Chapter 6

My Bestfriend was all lies.

 

Right now, Da Hye could not control the cold sweat in her hands. She was sweating like mad in nervousness. In mere minutes, she will be on stage. Her first stage. Not as an idol, but as an unknown identity. She is not known by people or BTOB's fans, she assumed that her identity coupling with an idol will make a buzz.
 
She was sitting in the waiting room, keeping her gaze low as she kept wiping her sweaty hands.
 
 
Da Hye could feel her heart stopped the moment she heard Hyunsik announce the news.
 
She wanted to scream but someone beat her to it.
 
"WHAT?!"
 
And Da Hye knew exactly, who the voice belongs to. She turns around to find Eunkwang and Jihyun at the doorstep of the dance room.
Eunkwang's expression showed shock and dissatisfaction.
 
"She can't just join in. She is still a trainee! This is unacceptable!" Eunkwang spat.
 
Da Hye gaped. Its not that she disagrees on what Eunkwang just brought up. In fact it was true. But Da Hye was hurt by the tone of his voice. He seems to really disagree on this. Its as if he hated Da Hye being there with them.
 
She turns back to Hyunsik to turn down the offer but the choreographer interrupted.
 
"Look, Eunkwang. I know it seems sudden and the performance is like in just 2 days from now, but believe me when I say, when you guys dance as 7 couples a while ago, the image was spectacular. I don't deny, Da Hye was born with talent. She blends in as if she has been practicing for days. I was caught off guard. So I thought she deserved to join this performance. Its a way for her to experience being on stage too."
 
"But what about the president? Will he agree on such a sudden decision like this?" Minhyuk voiced out.
 
"Leave that to me. You guys just perform it with all your heart."
 
So here Da Hye is, on the day of the performance, hiding in the waiting room alone. The president of CUBE believed in the words of the choreographer and let him carry on with his plans.
Which made Da Hye more nervous.
 
'What if I screw up?'
 
She cannot help to think many negative thoughts.
 
"You're going to do fine Noona, don't worry. I'm right here!" 
Hyunsik appeared into the room.
 
He knew Da Hye was scared to her wits. So he decided to give some encouragement. He gripped Da Hye's clasped fingers in his. He squeezed it gently as a form of support.
 
"Noona, close you eyes for a bit." Hyunsik instructed.
 
Da Hye widen her eyes instead.
 
"Trust me. Just do it." He gave a comforting smile instead of his usual smirk.
 
Da Hye did as she was told.
 
She suddenly felt warm arms embracing her back and feel her face buried into a chest. Her heart rate instantly goes rapid.
Immediately she snapped her eyes open.
 
"Wh-"
 
"Keep your eyes closed!" Hyunsik ordered. "I didn't say you could open it yet!"
 
She did not know what overcame her but she followed his orders and shut her eyes back.
 
Hyunsik lightly pat Da Hye's back in rhythm. He wanted to give some comfort and calm her nerves.
They stayed that way for some good long minutes.
Da Hye's heartbeat somehow calms down as her nervous feeling slowly disappears.
She felt better. Felt comforted.
 
Hyunsik released his embrace and his usual charming smirk spread across his lips.
 
"Better?" he asked.
 
Da Hye nods and return Hyunsik a gratitude smile.
 
"Good. Now let's rock this stage."
 
 
 
The 7 couples were gracefully dancing across the stage. Because of their spectacular appearance, minor mistakes were overseen. Da Hye made the most mistake. Eventhough Hyunsik had comforted her before the stage, the moment she stepped on it, the syndrome started all over again.
Hyunsik could read Da Hye's face as it was as white as a sheet of blanket. He twines his hands in her's and never let go. Hoping this could somehow give her some last minute support.
 
Da Hye slipped many times but Hyunsik saved her endlessly. Everytime she slipped, he would twirl her to cover up. They were the only couple who twirled the most, going against the steps of the choreography. Da Hye wanted to cry the moment she saw herself not being in the same routine as the other couples. She could not lift her head. She kept her gaze low as she bit her slighty trembled lips. 
 
'I screwed it.' She thought.
 
Even at the ending pose where the couples were to look at each other in their eyes, Da Hye hung her head low, despite the fact that her body was plastered on Hyunsik's.
 
Hyunsik lifts her chin. He felt a tinged of guilt and sadness when he saw Da Hye's eyes glisten with tears. And within seconds, they rolled down her cheeks.
 
Despite the audience crowd exploding in ovation, the two were caught in their own world.
 
Hyunsik wipes of her tears with his fingers. He held back the urge to hug her. He really wanted to hug her right that moment. He took everything he got to stop himself.
His heart aches seeing Da Hye in tears.
He slips his hand back in hers, and the seven couple bowed in gratitude to the audience. Thanks to Da Hye's long hair, she was able to hide her tears from the world as she bowed.
Hyunsik then immediately dragged her off the stage, back to the waiting room.
This time he could not comfort her as how he wanted because the rest were in the same room.
Da Hye excused herself from the rest, still keeping her head hung low as she head toward the washroom. 
Hyunsik clenches his fists as his eyes trailed Da Hye's back disappearing out the door.
He felt responsible for making Da Hye sad. He insisted her to join this. He told her she was going to do fine. But Da Hye got hurt in the end.
Though he wanted to tell her that it was okay, he knew it would not change anything.
He sighed as he took off his black coat and grabbed his daily clothings to change.
 
~~~
 
Days past after her first stage.
She was back in the dance studio, practicing her off. She could not get her small mistakes she did during that dance performance out her head. She promised herself to practice harder so that she would not repeat the same mistakes again on her next stage. IF she can get on the stage in the near future.
She took a short 30 seconds break, gulp down a whole lot of water and moved on again, moving her body to the music.
She has been dancing for hours. Its way past midnight, and there were not many people in the entertainment buidling. She had asked for permission beforehand from the choreographer to let her practice.
She finally refrain herself from dancing to death. Eventhough she still felt unsatisfied with her practice, she had to stop and head back to her dorm. There is assessment tomorrow, or rather today since its already past midnight. Her second assessment, which made her more determine to not screw it again. 
She packed her stuffs as she wipes her sweat with a towel.
 
She scan through the room to make sure the room was in the exact state she entered before.
When everything seemed in place, she turns to head out the door. She got a midnight shock seeing someone leaning against the door.
 
"Wargh! Kamchagia! W-what are you doing?!" She screamed, taking a jump back, her chest again and again.
 
Da Hye thought her heart would jump out because of the shock.
 
Hyunsik just gave his usual charming smirk. He put his hands in his pocket and approach Da Hye.
 
He closes in and tuck Da Hye's fringe behind her right ear.
 
"Noona. Are you okay?" he began gently.
 
Da Hye's heartbeat began to race. Yet again, she avoides his eye contact.
 
Eversince the dance performance, BTOB was too busy and Hyunsik couldn't get the chance to talk to Da Hye. But he knew Da Hye has been practicing late into the night every night. He would always come by after their last schedule and find her in the dance studio, dancing her off.
His guilty conscience grew everytime he sees her dancing harder by the day. He knew she was purposely pushing herself too hard for her mistakes during their couple performance days ago.
 
Only until today did he found the courage to approach her, and since BTOB has a late night dance practice as well, he thought it was meant to be. So he mad sure he was the first to arrive.
 
Seeing Da Hye's head hung low, Hyunsik made a move. He embraces Da Hye and pull her into a hug despite his heart rate pumping at lightning speed.
 
Da Hye did not move. She did not respond neither did she object. She just stood as if lifeless in Hyunsik's arms.
 
"Mianhae Noona." The words finally slip through his mouth. "Mianhae."
 
In that silent atmosphere they have been in for some minutes, Hyunsik finally heard a sob coming from his chest.
Da Hye suddenly felt sad. She remembered her mistakes that she was able to forget minutes ago. She cried, sobbing into Hyunsik's broad chest clutching onto his t-shirt. She cried for minutes into his chest, and Hyunsik let her be. He wanted her to let it out and not hold it in and blame herself any longer. He had to even fight back his own tears.
 
Like any other time when Hyunsik and Da Hye were having some time together, Eunkwang just had to be there to witness it. He halted in his steps at the entrance. He could not believe his eyes. He should have seen this coming the moment Hyunsik started to show interest in her from day 1.
He entered the studio, eyes stuck on the two. He purposely dropped his bagpack from a high point to make a loud bang the moment it kisses the ground.
 
With that it returns Hyunsik's senses and they both turn to look at the source of noise. Eunkwang was glaring at them. If he had superpowers, his glare would have given out lasers.
Hyunsik releases his hands around Da Hye's back and they stood apart at an awkward distance. Eunkwang did not remove his glare. His face even showed annoyance. He wanted to give a piece of his mind. As a leader, he thought he had the rights.
 
"If you're here for hanky panky, don't bother to even come..." he sarcastically said, precisely glaring at Hyunsik.
"Instead of flirting, practice would do some good for assessment and not in front of all..." This time, he meant it for Da Hye.
He did not even bother to glare at Da Hye. He felt disgusted. He felt agitated.
His words stung Da Hye's heart like a bee.
 
'Why are you so mean to me Ji Min...? If you're really Ji Min, it's me... Da Hye...' She held back her overwhelming tears from streaming down again and left her head low.
 
If only Jihyun did not interrupt them that day, she could have found out his real identity. That familiar feeling flashing through his eyes bothered Da Hye so much. Now she really really wants, no, needs to find out.
 
Da Hye gave a bow to Hyunsik and left the room. Hyunsik could only sigh as he put his hands on his hips. He gave a look at his hyung and decided to just let it go.
 
'Maybe I shouldn't have hugged her. Or maybe, one day, I should ask him why he's always upset every time Da Hye is around. What has Da Hye done to make him that way?'
 
Hyunsik heaved another sigh as he headed to warm up for their dance practice as the rest started piling into the dance studio.
 
~~~
 
The trainees were nervously waiting for their names to be called out. Its the second assessment day and the trainees had drained themselves days ago to show a better side from last's weeks assessment. The assessors marched in with their clipboards and assessment booklets of every trainee.
They settled in their places and one assessor announced a shocking news.
 
"Good day everyone. Are you all doing fine?" The crowd responded loud. "Good good. I hope you all trained harder for today. Are you guys in for a surprise?"
 
Trainees turn to each other and mumbled assumptions among themselves. Likewise did the Mentors.
 
The one assessor's side lips crooked up as if amused seeing the crowd being confused.
 
"Well, today, your assessment will be a little different. Instead of us assessing the trainees' progress, we would like to assess the teamwork between the mentor and the trainee."
 
Loud gasps filled the room as the trainees make contacts with their Mentors who were also in great surprise at the sudden news.
The hassle went on as the two groups; trainees and mentors, got panic at what they could suddenly perform as partners in this last minute announcement.
 
The assessor claps loudly to grab back their attention.
 
"Come on, if you guys have been training and practicing, you guys need not worry, right? You can perform anything! Singing, dancing? As long as you guys make a team." He gave another crooked smile. "Ja, let's get on with it." 
 
The trainees darted to their individual mentors and started discussing in rush on what they could possibly perform.
 
The assessors let them be for some minutes without interrupting.
 
"Okay, that's enough. Can we get the first couple please. Im Hyunsik and Lee Taemin, please come forward."
 
More gasps arose as others panicked more than ever as their names could be called out in minutes.
 
"Silence please." 
 
The seated crowd quiets down but discussions could still be heard in whispers.
All except...
 
Seo Eun Kwang, Min Da Hye couple.
 
Big surprise.
Eunkwang looked obviously pissed, but Da Hye's face was white as she tried to find courage and ideas for them to perform.
She felt like she could faint. She was determined to not screw this time, but it all seemed useless now.  She bit her lips as she zoned out in panic.
 
'I'm doomed, I'm officially doomed now.' She thought as she groaned inwardly in silence.
 
Without her realizing, one by one started doing their mission. And its time for the remaining two.
These two.
 
"Okay, let's get this over with. The final couple, please take your places. Seo Eun Kwang, Min Da Hye."
 
Da Hye snapped back to reality when she heard her name. She jerked her head up and saw Eunkwang up on his foot making his way down the center stage.
 
She stumbled her way tailing Eunkwang. They stood side by side and bowed toward the judges. 
 
Eunkwang seemed like he knows what he was doing.
 
He turns to Da Hye and close in between them. He lowered himself to Da Hye's height and spoke.
 
"I know you're shock, well I am too. Since there's nothing we can come up within a short time, let's just do that dance performance you partnered with Hyunsik and screwed it that day." 
 
Da Hye widened her eyes and held her breath.
 
"W-with you?" she croaked.
 
"Do you have a choice?" Eunkwang's tone showed annoyance as he narrowed his eyes down on her.
 
The assessor cleared his throat on purpose.
 
Da Hye nodded, obliging to it. She had no other choice. There was not anything else they could do and she did not want to forfeit. Neither did Eunkwang.
 
Eunkwang synced the song into the music player and took his place.
A sudden lightning strike hit him the moment he placed his hand on Da Hye's hip and her's on his shoulder.
His heart rate raced, feeling nervous all of a sudden.
 
Meanwhile, Da Hye was having her own internal tension. 
Juggling between the shivering at Eunkwang's touch and the shivering of the negative feeling of screwing it again.
She decided to close her eyes to calm herself and let the rhythm come to her naturally. Thankfully, it was able to make her lessen the worry and let her conscience guide her through the routine.
She imagined herself in practice, sliding and gliding through the floor flawlessly.
 
In closed eyes, a natural smile bloomed on her lips. She felt confident now. She could do this right.
When Eunkwang, saw Da Hye in closed eyes and a subtle smile across Da Hye's face, it made him feel uncomfortable as he felt a tug in his heart. He cleared a throat and reprimanded her in a low voice.
 
"Can you please get your eyes open? You're gonna make us both screw it!" He did it in gritted teeth.
 
As if being awakened from a beautiful dream, Da Hye snapped her eyes open at the moment they had to make a few twirls and within seconds her worries came charging back into her. Her legs froze and she stumble backwards. In immediate reaction, she grabbed onto Eunkwang's shirt and pulled him with her.
 
"Ack!"
 
She fell lying on her back, feeling a heavy load on her upper front body .
Eunkwang landed right on top of her due to the pull even though he did try to grab a hold before her fall but he could not make it on time.
Da Hye could feel a different heartbeat beating against her own.  
Eunkwang's heartbeat was racing as fast as hers. It's as if their hearts were both in a marathon. 
Da Hye could also feel his chest expanding and contracting rapidly with his every breath. 
But amongst all the closeness between them, the thing she was surprised more was the soft feeling that landed on the side of her lips.
 
Inevitably. On the laminated dancing floor.  Witnessed by a crowd and a row of judges. 
 
The two had their first kiss.
 
Sort of.
 
-----
 
A/N_Aigoo ya, aigoo ya.... 
What happened?
Kisseu?!
GASP!
HAHAHA. ;D
 
I'm sorry. 
You guys are reading from an author who is not having a sane mind. *shakes head*
Haha.
Okay yes, I shall stop it. Ignore this Author's Notes okay?
I'm am just crapping around the bush.
 
Mani mani saranghaejuseyo!
 
Commentseu tooo pleaseu! xD
 
 
Yogi Kaji~
Tto Beoja! ^.^