yi Sun Shin can be found, and others. During lunch, they ate at Soho-dong, another famous attraction for its yacht marina and cafes.

"Going solo at night was all I did when I was in college," Shin Hye said while sipping her juice.

"You did not invite your classmates?" he asked her.

"Ani. My classmates went here by themselves, and they don't need me to show them around," she said.

"You are a loner?" Yong Hwa as he put some cream from his cake to her nose.

"Ya!" she ed as she realized what he had done. "Aish...."

Yong Hwa only smirked at her, then erupted into a laughter. His laughter was like music to her ears, but it did not stop her from retaliating. She got some cream from his cake and put some on his nose.

"Aish...Ssaem..er... Shin Hye-ya, you are too much!" he complained.

"You started it," she remarked wittingly.

"Where shall we go next?" he asked her.

"Let's go shopping downtown," she suggested.

"Shopping? Geurae, geurae!" he exclaimed.

The two went downtown to shop for anything that they can splurge on. Shin Hye acted as the doting noona who was willing to give anything to her younger lover, so she bought him this and that. But Yong Hwa did not want to be outdone. He wanted to act as THE boyfriend, so he also bought her this and that. While they were occasionally arguing over trivial matters, the sellers could not get enough of their cuteness, and soon, bloody noses were manifested by every seller in the district.

"Your namjachingu does not smile, but both of you look so adorable together," one seller said as she wiped her nose.

"Ah...gamsahamnida..." Shin Hye graciously replied.

Many girls saw Yong Hwa's princely bearing and cold manner, but they fell in love with him. They followed Shin Hye and Yong Hwa as they shopped, bringing umbrellas with them.

"I did not even hear of thunderstorms in the news," Shin Hye told Yong Hwa as she watched the girls holding open umbrellas. "How come rain is following them?"

"Molla," the vampire replied.

Of course, occurrences that were so strange that rain and thunderstorm often come when the vampires appear.

****

That night, Yong Hwa and Shin Hye went to Dolsan Bridge. It was the first time that Yong Hwa saw changing lights on a bridge, and he gaped in wonder. It was so beautiful that he felt like a kid watching fireworks.

"Wow...!" Yong Hwa exclaimed.

Shin Hye mused because it was the first time she saw her namjachingu act like this. She pinched his cheek to make him wake up from his revelry.

"Mwo!" he exclaimed again as he massaged his cheek.

"Bap meogeuro gaja (Let's eat)," Shin Hye told him, holding her belly. "Bae gopa...(I'm hungry)."

Well, shopping around makes one hungry. Good thing for Yong Hwa, he was bringing along a backpack to store some water for the day, and he used it to store all the stuff that they had bought downtown. They went to the small cafes and took their dinner there.

"The Dolsan Bridge is one of my favorite spots here in Yeosu," Shin Hye told him. "It reminds me of River Han at night."

"Ah, jinjja jinjja..." he told her. "I guess lighted bridges makes the world attractive at night."

"Maja (I agree)," Shin Hye replied.

"Shall we order some dessert first?" Yong Hwa begged. "The food you ordered was too spicy for my taste."

Vampire.

"So, you are affected by too much garlic?" she .

"I like garlic, but not too much," Yong Hwa complained. "Erkkkhhh... my throat!"

Shin Hye giggled and hailed a waiter, and she ordered dessert for the two of them. After a few minutes, their dessert came, and Yong Hwa looked at her boredly as she scooped through her strawberry yogurt.

"You really are a er for strawberry yogurts," he pointed out.

"Wae andwae (why not)?" she asked as she her spoon. "You see, it has become a habit, and habits die hard."

She pushed her dessert cup and offered him some. He obliged and shared his mango-flavored ice cream with her.

****

The Dolsan Park was also one of the places to be visited in Yeosu, and a nice view of the illuminated metro can be seen. Yong Hwa and Shin Hye strolled around the park and marveled at the exposed night beauty. Both were holding hands as they walked, and they merited the jealousy of other couples who were trying so hard to be sweet. Shin Hye received glaring eyes from girls whose boyfriends stared at her, and Yong Hwa almost got boxed by some guys whose girlfriends longed for him. Our YongShin lovers did not mind, but went on their business of enjoying the night.

"Are you tired?" Yong Hwa asked Shin Hye.

"Ne... we had been walking since this morning," she said. "Shall we go home already?"

"Arasseo," he told her. "Let's continue our fun tomorrow."

"Uhm, I'd not stroll tomorrow," she told him. "I need to visit a friend doctor here. You and the guys should come with me."

"Eh?" Yong Hwa asked, pale. "We are not sick or anything."

"Ara, but you and the guys should not lose the momentum you have during the first half of the school year..."

"Aish..." he complained. "We are here to have fun, not to study."

Shin Hye smiled knowingly.

"Ara... but it is almost November, and I want the four of you to make it."

Yong Hwa understood what she wanted. CSAT was like a sole lifeline that you should hold on to...like the future depends entirely on it. Since he could remember, his parents in Busan had been making him study hard, but he was not good with it. Even Uncle Geun Suk could not make him study the way he had done now under Shin Hye's supervision.

"Arasseo," he said. "I will tell the others about it."

Shin Hye held his hand, and they walked to start going home.

 

~~~~