The Truth

My Life As A...Daddy?!

 "Yah! Yong Junhyung! Get out of that ing room!" Doojoon shouted from downstairs.

I jolted up from my sleep. I guess I must have fallen asleep.

"Yah! A baby's here! Watch your language!" I heard my grandma scold Doojoon and heard a loud smack.

"Sorry halmeoni." he mumbled.

I got out of the room and went downstairs.

"You’ve locked yourself in your room for at least two hours. We all thought you got depression and took sleeping pills." Kikwang said.

"It’s time to go. We'll walk with you and Soomin to your house." Yoseob said happily and picked Soomin up, placing her into the pram.

The others happily went out the door while playing with her while I took my time. I looked at them walking in one direction while I eyed the other direction. I could just run away and never come back. This was a good chance for me. I walked, actually crept the other way quietly until I felt something smack into my head. I grabbed onto the hit spot and looked down to see a slipper.

My grandma's slipper.

I turned behind to see her glaring at me.

"Don’t think you can run away so fast young man. I'm eyeing on you. “She said and did the eye to eye thing.

She's scary sometimes. I think she must be a secret detective when she was young. Who knows?

I grunted and went back to join the rest.

When we reached, they handed me the pram and went off by themselves.

"Soomin ah…poppo." Yoseob requested and bent down, his face right in front of hers.

Soomin looked at him blankly then smacked his face.

Ahahaha! Rejected! Assa!

Yoseob walked away by himself feeling dejected. It’s good to see my good friends being rejected sometimes.

"We’ll see you tomorrow in school. Bye Junhyung." Kikwang said and waved along with the others.

I was just about to open the door when I heard someone calling out for me.

"Excuse me! Sir!" a postman appeared behind me. "You’ve got mail." he told me and handed me an envelope and a slip. "Sign here."

He handed me a pen and I took it, signing it and returning it to him.

"Thank you and have a nice day." he turned around but turned back again. “Cute sister you have there by the way. “He said and nodded his head before riding off on his bicycle.

I look down at Soomin as she looked up at me with the envelope on her legs.

"Is it really hard for people to think of me as a dad?" i asked her.

She blinked twice before returning to trying to open up the envelope. I sighed and opened the door. It was dark. Dad was probably staying overnight at work while Jaehyun must be off partying again. I took Soomin out of her pram and place her on the sofa and took the brown envelope from her. I looked at the address at the front.

Omigosh...it’s the dna. It finally came.

I looked at Soomin, then back to the envelope to Soomin and back to the envelope again. I looked back to Soomin and held my gaze on her.

Suddenly, I’m not sure if I wanted to open it. What if I didn’t want to know the truth? What if it says that I’m not her dad? Then what? But what if I am? Am I supposed to support her all the way until she grows up? And if she's not mine, am I supposed to adopt her or put her into adoption?

I looked back to the envelope, took a deep breath, and opened it. I took out the paper slowly. There were just two slips of paper, one with the useful information and the other one not so much. I dumped the unimportant one aside and looked carefully at the words printed out in black and white.

"Mr. Yong Junhyung,

You have sent in a blood sample to test it you had any blood relations with the baby.

The test results came out that you share the same blood as the baby, yong Soomin.

There is a..."

I stopped reading and the paper slipped out from my hands. I'm the father. The real father of Soomin.

What am I supposed to feel? Happy? Excited? Sad? Depressed? Shocked? Well, I didn’t know the answer, but when I looked at Soomin, the answer was clear and evident.

"I’m your daddy Soomin." I told her as I gave her a smile.

 

"Daddddd!!!"I shouted as he opened the door.

He jumped back in fright as he stared at me.

"Jesus Christ, you scared the living daylights out of me. What’s with you popping out from nowhere?"He asked as he closed the door and put down his bag.

"Guess what guess what guess what?"I asked excitedly.

He looked at me with a raised eye.

"You’re acting weird Jaesoon. You're acting like a 5 year old. “he looked at me and when I didn’t answer, he added," which you don’t ever do."

I looked at him. I have no idea why, after knowing the results for me being the real dad, I felt hyper. Very, very hyper!

"Is there anything you want to tell me Junhyung?"He asked with a sigh

"The results came! I'm a daddy! The real daddy of Soomin! Woohooooooo!"I shouted and gave him a hug. Well, it wasn’t really a hug since I couldn’t really lift him up. Let’s just say he's a little too fat.

"That’s great. “He said and walked off to the kitchen.

"Aren’t you happy for me or something?" I asked and followed him.

"I already knew you were the dad. You were the fool who wanted the dna as proof." he said matter-of-factly and got out a cup and poured in some orange juice.

"It would be fine if you could just act a little surprised and happy." I heard the jingle of keys and the door unlocking. “Whatever. I'll just go tell Jaehyun."

The door opened and I pounced on him, making him fall to the floor.

"Yah! Get off of me!"He screamed like a girl and pushed me off. “what’s wrong with you?!"

"I’m the real dad of Soomin!"I shouted in his face and looked at his face for some reaction.

"And?" he asked like it’s no one's business.

"Aren’t you surprised?" I asked.

"Why would I be?"He said and walked off, leaving me there dumbfounded.

How could they not be happy? I mean, this is news! Big news!

"Junhyung, it might be good news to you, but that’s only because you're the dad. It doesn’t involve us. So stop your nonsense and go take care of Soomin." my dad told me and walked off to his room.

I just stood there gaping at them. Whatever. They don’t appreciate anything. Just they watch out, I’ll make sure Soomin doesn’t learn to call them uncle and grandpa until she's 10 years old! I walked off to my room and bent over the cot, looking at Soomin sleeping.

She does look a little like me. Just then, her eyes shot open. She looked at me while I looked at her.

oh god...please....no...

Just when I thought she was about to burst out in tears, she broke into a smile. My heart that was once filled with fear melted. Babies are not all that bad. It’s amazing how they could open your heart that much.

Soomin stood up and reached out her hands. I took her up and brought her over to my bed. She squirmed in my hands and when I let her go, she crawled to the middle of my bed and lay down, on her thumb.

"You want to sleep here today?"I asked.

She looked at me with her eyes. I'm not a baby expert but i know for sure that the answer was a yes.

I lift up the covers and covered her with it and lay down next to her. She looked at me for a very long time, still not closing her eyes yet.

"Go to sleep." I told her and after a moment's time, she closes her eyes and drifted off to sleep. I did too. Just faster than her.