The Brightest Star

My Life As A...Daddy?!

 When I reached the park, it was deserted. Of course it is. No one in their right mind would come out at midnight on a cold night with the temperature falling to minus ten. I looked down to make sure Soomin wasn’t cold. I don’t think she is since I actually wrapped her up in four sets of clothes and covered her with a blanket and another towel.

"Are you cold Soomin?" I asked softly.

She just looked up at me while on her fingers.

"Your birthday's coming soon. It’s on valentine's day isn’t it? Where do you want to go?" i asked her as I walked towards the bench overlooking the bridge and river. I sat down and sighed.

"Life is hard being a daddy." I complained.

Just then, Soomin started crying again. And I forgot to bring out her pacifier or food or diapers.

"Come on...don't cry. Look! Look at the moon! Isn’t it big?"I told her as I brought her near the bank of the river. But it still didn’t interest her.

"Do you want to go on the bridge? Or are you cold?" I asked but she still continued crying.

"What do you want?!" I busted out and made her cry even more. I knelt down with Soomin in my hands.

Yong Junhyung. Keep yourself together. Boys don’t cry. Especially not you.

These are really times when I need mum. Too bad she isn’t here.

"Do you need help?" someone asked just then.

I turned around and gasp.

"Chaeyeon?"

"Junhyung?" she gasped too, surprised to see me. She then brought her gaze down to Soomin who was still crying.

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

"Erm...taking a...walk?" I answered, not willing to provide the truth.

"At a time like this?"

"Then what about you?" I asked and this time, it was her turn to stutter.

"I...needed a breather."

"Oh..." I nodded my head as we both kept silent. And the silence made me remember that Soomin was still crying.

"Can I hold her?" chaeyeon asked as if reading my mind.

"Sure." I replied and gave Soomin to her.

She took the baby from my hand expertly and held it to her. She must have caught my surprised look because she gave me a small smile and shrugged.

"I babysit my neighbor’s kids sometimes. Is she your cousin?" she asked.

"I..." I paused thinking of what Doojoon told me today."...no. She's my...daughter." I confessed and look towards the ground, waiting to hear her either cry, saying I was jerk or just dump the baby back to me and run away. But instead, when I looked up, she was smiling at me, which caught me off guard.

"It’s common for teenagers to have children. It seems like you can’t handle her." she said and chuckled. “You are the school playboy."

"Yeah..." I mumbled, feeling for once embarrassed for who I was.

She was an expert. Soomin stopped crying soon and was smiling towards chaeyeon.

"So is life okay for you now?" she asked as she sat down on the floor next to me.

"Life’s...you know." I told her as I gave a look towards Soomin.

"Can’t you handle her? You have your dad and brother and your friends right?"

"I do. But they're saying how I should do all of it. That I should take responsibility as the dad."

"But it's true. You are the dad." she whispered.

"But she's not confirmed mine yet. And I don’t even know who's her mum!"

"But she looks like you."

"There are many lookalikes in the world." I scoffed and she just smiled at me.

We kept quiet again but for once, the quietness was good after suffering with Soomin.

"I can help you if you want." she said out of the blue.

"You mean, like help me cope with what I’m supposed to do?"

"No. Helping you takes care of Soomin and to teach you how to become a better dad." she said with her positive attitude.

"sure." i agreed, not the slightest bit happy

"Awww...come on. Cheer up! You have a baby in your life!" she said happily and took some water and splashed it on me.

"Yah...I’m already freezing out here. If I get a cold, you're gonna pay." I grumbled.

She just giggled and handed me back Soomin. I took over and place her on my legs, letting her sit and lie on my chest. Soomin looked up into the sky.

“Do you see that Soomin? It’s called Sirius. That is the brightest star in the sky. Isn’t it beautiful?” I told her as she stared up into the sky.

“How…did you know this type of things?” Chaeyeon asked.

I frowned.

“You don’t seem like those who would bother with these types of things.” She said and smiled.

That smile of hers, it never fails to make me forget it.

“My mum taught me that when I was young.” I shrugged.

“And now?”

“She’s gone now. So I don’t bother learning anymore.”

“Don’t you want to try now? For Soomin?”

“Why bother?”

“Maybe because that when she grows up, she would know this things too. It seems like a magical thing to know. Your mum would do that if she was still here.”

I turned to look at her as she looked up at the stars, her eyes shining just as bright as it. She gave me something that I’ve never felt before with other girls. And the more I look at her, the more familiar her face seems.

She turned and caught me staring. I turned away, feeling my cheeks burn.

"Whats you full name?" i asked while looking at Soomin's hand.

"Full name? Why do you need to know that?"

"Just." I told her and shrugged.

"Oh. I'm a..."

I held my breath. If it’s true, then maybe, just maybe...