Confessions

My Life As A...Daddy?!

 

It was night time already. Everybody was put into bed, even that hyper active jaeyeon. Sitting in bed, I stared at the phone.

Should i call her?*

Yes you should! Go ahead and call her and confess!

No you should not! You're Junhyung for goddamn sake. The almighty Junhyung! You don’t go asking for girls. Especially one that you like!

My mind had a little conversation quarrel between the good and the bad. Not wanting to think so much anymore, I picked up the phone and dialed her number.

"Just be a man and get it over with." I said to myself and place the phone next to my ear.

It was ringing until there was a click sound.

"Hello?" chaeyeon’s voice came over the receiver.

I opened my mouth but no voice came out.

"hello?" chaeyeon said again.

Still, as hard as I tried, nothing, not a single thing, came into my mind.

"If you're not going to talk, I’m going to hang up now." chaeyeon said.

"Ah wait!" I shouted into the phone.

"Junhyung?"

"Ahahaha...yeah. It’s me." I laughed awkwardly.

"Is anything the problem?" she asked.

"Can you meet me, at the ice cream shop nearby?" I asked.

"It’s 9 at night. Don’t we have school tomorrow?" she asked.

"Yeah, but I just need awhile. Just a little while."

There was silence at the other end as I waited for her decision.

"Okay, but just a little while."

"Okay. So see you there!" I said happily and hung up. Grabbing my coat, I rushed out the house and towards the shop. I was early, since I lived even nearer so while waiting, I bought two hot chocolate. Chaeyeon arrived just when I came back to the table.

"I bought you hot cocoa, hope you don’t mind."

"thanks." she smiled and sat down.

"So what do you want to talk about?"

"let’s go out to the park." I suggested.

"Erm...okay..."chaeyeon looked suspiciously at me. “You’re not going to rob me or anything right?" she asked.

I laughed out loud but she still kept a serious face.

"No, of course not."

It was cold out in the park. I was so nervous to admit to her, but I mean, I’ve done these lots of times, so what’s the difference? Stopping in my tracks, I turned to look at chaeyeon.

"I’ve got something I want to admit."

"What is it?"

"I..."

The way she looked at me was much more than I can handle. Even in the cold my palms were getting sweaty.

"I think you look pretty today." I blurt out without thinking.

She chuckled a little.

"Thanks."

I looked away and blushed. Argh...How embarrassing can you be yong Junhyung? I stopped in my tracks yet again.

"Actually, that’s not what I wanted to tell you." I said once more.

"Then what is it?"

Her face clearly showed amusement, thinking that I’m gonna come up with another lame and funny joke.

"I like you!" I quickly said out.

There. It’s out. I'm done.

"I like you too Junhyung." she said happily and walked off, leaving me gaping.

She didn’t get what I mean. How can she not get what I mean? I walked over to her and pulled her back.

"No, as in, I like you like you." I tried again.

"Yeah and I like you like yo-ohhh." she said, finally realizing. She looked at me then looked away. She wriggled her wrist out of my hand and walked away quickly.

"What? You don’t like me?" I asked, chasing up with her.

"No it’s just...."

"Just what?"

She stopped abruptly, causing me to bump into her. She stayed silent then, not knowing what to say.

"You know, you don’t have to tell me now. You can tell me tomorrow."

Still no answer.

"So I’ll see you tomorrow in school. I want an answer by then though. Bye!" I waved and walked away, trying to keep my coolness.

There goes my pride. For the first time in my life, I got rejected. Not exactly but somewhat there. Damn. If I would have knew this would happen, I wouldn’t have done this in the first place.

 

I woke up early next morning with dark eye bags since I was tossing and turning in my sleep yesterday. Why? All because of my kind-of-rejection. Sending Soomin to my grandma house, i walked to school but coincidentally, there was Chaeyeon. She looked over at me for a moment before she turned away and walked into the building. I sighed and walked in too, putting on my sunglasses to hide my panda eyes.

"Hiyeommie junhyungie!" Kikwang bounded happily to me.

I sneered at him.

"What you so happy about?"

"nothing." he said and walked away.

Weirdoes nowadays.

When I arrived at the classroom, I saw a note at my usual desk. I opened it and saw that it was Chaeyeon asking me to meet her at the rooftop garden during break.

Is she going to give me an answer now?

For the whole lesson, I kept on thinking what if she said she didn’t accept me, then what? Or if she did? Well, she has to. How can anyone not accept me? Arriving at the rooftop garden, she was there early. Again. She must have sensed me there because she turned around. I didn’t know the expression on her face. She isn’t smiling, so there couldn’t be any good news. But she's not moody or straight-faced so it can’t be a very bad news. But I was wrong. Very wrong.

"Hi Junhyung." she said in a weak voice and smiling a forced one.

"Yeah." I nodded my head at her. “Are you here to tell me your answer?" I asked.

I scolded myself silently for making myself look so desperate to know her answer.She looked at me warily and nodded her head slowly. I looked at her expectantly, waiting for her to say her answer.

"I know what you're doing Junhyung. Jaeyeon isn’t your girlfriend at all." she said instead

My mind froze and I was at a loss of words to say. How did she know?

"She told me yesterday after me and Doojoon left." she added.

"And about yesterday's confession. I'm sorry, Junhyung. But I can’t accept you."

She said it so quickly and fast, that I almost missed it if I had been dwelling on the fake girlfriend thing.

Her words hit me like a million arrows heading my way. Or simply the evil cupid shooting one super sharp arrow to my heart, breaking it into pieces.

"Is it because of Minyoung? Or Soomin?" I asked, finding out that my voice had lost all its feelings.

"Aniyo," she shook her head." I like someone else. And I hope you would respect my decision. I liked you once, but that was history. I moved on and so should you." she said with a soft smile.

"You’re lying." I whispered, dropping my head so that I don’t have to look at her in the eyes.

Damn. Why am I acting so soft now?

"I’m not. And I think you would know who that person is..." she said.

I looked up, waiting for that painful truth.

"Its Doojoon." she finished.

And just like that, hopes were gone and hearts, actually only one heart, was broken. Ever since that painful day, where the girl I loved rejected me, I didn’t see chaeyeon anymore. Except for when I see her and Doojoon together. It hurts, but I’m a guy. I can get over it. And ever since that day, weirdly, Minyoung was always there for me instead of chaeyeon. But that little hope was that it was still her and not Minyoung. But it was okay. Soomin needed her mum anyway. And I’m starting to see a new light of Minyoung. She's actually much more different then i thought she should be. We even spent a whole day together as it was Soomin's birthday, and to say the truth, that feeling of a family was there. So I continued living life to the fullest, making sure that Soomin grows up to be a wonderful girl and doing the job of a good daddy :D

But one day, what she said caught me off guard.

[2 years passed]

We were at home late at night, and watching a rented movie while Soomin plays with her Barbie dolls and castles and so on. I spoilt her. But that’s what dads are for. And then, as I was drinking coke, Minyoung suddenly popped up a question.

"Junhyung ah, do you think we should get married?"

I choked on my coke, and spit it out. It sprayed onto the carpet.

"! Dad's gonna kill me."

I heard Soomin giggling in the background. That’s it. No more coke for her next time. And I’m gonna hide Kiwi away from her as punishment. I looked over at Minyoung and saw that she was still waiting for a reply to her question. And the face she was giving me doesn’t seem like she's joking about it either.

"Erm...don’t you think it’s still early? I mean, I’m only 20. And you're 19!"

"It’s possible."

I thought about it. We were a family. We even had a child before marriage. And I love her. I'm sorry but I didn’t mention that we have been couples for 2 years already.

"It’s okay if you don’t want to. You're right; it’s a little too early. “She agreed and looked back to the TV, but hurt and disappointment was clearly shown on her face.

Something tugged at my heart. She has been with me all this time. She helped me got over heartbreak and helped me with Soomin. Maybe it’s time I be the one help her. I took hold of her hand. She looked up, surprised.

"You know, you're right. We should get married. Soomin's used to you already anyway, and she needs a mum like how I need a wife too."

Her face was expressionless except for her wide eyes, but then her eyes started to water and she smiled.

"Chincha?"

"mhhm." I nodded my head.

She smiled brightly as a few tears escaped her eyes and hugged me.

Just then, Soomin started crying and broke our hug.

"I’ll go take care of her." Minyoung said and went over to pick Soomin up, bringing her upstairs.

Third person's POV

"Omo, have you heard? Junhyung and Minyoung's getting married!" I heard Yoseob tell Doojoon.

We were at doojoon's house, the three of us, just resting. It was a hot afternoon. I was lying on the floor with my eyes closed when I heard the news. My heart stopped beating for second as i listened some more without opening my eyes.

"They said their going to get married in a few weeks, maybe two months. Man, that’s quick. But at least Junhyung invited us."

I heard a loud smack, followed by a silent "shh" before it went silent again.

I felt my eyes water but I left my eyes closed so the tears would just go away by itself.

"Chaeyeon ah..."Doojoon said, suddenly by my side.

"You should tell him before it’s too late." he said.

"It’s already too late. And I don’t want to ruin their relationship. Sometimes, lying is better than the truth."

I can feel doojoon's eyes boring into mine but i kept my eyes closed still, hoping the pain would go away.