Chapter 23: Overwhelmed by Worry

Dare to Desire

 

Every moment of your life that is not a complete nightmare is happiness.

★~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~★

Jieun’s POV

           Kikwang was friendlier than I expected and soon enough I found myself talking to him carelessly and openly. His eyes never ceased to look amused no matter what I said or how I said it, and his smile never dissolved the whole forty-five minutes left of class since I first spoke to him. Still to me, it was too soon to call him a friend, especially since Wooyoung took three times as long as Kikwang to get me to talk casually.

            “What class do you have next?” Kikwang pondered, resting his chin on the surface of my desk, fumbling with a rectangular eraser in his right hand. I pulled my folded time table from my messenger bag and scanned down my class list until I found period 2.

            “Dance…” I mumbled, wondering why I chose a dance course in the first place. I was born uncoordinated and I had no shred of doubt that I would make a mockery of myself today.

            “Room 403?” Kikwang beamed, sitting up straight now with an excited smile. I nodded, trying to figure out how he knew my room number and wondered if he really was a stalker until I realized something.

            “You have dance next too?” I gasped, my world falling down on me when he smiled and nodded. I definitely did not want to embarrass myself in front of him, but what choices did I have? Dancing and I are like peanut butter and ham—we don’t go together.

            “Class is over now; mind if we walk to dance together?” Kikwang stood up and grinned, holding out a hand in front of me. I stared at his hand in front of my face in awe; was he expecting me to hold hands with him down the hallway? Pushing the thought aside, I ignored his hand and grabbed my messenger bag, strapping it around my shoulder and made my way to the door. Before walking out, I turned back to glance at Kikwang.

            “Aren’t you coming?” I asked with one hand on the door knob. He made a 180 degree turn and cheerfully joined me at the door. The whole time we walked down the hallway, I could sense the amount of effort Kikwang put in his well-thought out humorous words. I couldn’t remember the last time I laughed so much in a day, and the day wasn’t even half over!

            “401… 402… ah, here,” Kikwang nodded to himself, staring at the sign in front of a door that read ‘Room 403: Dance Studio’ and pushed it, holding it open by leaning against it for me to walk through. I was flattered by how gentleman-like he was acting and fought the urge to blush. I definitely did not want Kikwang to think I was infatuated with him, especially because there was still someone else I wanted to hold on to—someone I never expected to ever want to let go.

            “Hyung!” A boy around our age approached Kikwang who I later discovered went by the name Dongwoon greeted. He then turned to me and gave me one of those nods of acknowledgement and in return, I bowed slightly.

            “Long time no see, Dongwoon!” Kikwang smiled and messed up his hair a bit. I could sense that he had much respect for Kikwang, so much that at first I thought they were brothers. Dongwoon ventured into the middle of the dance floor and motioned for Kikwang to come with him, but before he followed he gave me an apologetic smile. Dongwoon noticed this and rushed back to us, jumping in front of me like an upbeat child and smirked,

            “By the way, I’m Dongwoon! Nice to meet you! For the next few minutes, you’ll probably want to keep an eye on Hyung.” I gave Dongwoon a confused stare and wondered why his first words to me would be to watch Kikwang closely.

            “I’m Jieun,” I introduced, holding out my right hand for a handshake. Unexpectedly, Dongwoon slapped it as a high 5 and winked at me, pointing to Kikwang who was now in the middle of the dance studio. Dongwoon scurried behind me to reach the music player and began blasting some upbeat song I recognized to be from Big Bang—the name of it I could not currently remember. I jar figuratively dropped when Kikwang began dancing, and all the other people in the room alike were far too impressed to join until Dongwoon jumped in with his outburst of sudden energy. Soon enough the whole class, all except for me were busting out their moves on the dance floor. Even the instructor of the class was having some fun. My mind had planned to just slowly slip away to the very back of the studio and sit down on the bench, slightly hidden behind a cardboard box but before my legs could move, I saw someone familiar approaching me with the same genuinely warm smile. Again, he held his hand in front of me, urging for me to take it but I shook my head. Seeing him dance so skillfully truthfully intimidated me and I didn’t have the confidence to even compare to what he could do. Kikwang came closer to me and whispered,

            “Come join everyone; it’s fun!” My knees were shaking uncontrollably and I couldn’t help but run out of the classroom. I wanted to slap my cowardice for leaving so suddenly and abruptly, but I was scared. I was scared of embarrassing myself, I was scared of getting stares from everyone, and I was scared that if Kikwang saw how bad I danced he would leave. It was stupid of me, considering how we knew each other for probably a maximum of one hour but other than Eunjung, he was my first chance at real friendship since I entered the institute. A few meters down the hallway I let out a grieved sigh and brushed my bangs back with my palm, slipping carelessly onto a wooden bench and closing my eyes with my head facing downwards.

            “Jieun? Are you okay?” Kikwang’s calm voice asked; I could feel warmth emitting from his body as he sat down beside me. Opening my eyes and placing both hands nervously cupped on my lap, I sighed again.

            “I’m just not a dancer. I’m not good at it—heck I can’t even dance for my life.” I explained frustrated, replaying the excited and invigorating smiles of everyone in the dance studio. I didn’t mind being an outcast in most situations but for some reason, this bothered me to the point I couldn’t stand it.

            “Is that all?” Kikwang’s bright smile painted reassurance in my mind as he looked into my eyes. Turning my face away, I continued,

            “The only things I know how to do are the lame couple dances that were mandatory in middle school…” I chuckled to myself to lighten the tension and sighed again.

            “I won’t say that practicing will make it perfect, because I know there’s no such thing as perfection in this world but as long as you have the willing heart to give it a try, I promise that I’ll make it fun for you.” He vowed, watching a small smile creep onto my face. I hesitantly nodded and agreed,

            “Okay then, I’ll give this a try.” We walked side by side back down the same hallway to the dance studio, and in my mind I could only imagine how many times I would trip over my own feet and face plant myself but I felt the need to trust Kikwang. Somehow, he’d make it fun for me. Just like he had promised, the rest of dance class was more fun than I thought possible. Dongwoon’s energy somehow played a part in keeping the whole class pumped, and despite how every girl in the class was going gaga over Kikwang, he only really paid attention to me. Never in my life have I felt so special, and the only person I had to thank was Kikwang—the guy I met for less than one day.

ミ★~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~★彡

            The blaring lights blinded everything in my view except for one face that inched closer towards mine as time passed. I stood frozen in time, waiting for the inevitable to happen, closing my eyes tight as I felt a warm breath penetrate my personal space.

            “Do you trust me?” His confidently smug voice asked in no louder than a whisper. My mind was as stationary as my body, and though I asked myself the same question over and over again, no answer came. Did I trust him? My eyes snapped shut and my face was tense despite the fact I knew my cheeks were a bright shade of rosy red. Without waiting for a response, he placed a strong hand on the back of my neck and pulled my closer towards him, his other hand resting protectively on my back. The large crowd to my right was cheering loudly and my heart was racing uncontrollably. After a few more seconds, I felt nothing. The moment my eyes reopened, his smooth lips made contact with mine before I could get a breath in. My eyes were wide open, my lips unwilling to move as he continued his ‘assault’. The moment he stopped, everything turned black—all the noise completely faded except for my screaming.

            “Yah, yah, Jieun-ah! Ireona! Jieun!” Eunjung’s worried voice commanded me repetitively, shaking my unsteady body back and forth as I struggled to regain consciousness. When my vision grew clear, I glanced around my room and saw that no one was here but Eunjung.

            “Kwaenchanah?” Eunjung asked, still shocked. The both of us were breathing heavily. My right hand moved up to touch the tip of my lips and I cringed.

            “Did you have a nightmare?” Eunjung asked, handing me a bottle of water and rubbing my back the way my mother used to when I felt distressed. It really helped in calming my thoughts. I remembered my dream so vividly; seeing Kikwang’s face in such great detail and so close to mine horrified me.

            “I’m okay…” I mumbled, taking a long gulp from the bottle of water. I always imagined a moment like that would feel like pure bliss, but why was I so scared? Eunjung stopped rubbing my back and smiled sympathetically at me.

            “You woke up screaming.” She informed me, shuttering at the recall of being woken up by a sound so unpleasant.

            “Mianhae…” I apologized, now breathing more evenly. I had dreamt of the play I would have to perform with Kikwang in a few weeks—Dreaming of Spring. I had no desire to lose my first kiss that day, and I wasn’t sure I would be content knowing he would be the one to steal it from me.

            “Take a while to calm down before you go back to sleep, neh?” Eunjung insisted, patting me on the shoulder before crawling back into her bed with a tired yawn. I nodded and turned back to my own mess of a bed. All the covers were kicked around and my pillows were falling off the mattress. When I stood up to organize my bedding I spotted a stuff teddy bear just barely hanging onto the side of my bed. My hand reached out to rescue it from its impending fall and brushed some invisible dust from its head. Smiling as I held it close to me, I remembered the day that Wooyoung gave it to me as a graduation present. It was the only stuffy I bothered to bring to the dorm with me, and I was more relieved than ever to have it with me now. Like a child I whispered to the bear,

            “You’ll chase bad dreams away for me, okay?” I slipped back under my blankets and hugged the bear tight, drifting off to sleep with a satisfied smile.

A/N: Hehe this chapter is all Jieun ^^! i figured I was writing too much Wooyoung for the past chapters so I had many ideas for Jieun's side. A lot of you don't want this fanfic to end soon so there's going to have to be a lot of drama for this to be exciting. I still promise WooU will come back (afterall this is a WooU fic) so don't stop supporting me? ^^! I barely have time to write let alone edit my chapters so I guess i'll just edit everything when summer comes :D Until then i'll just update once in a while so  can still stay on track with school.