Chapter 10: Just for Fun

Dare to Desire

We all have our own life to pursue, our own kind of dream to be weaving. And we all have some power to make wishes come true, as long as we keep believing.

ミ★~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~★彡

Wooyoung’s POV

            I paced around in a small circle on the theatre’s stage, relishing the possible last time that I will ever be able to stand on this very one as I waited for Jieun to come meet me here like she promised. The last time she texted me she was on her way to her dad’s car so she should be here any minute now. Silently I hoped that she wouldn’t bring her dad into the theatre either. I stopped my repetitive pacing before I made a rut in the flooring and stared out into the seats of my non-existent audience. Why did life feel different whenever I was up on stage? Remembering the countless times that I’ve performed as a male lead standing at this very spot, I smiled to myself at how much my acting had improved since freshmen year. I heard footsteps from outside getting louder as they approached the door, speedy and rough footsteps, making me eye the door with curiosity. As expected, Jieun dashed right through, carelessly hitting the funny bone on her elbow against one of the door knobs as she did.

            “Kwaenchanah?” I gasped, rushing to her side while she rubbed her left elbow. She nodded at me and her cheeks flushed bright red. Jokingly I teased,

            “Were you so excited to see me that you were too clumsy to keep your elbow in check?” Laughing sarcastically, she lightly thumped my forehead and then looked out the door with a relieved sigh. Her dad must’ve decided to sit in the gym and wait after all. Without thinking I grabbed a hold of her right hand with my left and dragged her up onto the stage. This would be the last time either of us would stand on this very stage, and I wanted to remember every cherished moment she had and every lesson she’d learnt here. We were standing side by side with our eyes closed, but I never let go of her hand, and she never made an effort to pull her hand away. After taking one deep breath I opened my eyes without her knowing and stared at her peaceful face, cheeks rosy with a satisfied smile adorned. Her embarrassed blush matched her face more than make-up could and her face radiated the kind of natural beauty that I imagined even celebrities like 2NE1 and SNSD would die for. It was only recently that she had switched from thick framed glasses to contacts. I moved my eyes away from her face and stared back out into the seats, trying to cherish this picture perfect moment with me in a black and white suit with a blue tie to match her stunning white dress accompanied with baby blue ribbons. It was only now that I realized how similar our hair color was, making us appear even more so as a picture perfect couple; unfortunately there was no photographer around.

            “Shall we go see Ms. Kim now?” I asked, causing Jieun to open her eyes. She turned to me and nodded, giving one last glance to the stage around us. Smiling with her hand still in mine, I led her down the stage and towards the gym, doors decorated with sparkling silver tinsel.

Jieun’s POV

            Was Wooyoung aware that he was still holding my hand? His gesture gave me a comforting feeling, a sense of warmth that made my whole being feel purely happy. This small school theatre was not just a room; it was a mini universe that allowed us all to dream big dreams. It gave us opportunities to soar higher and be pulled back up when we fell. To me, the theatre room was a birthplace for my imagination and tonight I would have to leave everything behind and move on. Smiling at Wooyoung as he held my hands, leading me towards the theatre doors, I shot one last desperate glance at the stage, thanking it in my mind for showing me that I wasn’t a wilting plant but a blooming flower at the year-end musical. What I learned from that was that I was only as ready as I believed myself to be. I was so lost in my thoughts that I never noticed when we had entered the gym until Wooyoung let go of my hand. Glancing at him, and then at the person in front of us I gasped and bowed politely for not noticing her presence.

            “Jieun! You look beautiful tonight,” Ms. Kim complimented with an excited squeal, pulling gently on a few curly strands of my hair and letting them bounce back to their original positions against my shoulder. I was glad that she didn't make some witty remark about how Wooyoung and I were matching so perfectly tonight. Adults really did have strange impulses to play with younger people’s hair.

            “Gomawoyo,” I smiled, still feeling like I was living in a fantasy. I scanned the rest of the gym for the table my dad sat at; surprisingly our table was near centre. He would get a perfect view of Wooyoung and I tonight, and after our dazzling performance he will shoot my head off. Cringing unknowingly, my shoulders eased when Wooyoung placed a comforting hand on them. He followed my stare to my dad, oblivious to us in the corner of the gym and sighed. We stood with Ms. Kim by the gym doors as our school principal took the microphone propped in the centre of the gym, tapping it a few times with a cough to get everyone’s attention.

            “Good evening honoured guests, ladies and gentlemen and the graduating class of 2011. A wise person once said that if a dream becomes everyone’s dream, it has a possibility of becoming reality. Over the course of this year, our school has been encouraging students to find their dreams and pursue them, letting them realize that obstacles stand in the way of their ambition only to show them how much they really want to achieve something. Not only were we educating students in their academics, but we wanted to train them to become lifelong dreamers, utilizing the power of change that their imaginations hold.” Her stern voice was unshaken as she read through her speech without so much as a cheat sheet to assist her memory. Her eyes fell upon every table, every being in the room as if she was implanting inspiration in our hearts, smiling occasionally after every breath. I leaned slightly against Wooyoung, my head resting gently against the side of his arm as I watched our principal speak. A hand brushed the air in front of my face in an up and down motion, making me blink and turn to the owner of the hand. Ms. Kim urged for us to follow her, whispering that we were to sing after the speech. The two of us walked side by side behind Ms. Kim until we were behind the principal. The moment she placed the microphone back on the stand, the MC of the night jumped up from the table beside and introduced the two of us.

            “Now, two talented members of our school’s prestigious musical theatre club will perform a duet as a graduation treat. Please welcome Jang Wooyoung and Lee Jieun, performing an original song composed by Lee Jieun titled Maybe.” His voice matched that of a talk show host, and he handed both Wooyoung and I a microphone before we inched towards the very centre of the small circle in the gym. I took a glance at my father, holding my mom’s shoulders as his eyes flared with some hidden discomfort. My mother however did not notice how tensed he was, but clapped excitedly like a seal in her chair so rapidly that I could imagine her laughing like one too. Smiling at her and avoiding my dad’s fierce eyes, I took a deep breath and brought the microphone near my lips. Wooyoung’s right hand held onto my left firmly, squeezing it once to silently let me know he was with me and I didn’t have to worry about anything. When the music began playing, Wooyoung’s soothing voice filled the air; his notes were flawless from the countless practicing we had after school up until this point. Immediately after the first verse everybody in the gym began swaying to the song like waves in a vast ocean. I gulped silently once, counting the seconds until it was my turn to join in and when the music signaled for me to, the lyrics flowed from my mouth as if by instinct.

            “Maybe it is true…” Also on impulse, I turned to see Wooyoung had been stealing glances of me the whole time while I was nervously gazing around the gym. When the song ended, the gym became completely silent. There was no more swaying, no clapping; it was so quiet that even in this large gymnasium you could hear a pin fall to the floor. It was as if time froze and the only ones that were unaffected were Wooyoung and I, staring confusedly at each other at why there was no sound. Suddenly, the entire room began roaring with applauses. It was a late but exciting finish to our final performance in this school. Ms. Kim whispered for us to take a bow and head back to our seats. After doing so, I immediately left Wooyoung and ran into my mom’s embrace. When she stopped hugging me and looked up, I gasped, realizing that Wooyoung was sitting right beside me at the same table. Whose idea was this? I glanced at Ms. Kim who was silently laughing, watching the two of us and giving me a ‘thumbs up’. With my fingers I combed through my straight bangs and coughed, excusing myself from the table. I didn’t feel comfortable being with my dad right now. I left through the opposite set of doors that I came in through and headed straight towards the largest set of windows in my school. Looking out and seeing all the cars parked in the parking lot and all the balloons that strayed from where they were taped, I sighed. My right hand rose up to touch the glass, slightly filthy with dust and other dirt residue you'd normally see on neglected windows. My index finger trailed a horizontal line to a section of the window that caught my attention. Someone had written something on the window. Squinting, I glanced at the messy print, interpreting the characters to spell ‘화이팅(Hwaiting)’. Smiling to myself, I brushed my palm over the three characters when I felt someone creep up behind me. Turning suddenly, I gave out a relieved sigh to see that it was Wooyoung and not my father.

Wooyoung’s POV

            My parents applauded me and gave me a pat on the shoulder when I took a seat beside Jieun who didn’t notice I was there. My gaze met with her father’s once again, and I could feel the red hot hatred radiating from him. Jieun could feel it too, and in response, she left the gym. Her mother was shocked and confused, but even more so when I too excused myself. I followed Jieun closely but quietly like a professional stalker minus the hiding behind random objects and stopped at the corner of the hallway. She stood close to the window, fiddling with her fingers against the glass. Without making a sound, I walked up behind her but had no intention to play a prank and poke her like I usually would. She seemed really disturbed after seeing her father; that much I knew for certain.

            “You’re missing out on the other speeches right now,” I mentioned, sitting on the bench beside the window. She sat down beside me after I did and sighed,

            “I know.” Her voice was quiet and weak, but I didn’t want to be too nosey and ask her personally. Suddenly, she tensed up and looked directly into my eyes.

            “Wooyoung oppa, can I ask you something?” Her sudden question made me curious but also slightly scared. Why did she need to ask if she could say something if it wasn’t going to hurt me in some way? My eyes locked on a husky figure heading down the hallway, stopping at the same corner I did and watching us; it was her dad. He was in perfect hearing distance, but Jieun’s eyes were locked on me so she never noticed. Turning my gaze back to her before she could follow mine, I replied,

            “Of course.” After hearing my response, her eyes fell to the floor, looking as if all the energy in her body had been drained out. Her hands were intertwined together as if she were praying, but her eyes were open and her thumbs were making circular motions around each other. This was something I used to do back in elementary when I felt nervous.

            “Why did you choose to hang around me after the year-end musical?” her question was quiet but crystal clear to my ears. I knew exactly what answer she wanted to hear, but it was far too early for me to say something so profound.

            “Because it’s fun,” I replied straight forward and slightly blunt. Wasn’t this my response to everything? It wasn’t necessarily a lie either, because being around her was probably more fun and intriguing than anyone else in this school.

Jieun’s POV

            My heart froze after I asked the question, praying that he would say the words I wished to hear the most—those three simple words that were more complex in meaning than text.

            “Because it’s fun,” he answered hesitantly but clear. My heart sank figuratively so hard that it probably dropped past my rib cage onto my diaphragm, but something like that wasn’t physically possible at the moment. So that was it; I was just fun to be around, but he didn’t feel anything for me? I wanted to beat myself for letting my emotions go a little too out of control, but at least I knew for sure he wasn’t a player like my dad assumed. If he were, he would’ve just led me on and broke my heart after. Brushing my bangs out of my face again, I stared up at him and smiled confidently.

            “Thanks,” I managed to force out. He smiled back and opened his mouth to speak but before he could, my father’s loud voice rang down the hallway.

            “Lee Jieun, explain now!”

A/N: Hope this chapter didn't disappoint! It was really fun for me to write, so I hope everyone has fun reading it as well ^^! BTW I have nothing against 2NE1 or SNSD, I just added them in for emphasis. I love SNSD and IU!

"If a dream becomes everyone's dream, it has a possibility of becoming reality."

- Kang Oh Hyuk Dream High Episode 14