Here For Good

My Life As A...Daddy?!

 Yup, I was going to die right here today. I'll be going up to heaven with mum. And it’s all because of a little thing that appeared at my doorstep.

Seconds tick by as he and I stared at each other doing nothing. Just then, the baby started sniffing. Dad stood up and walked towards it and picked it up, laying its head on his shoulder. She stopped and closed her eyes.

"Jaesoon, what’s going on?"He asked softly.

Uh-oh...he only use my name when I’m in deep, deep trouble.

Like that one time I accidentally broke his favorite vase and ruined his drawing and broke my brother's arm.

"I found the baby at th-"I began.

"You already said that." he interrupted. "Whose baby is this?"

Silence.

"Jaesoon, I asked you a question."

"She...I mean, the letter said that it was my...daughter. And I’m the dad."

There was that killer silence again as dad stared at me.

"You stupid, stupid, stupid son of a b-"he stopped abruptly and looked at the baby.

"How could you do such a thing? All those time when I teached you about this things, are you not listening? Were you trying to go against me? Were you drunk?" he asked through gritted teeth.

"I did dad. But it...I don’t know how it happened. And I wasn’t drunk. I don’t drink. Yet" I explained.

Maybe that was a lie. I go to the clubs almost as much as I could.

"You-" his voice raised but he kept quiet again.

 He sighed, shaking his head. He looked at the baby. "Are you sure you're the dad?" he asked.

I nodded my head, then shook it, then nodded again, then shrugged.

"What does that mean?"He asked.

"I don’t know. I can’t trust that letter. I'm going to do a DNA check." I answered.

“And who’s the mum?”

I shrugged again. “She just left her here. I don’t even know if it’s a prank or not.”

"Well, it's probably true, she looks like you." my dad said and gave a faint smile.

I looked at him, deciding whether to ask him the question or not. He saw it and asked me.

"Is there something you want to ask?"

"Does that mean I’m forgiven and you wouldn’t punish me?"I asked with a hopeful smile.

He just narrowed his eyes and gave me his famous deathly dad glare. Well, I knew the answer clearly.

Just then, my brother burst into the room.

"You have a daughter?! This is so cool! Does that mean I’m an uncle and I have a niece?" he blabbered.

I scowled and asked him to shut up.

“I thought I told you to go upstairs. And watch your words. A baby's here. So from now onwards, no bad words or anything that may ruin her future. Or I’ll cut your allowance."

My eyes widen in shock.

"You know she's not staying here forever right dad?"

"What do you mean? Of course she is. You're her dad and that makes her part of the family. “He said happily.

I didn’t know babies made him so happy. If i knew it earlier, i could have had a baby sooner and got away with everything.

"Can I hold her?" Jaehyun asked in excitement.

My dad hesitated but then nodded his head.

"Sit down first." he ordered and Jaehyun hurried to the sofa.

"I’m ready. “He grinned happily.

"Why are you acting like a 5 year old?"

"None of your business."

I was about to tell him that she was actually mine but decided not to.

"Are you sure you're okay with holding her?"My dad asked.

"Of course I am dad! What do you treat me as? A five year old?" he said impatiently.

Me and my dad exchanged glances.

"Just hurry and give her to me. “He said and held out his arm.

Dad carefully placed the baby in his arms and Jaehyun cradled it. He was looking at it like it’s the most beautiful thing in the world.

"She’s the most beautiful thing in the world. “He said. "Hi there Soomin! I'm your uncle! You can call me uncle Jaehyun!"He grinned at her. She looked up at him and broke into a smile.

“Did you see that? She smiled at me! Well, you must have gotten your good looks from your mum because it definitely did not come from your dad!"He said cheerfully.

"You’re my brother. What does that make you?" I asked.

"Good looks bypassed you and waited for me to born. “He simply said and went back to play with her.

That nerve of him.

"Well, you should rest soon. Both of you. You guys have school tomorrow. “My dad told us.

And it struck me like a bolt of lightning.

"Dad, who's going to take care of her when we're gone? I mean, we both have to go to school and you have to go to work." I told him.

"So now you're worried about her?" my dad asked, hiding his smirk.

"Well, yeah. We could put her in for foster care." I said hopefully.

Maybe like that, she'll be gone from my life and I’ll just treat this like it never happened! Im a genius!

My dad's smirk faded away.

"You wish. We'll just bring her to grandma and she'll take care of her. You know how much grandma loves babies."

"But her house is too far." I argued

"It’s just a fifteen minutes ride to her house. There's even a shortcut to her house if you're walking." my dad argued back.

Well, there’s nothing I can say about that. That just means that everything is planned out and I have to follow what my dad says...for now.

Well, my dad was so excited that we had a child at our house; he went out that minute and came back with a big load. He brought everything the baby needs, from a pacifier to baby books. Well, he spent a lot but he said it was nothing to him. How bias.

"So where is she going to sleep at?"Jaehyun asked.

"Of course with dad." I replied rolling my eyes. I caught my dad looking at me. “What? Am I wrong?"

"She’s not sleeping with me. She's sleeping with you."

"Oh okay...wait...what?!" I shouted, realizing what he had just said.

"She must. You're her dad. It’s your responsibility. “He said. “Well, it’s time to bring her to sleep. I just bathed her so you don’t have to worry about it. “My father said and got up.

"Where are you going?"

"To sleep?"

"And leave me alone with her?"I exclaimed, pointing at the thing playing around with her toys.

"Sure. Why not. Goodnight son. “He said, giving me a knowing smile and left.

I looked towards my brother for help.

"I have to go to sleep too. I have school tomorrow. “He said and hurried up to his room.

"Yah! I also have school!"I shouted.

I turned back to look at Soomin while she looked back at me. She gave me a smile and I felt something weird surge inside me but who cares.

"Come on Soomin. It’s time to go to sleep." I told her and stood before her. She raised her hand.

"What?" I asked.

She's not expecting me to carry her right?

"Eungh...eungh..."

I bent down, going to carry her up when i brought back my hands. I can't do it! I can’t carry this thing! Just then, I caught sight of a blanket and got an idea. I took it and placed it in front of her.

"Climb on it." I told her but she just stared up at me blankly. I motioned my hand for her to get on and she started moving, actually crawling, onto the blanket and once she's fully on it, i picked up all four sides.

"Hold on tight okay." I told her and heaved the blanket up with her.

As I walked upstairs, the blanket swung around and I could hear her giggling. When I reached the top, I placed her inside her cot which was in front of my bed and left her there to sleep by herself and I went to bed too. And I swear, I was so tired that when my head hit the pillows, I fell into a deep sleep........until......something woke me up.

Her cries were just like my alarm clock, except louder and it could never stop since there was no snooze button.

"Stop crying Soomin." I groaned as I sat up, looking at the cot. She was on her feet, holding herself up by her arms as she looked at me. Her eyes were filled with tears and curved downward almost like a pout. I have to admit, she was cute like that.

I stood up and went over to her.

"What do you want?"I asked.

She looked at me.

"So?"

She continued looking at me and started sniffing.

"Did you poop in your pants?"i asked.

I bent down towards her and took in a whiff. Nope, I don’t smell anything. Just baby soap and powder.

I looked at the clock and found out it was 5.30 in the morning. Another one and a half hours and I would have to go to school already. I look at her baby face and gave up. I picked her up and carried her down. Walking to the kitchen, I stopped to look at her. I was carrying her. I was finally carrying her. I broke out into a smile without knowing it and Soomin smiled back at me.

I continued walking to the kitchen and place her in her highchair.