Chapter 42: Winter Child

Dare to Desire

 

Life has no smooth road for any of us; and in the bracing atmosphere of a high aim the very roughness stimulates the climber to steadier steps, till the legend, over steep ways to the stars, fulfills itself.

ミ★~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~★彡

 

Taecyeon’s POV

            Hearing the conversation between Wooyoung and JYP made me undeniably jealous. Not only did Wooyoung get to keep and publicize his girlfriend, but he got a personal recommendation from a high school teacher. I’ve been that kid’s friend for years and I never knew he had so much luck in him. Hearing all this made me regret not joining musical theatre, though acting really wasn’t my thing. Our dance coach in high school barely gave a crap about any of us anyway. Our club only stayed alive because of all the potential b-boys transferring to our ‘arts’ high school. When Wooyoung revealed Jieun’s status to all of us, I was stunned that JYP didn’t even get mad the slightest. The rest of us were shocked but happy for him except Changsung who quietly sulked in his corner with a basketful of bananas. We bumped into our SHINee hyungs quite a few times after our performances and had the pleasure of eating lunch with them. Their leader Onew is known probably nationally for his love of chicken, but to us who know Changsung extremely well, bananas to him is like chicken to Onew hyung. After our dinner I decided to try my own luck with JYP and swore that I would ask Suzy out after she recorded Bad Girl Good Girl with the rest of Miss A. Their debut was coming up in a few months and there were still parts of their dance they needed to work on, but from what I hear their singing is nearly perfected.

 

            I casually leaned against the wall across from the recording studio where Miss A sang. The door was opened slightly so I could hear their voices clearly, including all the repeating that they were asked to do. I was surprised Suzy’s patience could stand how demanding the staff in the recording studio were, but since this was her career she had to start being respectful to her elders to some extent. When I heard the ending of their song my mind grew excited. Not once did I think of the possibility of getting rejected; I was far too optimistic for that. One by one they exited the room. I nodded at Jia, Fei and Min as they passed, barely paying any attention to me. The three of them had something against me. Either that or Suzy’s coldness was just rubbing off on them. Suzy was last to leave the room and I expected her to greet me properly but instead, she walked right past not even noticing my existence. That was so typical of her.

            “Yah Suzy, wait,” I called after her, taking small steps to catch up. She turned around and stared at me before answering,

            “Oh, you were waiting? I didn’t see you.” She boldly admitted—or lied—and then turned to face me completely. My jaws dropped at her response. I was right at the door, there was no way she could miss me. I sighed,

            “Aish you ignorant—“

            “What did you call me?” She interrupted; her accusing eyes looked up at me. My body froze immediately and my mind ran out of things to say. I almost forgot the reason why I was here in the first place. She waited a few more seconds before declaring,

            “Alright if you have nothing to say I’m going to leave.” She pulled out a set of earphones and plugged one into each ear and began walking away, not looking back. I stared after her, barely able to believe how ignorant she was being. Actually, she was always like this—I should’ve expected it. Secretly, I knew her earphones weren’t connected to any music player.

           “Suzy wait!” I called after her who was now about ten metres away. She ignored me and continued walking.

            “Kajima, Suzy!” I screamed louder. Did she think this was fun? I knew she could hear me, after all, I didn’t remember her ever owning a music player. When we were younger I taught her to use unplugged earphones whenever she didn’t want to hear. Sighing and knowing how stubborn she was, I ran after her, grabbing onto the wire that trailed into her pocket and pulled it out.

            “What the hell, Taecyeon?” Suzy glared, her iTouch hanging from her earphones almost touching the floor. I had no idea she even owned one. She reeled her iTouch back up as if she was fishing and shoved it back into her pocket, pulling out both the earphones.

            “Since when did you get an iTouch?” I asked dumbfounded. She rolled her eyes at me and answered,

            “It’s an early Christmas present from Miss A’s future manager. She gave each of us one.” I was jealous that our manager never got us anything for Christmas. Then again, Christmas was a week from now.

            “Cool, what were you listening to?” I asked, impulsively pulling her iTouch from her pocket and clicking her music library only to find that there were no songs in it yet. So in reality she actually wasn’t listening to anything. I smirked.

            “Give it back.” She ordered, snatching it from my hands.

            “What do you want?” She asked coldly, a common question whenever I talked to her. I remembered why I waited three hours for her to finish recording and the necklace I had in my jacket pocket.

            “I have a question.” I answered, waiting a few seconds to build suspense. What I knew more than anything was that she hated beating around the bush.

            “Will you…” I began nervously, watching her gaze carefully. I paused after the first two words, formulating possible scenarios that would follow, most resulting in me getting hurt—physically.

            “No.” She answered before waiting for me to finish and then she walked away, fitting the earphones snugly back in each ear. I grabbed her shoulder, turning her around before she could leave. Soon after I realized it was a wrong move because she was eyeing me with the most pissed expressing I’ve seen in weeks.

            “No I will not help you beg your parents for your motorcycle back again.” She finished, pushing my hand off her shoulder as she marched off again. I stared back at her confused. I had only asked her to do that for me once… or twice… or maybe a few times under ten for sure. I slapped my forehead, realizing how stupid I am and chased after her again, appearing in front of her face and blocking her from walking further.

            “Will you go out with me?” I asked bluntly. Her gaze softened and mixed with confusion. I swear I could see a smile forming on her face that she tried to hold back.

“I have a gift,” I remembered the necklace in my pocket and began digging through my jacket for the small box, but I couldn’t find it. I became frantic, digging repeatedly through the same pockets. She stared at me losing her patience and began walking away.

“Wait Suzy! You’ll still be my girlfriend right?” I asked, still searching my jacket. I could hear her chuckling as she yelled back,

“No.” Giving up on the necklace after I remembered leaving it in the dance room, I followed after her asking,

“Please Suzy?” It seemed like my pleading was amusing to her. She was now laughing excessively, unable to hide it yet she still persisted with the same answer.

“Oh come on, you’re smiling!” I begged, stopping her again. Her smile was strangely beautiful yet fitting opposed to her daily frowning.

“Fine,” She gave in and I smiled, feeling like the greatest person in the world. There’s no way JYP would disapprove. I saw Suzy’s smiling face change into one of shock and I turned to see JYP standing a few metres away from us with Wooyoung beside. Immediately, he initiated a face palm and sighed. Wooyoung was chuckling but the moment he met Suzy’s death glare he looked away and whistled innocently.

“Look what you did you rascal! You started a trend!” JYP groaned, nudging Wooyoung on the head.

“You’re going to allow this right?” I asked to reassure, my hands clasped together as if I were praying and I gave the biggest puppy eyes I was capable of. Sighing he said,

“Fine fine, there’s no being biased with you boys.” I nearly jumped to the ceiling with excitement, fist pumping and then tackling Wooyoung to the ground.

“Oh right, I have to let you boys know about the JYP Nation Christmas celebration next week. Not only is it a celebration for Christmas, but it’s a celebration for your birthday.” He informed, handing us each an amateur pamphlet that was made in a rush. We browsed through the pages, all equally excited for the coming week.

ミ★~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~★彡

At the Christmas celebration, many fans were invited to join JYP Nation in celebration of the festive season as well as my birthday. I was showered with gifts from fans that filled our band’s van, but before we wrapped up JYP announced one more special surprise performance for me. Everyone ushered me to the front and centre, a few members from 2PM supportively joined me. The lights dimmed and when the pink and violet lights came on, Suzy stood alone on the stage in a beautiful light pink dress, her hair braided neatly to one side with a microphone in her right hand.

“Saengilchukhahae, Taecyeon-ah,” She spoke into the microphone, and immediately soft music began playing. It felt like a winter dream come true, and white confetti fell from the stage as if she were lost I a snow globe. Her eyes twinkles in the lighting as she sang a winter birthday song titled “Winter Child”. In the middle of her singing, the members pushed me up onto the stage beside her. Confused and nervous, I just stood motionless, lost in a trance that her voice sent me to. Not knowing what to do, I just stared into her eyes as her voice filled my mind and my memories. I marked this the best day of my life.

A/N: This is the last update for tonight. I swear this is the most I've ever written in a year haha. I hope you all enjoyed today's mass update. This chapter is more of a Taeczy comic relief than anything. My next rush of updates will mark the end of this fanfic. Thank you all you wonderful people for supporting/reading and accompanying me in this Milky Couple Adventure!