Chapter 18: Let's Be Friends

Dare to Desire

It is only at the first encounter that a face makesits full impression on us.

ミ★~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~★彡

Wooyoung’s POV

            We managed to grab all of our luggage and made our way to a vacant bench as Taecyeon impatiently dialed the same number on his cell phone for the tenth time. I should’ve known better than to trust him with my life. My mind would not divert from the thought that we were screwed, dropped in the middle of an unfamiliar country in which we were known as the foreigners with very little money and no means of transportation. Leaning back against the wooden bars of the bench, I flipped open my navy blue notebook and began memorizing some handy phrases like ‘Where is the washroom?’ or ‘What time is it?’ and mouthed the pronunciation quietly to myself. The letter ‘r’ was really giving my tongue troubles. Slamming the notebook closed on my lap, I turned back for a report from Taecyeon. He turned to me and shrugged, holding the phone close to his ear.

            “Yah, you never had a friend in Canada did you?” I began to question out loud in annoyance. He placed his index finger over my lips as if to hush me and began chanting the words ‘pick up’ repeatedly with his eyes closed in a loud whisper.

            “You should just call a taxi and befriend the driver. If she’s female we’d be less likely to be screwed.” I sneered, losing all hope in my disorganized friend. He rolled his eyes at me and took a few steps away. I could tell we were both equally annoyed with each other.

            “What is your name?” I slowly uttered, focusing on Taecyeon’s sloppy English words on the page. I began repeating it at a faster pace until I felt like I mastered the phrase. Just for good measures, I tried to ask the question in a normal speaking voice to compare accents.

            “Bae Suzy,” A harsh but feminine voice replied; her presence casted a shadow over the entire bench. I looked up to see a girl—probably a few years our junior—eyeing me with an uninterested expression, a straw connected to a small yogurt cup drink in . Did she say her last name was Bae? So she’s Korean?

            “Suji!” Taecyeon’s excited voice cheered past a crowd of children playing tag as he approached us with an earnest grin. I twitched slightly as he leaned in to impulsively hug her. Her pupils shifted in the other direction—annoyed—as she waited for his arms to unwrap her with her feet impatiently tapping against the airport’s floor.

            “Yah hyung, do you greet every girl like that?” I chortled; my voice inserted some space between the two of them.

            “Where do you think you are?” She hissed at Taecyeon, lightly smacking him on the head. He stared back in confusion joking,

“Is that how you treat your Oppa?” She sighed,

            “Call me Suzy not Suji, and since we aren’t in Korea, I will not call you Oppa.” My mind circled around the differentiations of the two names. I began making awkward facial expression to no one as I tried to pronounce the letter ‘z’. It to be a fob.

            “Okay okay, Suzy.” Taecyeon surrendered with a pout, raising two hands as if he were throwing in the towel along with his puppy eyes that definitely made him look like a sissy. I envied him slightly for his perfect pronunciation without any effort. Back in Korea I would always laugh at Taecyeon hyung every time he pronounced a word wrong but it seemed now the tables were completely turned.

            “What’s your name?” Suzy turned to ask me, her arms crossed and her stare intimidating.

            “Jeoneun Jang Wooyoung imnida,” I replied her question that I had previously memorized in Korean. She tapped the side of her cheek with one index finger, making a frustrated thinking face as she shook her head disapprovingly at me.

            “Your friend doesn’t know English very well, does he?” She asked Taecyeon, still eyeing me from head to toe. If anything it seemed more like she was checking me out.

            “He’s quite slow when it comes to learning new languages.” Taecyeon answered, now copying Suzy’s exact movements and shaking his head slowly at me. The way their head movements were in complete sync made me think they were a couple.

            “Mweoya?!” I burst, unable to stand their discrimination any longer.

            “Aniaeyo.” Suzy replied with an emotionless tone, speaking for the first time in Korean. I had to commend her accent, but what was up with her attitude? Irritated, I stood up and demanded,

            “Are we just going to stand here or what?” That instant, suzy turned and began walking away from us, the opposite direction we came. Soon after, Taecyeon began following and nudged me lightly before tracing her steps. She was one person I’d have to take a lot of time to get used to. Sighing, I grabbed my luggage and wheeled it along after them to wherever the hell we were heading. Still now, no one told me.

Jieun’s POV

            “Annyeonghikyeseyo, Appa” I waved from the back window before slamming the door shut and breathing in the fresh air outside of Seoul’s Institute’s dorms. An orange-yellow envelope that was mailed to me from the school last week was in my hand. I lifted the top flap that secured the papers inside from slipping out and pulled out a pink sheet with the dormitory map. At the very top was my room number printed in bold and in at least a size thirty-six font. I stood cluelessly outside the front doors for a while, turning the paper around as I analyzed it. My parents always understood my illiteracy when it came to reading maps, but this was one step closer to my independence so I had no intentions of asking anyone for help. Even if I got lost, there were no classes to day so it’d give me an opportunity to explore my new grounds. Taking a small gulp, I pulled on the metal handle of the glass doors and slipped through the first set, the map grasped so tightly in my nervous left hands that my fingers created small dents that I failed to smooth out. After passing the second set of glass doors, I could see that there were plenty other new students here, eager to discover the campus as I was. There was even a small tinge of hope that I would make at least one new friend during my stay here. Whoever distributed the maps was even kind enough to highlight the direct route I could take from the front doors to my room; it seemed almost dummy proof. Almost.

            Half an hour later I found myself walking in a circle and it felt as if my feet would form a rut in the ground of I continued on. Stopping directly in the middle of the foyer in front the glass door entrance, my eyes scanned the signs hanging from the roof before each start of a hallway. I mentally face-palmed and went down the hallway that read ‘West Wing’ until I met up with a flight of stairs. Stopping again, I eyed the map closely and saw that the yellow highlighter trail overlapped the small image of stairs on the paper. Anxiously I made my way up, pushing past the two doors at the top of the stairway and upon reading the next hallway’s sign I gasped.

            “Double dorms?” I muttered, reading the sign in front of me. My room was down this hallway, meaning I had a roommate? I felt my heart sink, knowing how unsociable I was towards the rest of the world. It didn’t matter how understanding my roommate would be; they would think I was a freak in less than a week. I bit my bottom lip nervously and advanced down the hall, scanning past each room number in decreasing chronological order until I saw mine labeled 27. My hands reached into the same orange-yellow envelope and pulled out a small silver key attached to a lanyard dyed with the school’s colors and unlocked the door. Without a creek, I pushed it open with my hand grasped on the knob and poked my head around. There were two beds; one on both sides of the room against the wall with two desks side by side separated by one garbage can. I sighed realizing that my roommate wasn’t here yet and plopped my loaded backpack onto the bed with a thump. The mattress must’ve been really old and stiff in order for my backpack to make a thump sound. My hands shifted upwards and rubbed both of my tired eyes. In return I blinked twice and then looked around with a yawn. This definitely was not more spacious than my room back at home, but it was decent enough for me. I ped all the zippers on my backpack and shook out all its’ contents, stretching my arms before scurrying around my side of the room, stuffing my possessions in every drawer and cabinet and hanging all my clothes. After the majority of my stuff was finally off my bed and in their respective places, I grabbed my folder of my original music composition and lyrics and flipped it open. My heartbeat grew faster as I browsed through every page, flipping through each sheet three times before my heart completely sank. Where the heck did ‘Maybe’ and ‘Say You Love Me’ go? I sat on my bed lost in deep thought as I remembered the day I threw them onto the floor. I never saw them since, so my mom probably accidently threw them out.

            “There goes two potentially chart-topping songs…” I mumbled to myself disappointingly as I threw my folder onto the desk closest to my bed. Suddenly the sound of a key turning in the keyhole of my room door sent unwanted shivers down my spine. My roommate was here, and I was debating whether or not I should just childishly hide in the closet or under my bed like how I did back when I still played hide-and-seek, but I resisted the temptation to do so. After two turns of the knob, the door soundlessly opened and my jaw dropped figuratively at the sight of who had stepped in.

            “Oh? What a coincidence. Long time no see, Lee Jieun.” Eunjung smiled deceivingly at me, flicking her head to one side to allow her movements to brush her bangs out of her face. Why did I suddenly feel like my whole world was being into a black hole? Nervously, I forced out a polite smile and raised one hand to wave with an awkward laugh.

            “Annyeong…” I forced out a greeting. With her hand she did a perfect hair flip as if she practiced hours in front of a mirror to make it look normal and she began taking steps towards me. I felt myself sink deep into my already flattened mattress out of sheer fear. She, apart from my father, was the only person who could make me feel so small and defenseless in this world. Her suspicious eyes were locked on mine, and I had no courage to look away as her face inched closer to mine. After a long ten seconds, which felt like an eternity, she backed up enough to give me room to breathe comfortably and smiled—almost genuinely. My mind was filled with complex questions as I stared at the unnatural curve formed from her lips. She pulled out her right hand and held it in front of me, waiting for me to take it for a handshake. A part of me screamed that she was scheming something like she always did, but my manners wouldn’t let me deny a handshake so I extended my right hand and shook hers hesitantly.

            “From now on, let’s be friends.” She smiled at me. My mind couldn’t comprehend her impossible words. Ham Eunjung wants to be friends with me?!

A/N: Sorry I haven't updated in like over a week. (BTW I didn't edit this chapter yet haha) School is seriously drowning me. All my teachers are rushing so much work into the first report card I didn't even have time to breathe! I found some time today (Because I skipped Korean class) to write a chapter so I hope it didn't disappoint. ^^ Thanks for the patience you all! I really appreciate it. Drop a comment below? (:

Suzy makes her first appearance! And Eunjung is back. o:! suspicious? hehe.