Chapter 5: Duet to Remember

Dare to Desire

 Music in the soul can be heard by the universe.

ミ★~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~★彡

Jieun’s POV

            My cell phone continually vibrated throughout dinner, so much that my mom scolded me for texting while eating over eight times. She mentioned something about food not digesting properly if we don’t focus when we eat, which I thought was completely stupid so I tried my best to zone her voice out. The texting conversation that the unknown ID and I had wasn’t casual, in fact, it was probably the most awkward conversation with a complete stranger I ever had but if they had my number, they couldn’t be a complete stranger, could they? It vibrated again.

Unknown ID:

Want to meet up tomorrow afterschool?

            I could feel my left eye twitching by itself. Was this person mentally challenged? Since elementary we’ve always been warned to never meet up with strangers like this. My mind played a scene of a little girl being lured to a car by a e offering a lollipop and then being kidnapped just like how our parents explained to us when we were little.

Lee Jieun:

Are you stupid? I don’t even know your name! Plus, I have musical theatre wrap-up tomorrow.

            I glared at my phone’s screen so long that I felt everything behind it turn completely black.  Would the stranger think I was being too harsh? Sighing, I added in the “^_^” face at the end to lighten the tension. Why I was so worried about how harsh I sounded towards a stranger beats me. My legs dangled off my bed, swinging back and forth as if I were on a playground swing as I wondered why at 17 I could still not reach the floor from where I was sitting. Waiting for a response, I tapped my cell phone lightly against my chin repetitively and almost jumped when it vibrated.

Unkown ID:

It’s settled then. We’ll meet tomorrow afterschool in front of the musical theatre doors. As for my name… Just call me Jason ;)

            I faked a puking expression when I saw the winking face at the end of the text message, but with it was a clue. At least now I knew the stranger was a guy, but that only intimidated me more. I mentally brought up a list of students in my school and scrutinized my brain for anyone that went by the name Jason. No doubt it was an American name, so did he come from America too? My eyes fell back onto my phone screen that had turned black after idling for so long.

Lee Jieun:

I never agreed to it, so it’s not my fault if I disappoint you by not showing up…

            Without thinking this time I quickly clicked the send button. This time I really did sound harsh, but when I was reading it over in my mind it didn’t sound too bad. I slowly lay backwards onto my soft bed, leaving my legs bent down against the side of my bed as I stared at my empty ceiling.

            “Should I wait… or should I not?” I mumbled to myself quietly; a habit of mine that I do when I need to make a decision. In all honesty I was really curious as to whom this person was, but if it turned out to be some child predator and if I lived to tell the tale I would be known as the naïve and gullible girl who fell for the oldest e trick in the book. My grip on my phone loosened and I let it slide onto my soft bed sheets, raising both my hands upwards to gently hit the side of my cheek. The apple of my palms pushed the remaining baby fat in my cheeks inwards as I sighed. The repeating vibration of my phone made me rise to a sitting position.

Unkown ID:

You never said no, so I guess it’s a sealed deal!

            After reading this I threw my phone against my pillow with no desire of replying to this. As much as my survival instincts—if I even had any—were telling me to avoid unnecessary meetings with strangers, something was pushing at me to see. At this time I really wished that the popular saying, ‘curiosity killed the cat’ wouldn’t apply.

            “Just walk slowly to musical theatre club and if he doesn’t show up then it’s his fault.” My voice was slightly lower than usual as I repeated my plan to myself. Plus, what were the odds of a e successfully kidnapping a 17 year old high school senior inside a public school without anyone knowing? Then again, the musical theatre hallway was always the most vacant before, after, and during school hours.

            “Jieun; it’s 2:00am! Go to bed!” My mom demanded outside my room, not bothering to open the door to speak.

            “Ne, Umma,” I called back and rose up to turn off my lights. I had a bad feeling about tomorrow, but at the same time I felt excited. I really wanted to find out who the desperate Jason kid is and how he managed to get my number. Who in the world would want to talk to me of all people? In a pastry comparison, I was as dull as a glazed donut; sweet and pure on the outside, completely plain and empty on the inside. I laughed quietly to myself for imagining baked goods when I felt nervous; my mom’s baking obsession must be getting to me.

 

            Classes went by as quick as I prayed they would and I found myself rushing past the same old crowds of gossiping teenagers as I did routinely everyday to get to my locker. I felt so relieved that high school was going to be over in a few more weeks, because my arms ached after a long semester of holding three textbooks and my brain felt overloaded with ‘useless’ information that I would never use. After gently placing my binder of music sheets inside, I roughly tossed in my chemistry, biology, and math textbooks on top and slammed my locker shut. My backpack felt much lighter now hanging from one shoulder.

            “Cheon cheon hi…” I reminded myself to walk slowly as I approached the musical theatre hallway. What if he was already there waiting for me? I found myself now at the opposite end of the hallway, taking tiny baby steps towards the door at least twenty metres away from me, keeping my eyes glued to the patterning floor tiles. I didn’t want to see whether he was there already or not, because if he wasn’t, I knew I would feel disappointed. If he was there though, I wasn’t sure how I should react, depending on the person. My cell phone vibrated in the pocket of my uniform jacket but I didn’t want to check the text. Why did this have to be one of the shortest hallways in my school? After passing a large window which represented the halfway point of the hall, I puffed up my cheeks with air and breathed out through my mouth, keeping my slow pace.

            “Ah, Mianheyo!” I fumbled as I looked up to see who I had just bumped into. My eyes immediately fell on his, who looked back with concern and then a genuine smile.

            “It’s been a while, hasn’t it, Jieun?” He laughed jokingly at my shocked expression. Stuttering, I answered,

            “Wooyoung-sshi, it’s only been a day…” His amused expression stayed stuck to his face as he laughed at his own dorky stupidity. I wanted to kick myself for appearing clueless and laughing sarcastically with him, but his sweet laughter was so contagious. Suddenly, his right arm wrapped around my shoulders and he pulled me closer to him as he pushed open the theatre doors and guided me through. When did we ever become so close? My trance was interrupted with a reminder of why I had been so oblivious to bump into people while walking in the first place. There was someone outside waiting for me! I tried my best to pull away, but Wooyoung’s grip only tightened.

            “Where are you going?” He pried, staring at my desperate face.

            “I need to wait for someone outside…” I pointed back to the doors we had just passed through and he erupted into an uncontrollable chuckle. My left arm weakly punched his shoulder as I asked,

            “Why are you laughing?” He never answered my question, but instead asked his own,

            “Who are you waiting for?” I didn’t know whether I should tell him or not. He would definitely think that I’m stupid, but then again, he was one of the school’s most popular guys and knew pretty much everyone. If there was a Jason who came here that I didn’t know of, he probably would, and if ‘Jason’ was a creep, then he would stop me from meeting him. Mustering up some courage I asked,

            “Do you know a guy named Jason?” Though his laughter subsided a few seconds ago, at the sound of my question his episode began again. I felt slightly annoyed, but my personality never allowed me to show it. He wiped an invisible tear from his eye and then choked,

            “That’s me.”

            “W-what?! The one texting me this whole time was you?” I felt completely oblivious and dumbfounded. He nodded twice and smiled at me, raising his cell phone to be eye level with me. I gawked at his inbox spammed with text messages from ‘Lee Jieun’, AKA me. How could I be so forgetful to not even remember that his stage name in the year-end musical was Jason? I completely forgot the fact that his arm was still wrapped tightly around my shoulder and that from a third person’s perspective, we looked like a complete couple.

            “Yah, kids! No public displays of affection offstage!” Ms. Kim croaked at the two of us with a stern expression, and I winced away. Being scolded by teachers was something I always tried my best to avoid, but it seemed like Wooyoung wasn’t scared at all. He pulled his arm away from my shoulder and remained smiling before chuckling,

            “Choesonghamnida, seonsaengnim,” I didn’t have the guts to speak so I just bowed about 150 degrees. We took a seat in the circle of musical theatre students beside each other and waited for Ms. Kim to speak.

            “As you all know since the year is ending and we've already performed the year-end musical, this club is now coming to an end. It’s been an extreme pleasure to observe how every single one of your talents grew through the course of this school year and I’m quite touched by everyone’s dedication to attending this club afterschool everyday despite homework and final exams. Because I want you all to make this year one of the most memorable, though there will be no more musicals to prepare for, there is still one more task.” I “ooh’d” along with the awestruck crowd, waiting for Ms. Kim to explain.

            “Graduation is nearing, and the principal proposed a splendid idea. Choir has already ended early this year due to unforeseen circumstances so musical theatre club was offered the opportunity to sing at graduation!”  Every single student in the circle brightened with smiles, including me. I imagined a light bulb glowing above my head when a great idea struck my mind.

            “Seonsaengnim, I wrote a perfect song for graduation.” Her ears perked as my soft voice filled the atmospheric circle. All eyes were on me, including Wooyoung’s and I could feel myself mentally being reduced to the size of an ant. I felt Wooyoung nudge me gently on the left arm and I immediately looked up to see Ms. Kim analyzing my every move seeing me shake slightly as Wooyoung made contact with my arm.

            “Great! Jieun, you and Wooyoung shall perform it on graduation day as a duet. Feel free to have full access to the theatre stage afterschool until 8:00pm.” Ms. Kim’s suggestion sounded more like an order, and I only nodded in response. Turning my gaze to Wooyoung who sat less than an inch away from me, I wanted to scream when we made eye contact. His mouth immediately curved into a cheerful smile; it felt like his body had gotten a lot closer to mine since the last time I stole a glance at him. I could see his eyes slowly growing bigger; he was moving closer towards me, and being the inevitably clumsy klutz that I was, I toppled backwards onto the floor once again causing an eruption of laughter from Wooyoung’s overworked vocal chords.

A/N: Sorry for not updating in so long. My life only got more hectic and I forced some free time to write this. I have a LOT of homework and other responsibilities stacked on me right now so I don't know when I can update again but hopefully soon! (I'm brainstorming some really great ideas for the plot as time passes). .

It's so sad that Dream High ended ):! Let's continue living out the "Milky Couple" Fantasies through this fanfic, haha. Thank you to all my commenters and subscribers!! Leave some feedback; I'll get back to you eventually ^^