Chapter 41: Connections

Dare to Desire

 

The rays of happiness, like those of light, are colorless when unbroken.

ミ★~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~★彡

Jieun’s POV

            I cringed slightly, staring back at my manager with fearful eyes. As idols we generally weren’t supposed to have relationships, and I remember the contract that Wooyoung had signed before he debuted with 2PM. It just didn’t seem like it was possible. Before I could explain anything or apologize, my manager’s lips curved into a bright smile and she gave me a gigantic hug. Wooyoung was just as shocked as I was, and when she finally pulled away she gushed,

            “This is perfect! You two should record the Maybe duet together!” I looked at Wooyoung then back at her, wondering if she was in her right mind.

            “How does that sound?” She asked for confirmation, causing my face to light up. She was serious!

            “How are you going to suggest this to the director?” I asked, remembering all the favours my manager did for me already. I was already pulling on the director’s strings, so there was a huge chance he wouldn’t agree to this. With a wink she answered with a hushed whisper,

            “Leave him to me. He’s my father.” I could feel everything falling into place, and I couldn’t wait to step into the recording studio. Just when we thought our strife was ending, 2PM’s manager stepped into the lobby. He was definitely not pleased.

            “Changsung told me you were coming here. We have a concert in half an hour, how can you forget?!” He scolded, dragging Wooyoung out the door. My manager and I followed their car to Inkigayo, parking a few spaces away from them.

            “Are you going to watch their concert?” I asked excitedly. My manager nodded with a smile as we entered the building. The auditorium was filled with cheering hottests waving balloons and light sticks. Even I felt plain for having nothing to hold. My manager wrapped my neck with a scarf and placed an old cap on me. With such dim lighting no one should be able to notice me. We s our way around the crowds and made our way near the front where we could see 2PM perform live. My manager explained that after their performance we would head backstage so she could ask about the duet for my mini album. She’s always such a direct and hands on person. I was glad she was my manager because reliability was a trait she overflowed with.

            “Are you all ready for 2PM?!” An announcer voice from the huge speakers above us screamed, hyping up the audience more. The lights completely shut off and we were immersed in pure darkness for only three seconds until yellow and green lights flashed back on and confetti sprayed up from the air. Smoke machines puffed out clouds of smoke, adding to the dramatic effect of their stage. When we could all see again, my eyes were locked on their silhouettes beyond the fog. When it cleared, the music blasted and their 10 out of 10 performance began. Of course, my eyes were locked on Wooyoung. He seemed to have noticed me too because during his solo, he gave a wink in my direction before continuing with the choreography. Thankfully the fans saw it as fan service and cheered even louder or else all eyes would be on me and I’d be mauled by hopeful hottests. Beyond the flashing lights, hot temperature, deafening fans and confetti constantly falling on our heads, I could see Wooyoung’s face clearly and he was enjoying every moment of his spotlight. He had the eyes of a dreamer, and his heart was in everything he did. I couldn’t help but feel teary-eyed from having watched his transformation. I was just simply overjoyed with how proud I was of him.

            Before the performance ended, my manager quickly pulled me towards the stairs that lead backstage. The security didn’t stop us, probably recognizing my manager. She had strange connections everywhere we went. I took a seat on one of the sofas, watching the small television at the back that monitored their performance. Just momentarily, 2PM returned backstage, sweaty, exhausted but extremely proud of their performance. As they entered single file I stood up and clapped, waiting for Wooyoung to greet me. He walked over casually and ruffled my hair, taking a seat on the sofa I had just sat on and grabbed a water bottle from beside. I only then realized that my manager has disappeared, and so has 2PM’s.

            “Where did manager hyung go?” Junsu asked everyone, looking around frantically.

            “I saw him leave with a woman.” Nichkhun winked in reply. That woman must’ve been my manager.

            “Ooh how scandalous,” Jaebeom joked, taking a sip out of his own water bottle. Their playful nature was fun to observe. Wooyoung shifted over on the sofa to allow room for me to sit. I took a seat and wondered why my manager was gone for so long. Suddenly the back door barged open and 2PM’s manager was grunting, clearly displeased with what my manager had suggested.

            “It can’t be done!” He concluded; slamming the door closed again once everyone passed.

            “Why can’t it?” My manager demanded, clearly frustrated but determined.

            “Are you trying to create a scandal? Look at them!” He roared, pointing directly at Wooyoung and I who sat snugly beside each other on the sofa. Wooyoung caught onto the source of the argument quickly and interrupted,

            “Hyungnim, Jieun and I are both experienced actors.” His manager eyed him disapprovingly, knowing where Wooyoung sided.

            “Acting or not, you two won’t be able to hide the fact that this is real.” He huffed, crossing his arms in frustration.

            “If you had only heard those two sing together you would never have a second thought about letting them record this duet.” My manager added, remembering our short ‘performance’ earlier today.

            “Would you like a demonstration?” Wooyoung asked, standing up and clearing his throat. Was he offering us to sing a snippet of Maybe? He looked at Wooyoung once and sighed,

            “No need. I’ve heard it before. Your high school graduation videos are all over the net. Let’s discuss this later, JYP wanted to come congratulate you guys on a successful promotion period by treating you all to dinner. He should be here any time—“JYP’s entrance interrupted their manager and immediately everyone including me stood up to bow politely. It was as if he were a king, exposing himself to us commoners.

            “Great timing; I’ll just ask JYP himself.” Wooyoung mumbled quietly, just loud enough for me to hear him.

           “Annyeonghaseyo,” Wooyoung stepped up towards JYP, making himself the spotlight in the backstage room. He bowed politely and then looked JYP right in the eyes.

            “I know this is sudden but I have a request.” Wooyoung began, garnering JYP’s attention. He then pulled me up beside him and continued, “May we have your permission to record an original duet for IU’s upcoming mini album?” He then flashed an almost hateful glare at his manager who shook his head on the sidelines.

            “Why do you think I should allow it?” JYP asked, amused. He looked back at Wooyoung with the eyes of a father than the all powerful director of JYP entertainment.

            “Though Loen Entertainment isn’t up at the top, IU has been gaining popularity in the Kpop industry rapidly ever since her debut. Her fans multiply by the second and this could be an opportunity to bring some attention towards 2PM who also recently debuted.” He explained quickly with one breath. There was no doubt he was nervous. JYP rubbed his chin with a thinking expression and then asked,

            “So you want to just use IU-sshi’s growing fame?” I could clearly see that he knew where Wooyoung was getting at, but his expression was playful.

            “Aniyo, that’s not what I meant.” Wooyoung objected, rubbing the back of his head frustrated.

            “Wooyoung, what’s the real reason you want to do this duet?” Even JYP’s voice was as soothing as a father’s. Wooyoung bit his lip, unsure of how to respond. Surely if he admitted to our relationship they would break his contract and kick him out of 2PM. This was a huge dilemma for everyone.

            “It’s okay Wooyoung. You don’t have to do the duet.” I insisted, pulling on his arm to get his attention. I didn’t want him to give up his dream for something so trivial. He resisted my tugging and stood firm in front of JYP who watched him closely.

            “I like Lee Jieun.” He confessed, causing an uproar of immature “ooh-ing” from the other six members of 2PM. A few of them even reached over to smack Wooyoung on the back.

            “Mwo, hyung?! Since when did you like IU?!” Changsung pouted from behind. Taecyeon shoved him onto a couch and sat on him, hushing him by shoving a peeled banana in his mouth.

            “Be quiet and eat your bananas.” Tacyeon sighed, allowing his weight to fall completely over Changsung. He had a knack for ruining the moment. When the attention was back on the centre three, I was surprised to see a smile on JYP’s face. Wasn’t Wooyoung going to get kicked out? Wouldn’t they cut the contract? Instead, JYP reached over and pat Wooyoung on the shoulder supportively.

            “I just needed to hear it with my own ears.” He laughed, confusing 2PM’s manager who opposed,

            “But the contract said—“

            “Forget the contract. I knew about these two before I even accepted Wooyoung as a trainee.” JYP admitted, immediately drawing the attention of everyone in the room.

            “You knew about us? How?” Wooyoung gasped.

            “Let’s just say a little birdie named Kim Seonsaengnim sent me a video half a year ago.” He explained in one short and sweet sentence. Kim Seonsaengnim our musical theatre supervisor? We received special recommendation from Kim Seonsaengnim? After not hearing her name for over half a year I suddenly missed her a million times more.

            “I was keeping investigators and reporters off your backs until I got the full story from you, Wooyoung.” JYP explained, still smiling. Were we dreaming?

            “Jieun-sshi, I’ll give a call to the director of Loen Entertainment tomorrow morning to approve your duet proposal with Jang Wooyoung.” He smiled with a wink, and then waved for the members to come follow him. They were running late for dinner, but JYP felt determined to congratulate them each for their hard work. Before we went separate ways, JYP informed us that once I release my first mini album, they would publicize our relationship. I never knew that when I risked my life on a dare to desire that even my wildest dreams would fit correctly into the puzzle of my life.

A/N: I'm on an updating spree haha! ^^ Hope you all are enjoying these chapters. Dare to Desire is going to be finished quite soon.