Chapter 29: Defining Moment

Dare to Desire

Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of your goal - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek.

ミ★~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~★彡

Wooyoung’s POV

            Two months passed faster than anyone could have ever expected. In the past months there weren’t particularly much on my mind; the only thing I worried about was the audition. The only thing I did was practice, eat and sleep, and the only person I had in mind each time I sang my audition piece was Jieun. My right hand pressed on my stomach where the tag with my designated number stuck to my suit vest. The last time I wore something so formal was probably my high school graduation. In front of me stood Suzy and Taecyeon who both cut in front of me in the line-up. We were standing backstage watching the auditions through a small screened old fashioned television with poor sound quality. I eyed the line-up, counting the heads before me.

            “Yah Taecyeon, you’re next. Are you ready?” Suzy asked, trying to get a glimpse of the judges through the crack in the curtain.

            “Hope so,” Taecyeon replied with a gulp, pulling up his hood and wiping the dust off his shoes. Suzy abruptly smacked him on the head

            “What the hell?” Taecyeon glared. She folded her arms and raised her chin ordering,

            “Be more confident, will you? If you don’t even think what you’re doing is worth the judges’ time then why bother?”

            “Don’t worry about me.” Taecyeon smirked, patting Suzy on the head before following one of the coordinators to the front of the stage. We turned our heads to the television screen as Taecyeon made his appearance. Among the judges was JYP himself.

ミ★~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~★彡

            “102 beon, Bae Suji,” The coordinator called out Suzy’s name in Korean, leading her next onto the stage. I took two steps forward, trying to keep my legs from turning into jelly before my audition. Thankfully I would be sitting because I requested for the use of a piano.

            “Annyeonghaseyo,” Suzy’s voice sounded shaky through the television but in reality I knew she wasn’t shaken by this. She did a polite ninety degree bow and then introduced,

            “Bae Suzy imnida. “ The judges shifted in their seats and then picked up their pens, signaling for the music to begin. Suzy closed her eyes and swayed slightly to the sound of the music, and when it was her turn; she lifted the microphone to her lips and sang.

            “Nan, nan gumi isseoyo, nan gumi mideoyo,” Her sweet voice filled the entire auditorium as well as backstage. Even with the poor sound quality no one needed a genius to tell them she sounded flawless. When the music stopped, her hands dropped back to her side and she bowed again.

            “Before you leave, there’s something I’m curious about.” JYP voiced before Suzy could walk off stage. Returning the microphone to she answered,

            “Ne?”

            “In your song you said that you have a dream and you believe in that dream, am I correct?” He leaned forward in his seat and smiled at her.

            “Ah… Ne.” Suzy looked more nervous now. She was the first to be stopped for a short commentary thus far from the judges since all performers were to be notified after the audition via telephone or e-mail.

            “Is that true?” JYP asked, raising an eyebrow. The camera zoomed in on Suzy’s face and I could see she was nervously biting her lip. After thinking for a few more seconds she nodded,

            “Yes. I have a dream.”

            “Alright, thank you Suzy.” JYP leaned back on his chair and Suzy left the stage, confused but satisfied.

            “103 beon, Jang Wooyoung,” The coordinator called, snapping me back to my senses. I looked up at her smiling face and raised my hand. She nodded at me then signaleld for me to follow her. As I passed the dark red curtains I saw the black grand piano that sat at the centre of the stage with a microphone stand propped beside it.

            “This is it.”I breathed in, walking with perfect posture to the piano and then taking a seat.

            “Please start.” JYP smiled, spinning a pen in his right hand. I nodded to him and began playing the song. This was a defining moment in my life and I couldn’t afford to mess up. Pressure was piled on me up to my shoulders but still, I have to do this and I have to succeed. I spent the past two months practicing this song; I knew the piano part by heart and didn’t even bother to bring in a music sheet. I knew the lyrics like the back of my hand, I had everything on beat. As I sang the chorus I thought of Jieun’s smiling face and imagined what she would look like if she were here watching me from the audience right now. Would she think ‘Wow, look at how much Wooyoung has changed’? Would she say that I was cool? They were all estimate answers, but I couldn’t wait to see the look on her face when I finally see her again. Sitting here at the piano, singing a song with the most heart I’ve ever put into it made me really believe that at this point in my life, who in the world would be bold enough to look down on me or pity me? Everything was going right on track, and it seemed like my path in life was as clear as a summer morning. The moment my hands left the piano keys, the audience roared with applause. I stood up and bowed humbly, leaving JYP at his judge’s seat jaw-dropped and the entire crowd standing and cheering loudly.

            “That was amazing!” Taecyeon greeted me the moment I returned backstage with a strong pat on the shoulder, sending me tumbling forwards. Even after the performance I felt like my legs were jelly.

            “When do you think we’ll get the results?” I asked Taecyeon who shrugged in response. The coordinator who brought us to the stage popped out of nowhere and pointed at a small banner hung on the far left wall.

            “I guess we’ll know by tomorrow.” I smiled, giving Taecyeon another triumphant high five. I’ve never had such high hopes for anything I did before.

            “This time I’ll treat you all to dinner. Someone go call up Donghae.” Taecyeon declared, throwing me his cell phone and then marching out the building. Suzy followed after him as I browsed through his phone for Donghae’s number.

ミ★~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~★彡

            “Hell to the yes!” Taecyeon screamed, waking me up from my weekly Sunday of sleeping in. I groaned, rolling off my bed and onto the floor. The impact finished the job of waking me up and I sat straight, rubbing my eyes with a yawn.

            “Why so loud in the morning?” I demanded, pushing Taecyeon aside to stare at the laptop screen.

            “Oh my god!” I gasped; scanning the same page a hundred times over to make sure what I saw wasn’t just a hallucination. Taecyeon eyed me with his mischievous stare and began his jumping episode around the dorm until Donghae chucked a pillow at his head.

            “We’re in?!” I asked, shaking Taecyeon uncontrollably and then doing a victorious fist pump.

            “Suzy got in too!” Taecyeon cheered, shoving his cell phone in my face. The text message was from Suzy.

            “Yah, guys, I’m happy for you and all but let me sleep!” Donghae scolded making the two of us quiet down. I returned to the laptop and scrolled down the e-mail to read more.

            “It looks like we’re going back to Korea in a week.” I grinned, glancing back at Donghae whose arms hung over the side of his bed. He deserved a dorm all to himself anyway. I slapped on a light sweater and ran outside for some fresh air, bringing along my cell phone. My parents would probably be even happier about the news. I leaned against the side of an outdoor pillar and held the phone to my ears, listening to the repetitive ringing until my mom’s voice spoke.

Wooyoung’s Mom’s POV

            “Wooyoungui eomma, your phone is ringing!” Jieun’s mom informed, pointing at my vibrating cell phone on the kitchen counter. I quickly got up and answered the call, surprised to hear my son’s voice.

            “Wooyoung-ah?” I smiled, nodding to Jieun’s mom to waved back as I headed to the porch.

            “Eomeoni, how have you been?” He asked politely. I leanded against the wooden fencing of the porch and brushed my curled bangs back over my head and out of my eyes.

            “Just fine, dear. How about you?” I asked, curious about how my only son had been striving in another country. In the back of my mind I always regretted letting him go, and if I could ever replay the moment he asked to leave I would have forbid it but it was too late for that. As a mom I could now only support whatever he chose to do.

            “I have something to tell you!” He began excitedly. I turned to lean against the wooden fence so that the wind would blow in the direction I wanted my hair to go. Through the glass window I could see Jieun’s mom patiently sipping her tea.

            “What is it?”

            “I’m coming back to Korea in a week.”

            “Omo; really?!” I beamed, my face lighting up like fireworks. I missed my son al,most to the brink of insanity! I was far too excited to think of words to say. After a long pause he asked,

            “Eomeoni?”

            “Ne, I’m here. That’s great, Wooyoung-ah!” I heard his soft chuckle through the phone and then he explained,

            “I have to go now. Taecyeon and I are going to go see some friends so I’ll see you in one week.” When he hung up, the first thing I did was take a deep breath and then pinch myself. I wasn’t dreaming, was I? I winced at my pinch and nodded; I wasn’t dreaming.

            “Jieunui Eomma!” I called from the back porch as I re-entered my house. Jieun’s mom turned to face me with a confused and curious expression. I returned her stare with a delighted smile and took a seat, placing my cell phone on the table.

            “Wooyoung is returning to Korea next week.” I confessed, watching her confused face turn excited.

            “Omo; should I tell Jieun? She will be so happy!” She dug through her purse for her cell phone but I stopped her, shaking my head.

            “This is something we should let our children solve on their own. Wooyoung will go see her when he is ready.” I smiled, pulling my hand back and then taking a sip of my cup of tea.

            “I’m so relieved, Wooyoungui Eomma. Jieun’s been seeing a wealthy man’s son for over two months and it’s driving me crazy.” Jieun’s mom sighed, placing a frustrated hand on her wrinkled forehead. I watched her apologetically, unsure of what to say. In my mind I wanted to tell Wooyoung to hurry up and return quicker to steal Jieun back. If a match made in heaven were real, then the only example I had to show for it was Wooyoung and Jieun. I never saw them together often because I was busy, but the short moments that I saw them together were enough for me to believe this. Seeing the protective way Wooyoung would eye Jieun as she spoke or sang made me believe that my troublesome son was finally growing up and maturing. To see him be with a girl as pure and kind as Jieun would relieve my heart greatly. Thinking about them made me start to tear up unwillingly, but as a parent, there was nothing happier in life than to see my child truly happy. 

A/N: Sorry this chapter is kind of boring (in my opinion) but I hope you guys enjoyed it anyway? Haha xD! i'm still stressing out about my exams next week so it's hard for me to find a writing mood right now. :\! Good nes is Wooyoung's going back to Korea! Yay!! :D