Learning New Things

My Life As A...Daddy?!

 She looked up to see me. But I didn’t see her. All I could think about was Soomin. And then, the flashback came. The party. She and I kissing. We went into the room. I stopped thinking and looked at her.

"I’m sorry. “She said as her voice trembled.

"Huh..." was all I could say.

Silence fell over us.

"So you're the mum of Soomin?" I asked.

I didn’t trust her. And to say the truth, I thought, that little thought, that chaeyeon was her mum.

"Yes. I brought her up for awhile but I live alone. And it was hard for me to cope with her so I brought her to you. I knew you had a family and she would have a better life with you so I brought her to you."

That was exactly what she wrote in the letter.

"So you're here to take her back?" I asked.

I couldn’t even think of that. Soomin leaving me forever? I shuddered.

"No. She will stay with you. For now. I just wanted to tell you the truth."

My heart heaved a sigh of relief.

"So what are you planning to do now that you told me the truth?" I asked.

"I don’t know. It would be great if we all could hang out together. As a family." she said.

A family? But, I wasn’t happy she was the mum. I made love with a girl whom I don’t love. I had a baby with a girl I never loved.

"You know...I don’t trust you." I blurted out.

She looked up at me in disbelief. “You don’t believe that I’m Soomin’s mum?"

"Yeah. I know there can be many girls doing this to get close to me."

"Fine. Then what do I have to do to make you believe me?" she asked, filled with confidence.

I hesitated. "Take a blood test and we'll see if all of us match."

"Okay. I'll see you at the hospital, Junhyung." she smiled and stood up and walked away.

"Wow..."I slumped back into the bench." Minyoung is Soomin's mother."

"Junhyung." thinking it was Minyoung, I ignored her and looked at the ground. She came beside me and sat down.

"Yah, Yong Junhyung." she said again.

It was either me or Minyoung's voice changed. I looked to the side and saw chaeyeon staring at me with a pout on her lips.

"Chaeyeon? What are you doing down here?" I asked.

"You ignored me."

"Huh?"

"I called you but you ignored me. Are you trying to be cool?" she crossed her hands across her chest.

"N-no." I stuttered.

She glared at me but she broke out into a smile.

"All right. I forgive you." she said happily and sat back.

"I didn’t even do anything in the first place." I mumbled to myself grumpily.

"What was that?" she asked.

"Nothing." I said and force myself to smile.

"I saw a girl coming down from here. Who was she?" she asked.

I looked at her and she blushed.

"I just wanted to know."

"She came to tell me that she was Soomin's mum." I explained.

She looked at me, her eyes widening a little before regaining her normal eyes.

"So you finally found out who was Soomin's mum?"

"Yeah...but..."

"But?"

"I’m not happy she's the mum."

"Of course you don’t."

"So now do I have to live with her? Do I have to get married to her?"

"No you don’t. You guys can live separately. You just have to decide who to keep Soomin." she told me.

Silence fell on us again as we both looked at each other.

“I thought you were the mum Chaeyeon.” I blurted out, again.

Her eyes widen in shock but she laughed.

‘I could never be her mum.” She said with a smile and looked away.

I narrowed my eyes at her.

“Really?” I asked as I brought my face closer to hers.

“Yea-yeah.” She stuttered and blushed, not making eye contact with me.

“Can you come with me to the hospital?” I asked her. I had a motive in my mind.

“Why?” She asked.

“I have a phobia of the hospital so I want someone to accompany me.”

“Seriously? You?” She asked with an amused look on her face.

“What? I’m still human.”

“Okay.”She said happily and stood up, pulling me along.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

“To see Soomin! It’s been a long time since I met her.”

“You just met her a few days ago.”

 But she just ignored me and continues pulling me along.

We were just about to reach the main door when I stopped. Chaeyeon looked at me.

"What’s wrong?" she asked.

"I have to go for detention." I said, suddenly remembering.

"Seriously?" she asked and I shrugged in reply.

"Well, I don’t want to wait alone so I guess I’ll have to go to detention with you." she said with a smile and walked off but I pulled her back.

"You can’t go to detention just like that."

"Really? That what do I have to do?" she asked.

I stared at her incredulously. Never once in my life have I ever met someone who willingly wanted to go to detention.

"Hello? Earth to Junhyung." she waved her hands in front of me.

"Are you sure?" I asked again.

"Course I am. So what do I have to do?"  She asked.

"Erm...something bad?"

"Like writing on the school toilet cubicles?"

"That’s too small to go for detention. The most you'll get is a warning slip."

"Then lighting the school on fire?" she asked.

"You know that’s out of the question."

"Then how bout just setting off the fire alarm?"

I thought about it and nodded. “That sounds like a good idea."

"Okay."

She walked over to the nearest fire alarm, opened the plastic covering and pressed the red button. Soon, the whole school was filled with the sound of the alarm. Students just walked by, probably thinking it’s another false alarm again. Then the speakers blasted on with the teacher's message.

"This is a false alarm. I repeat, this is a false alarm."

And it clicked off. Chaeyeon stayed where she was until the headmaster came in view and saw her. He walked over to her.

"Were you the one who pressed it?"

"Yup." chaeyeon nodded her head.

The headmaster looked closely at her.

"No one forced you?" he asked.

"Nope."

He continued staring at her and sighed. “Come with me." he said and led her to his office. I walked behind them silently and waited for chaeyeon to come out. And when she did, she smiled and waved the pink slip in front of me.

"Got it." she whispered.

I shook my head and laughed. "I’ve never seen someone done this before."

"Well, I’m the special one I guess." she said happily.

Detention, for once, went by in a blur since chaeyeon was mostly chirping along with me and the other guys. And when it ended, she followed me home.

"Have fun you guys!" Yoseob shouted back at us.

“Yeah, go have some time alone." Doojoon too, shouted.

"Hyung, tell me the details tomorrow, okay?"Dongwoon whispered, loud enough for chaeyeon to hear. I looked over at her and saw her blushing.

"Go away." I told him and shoved him off. “Sorry about that. Dongwoon is sometimes..." I stopped, not knowing the word for him.

"Innocent?" she suggested.

"More like immature."

Silence fell over us but it wasn’t awkward. Well, I didn’t feel awkward. It’s those type of silence where you can feel comfortable with, not talking and just walking side by side.

"Hey Junhyung." chaeyeon said. “Look there." she pointed to my other direction.

I turned my head. All i saw was houses. “Look at what?"

When I turned back around, she threw something at me, probably pealed leaves and grasses. I heard her giggling as she ran away gleefully.

"Yah! You're as immature as Dongwoon!" I shouted and ran after her.

 "You...run...fast..."I said while panting.

"You’re tired just like that only?" she said, not missing a single breath.

"No." I lied, took in a deep breath, and tried to regain my normal breathing. I fumbled for my keys and opened the door to my grandma house.

"We’re back halmoni!" I greeted as I walked in.

"I’m at the back! Dinner will be ready in a few minutes!" she shouted back.

I walked into the kitchen and took a whiff of her famous kimchi stew. She makes the best one! Her back was facing us as she was turning something in the pot with a big wooden spoon.

"I bought a friend home." I told her and went to pour two cups of water.

"Really? Who is it? Yoseob?" she asked. (Yoseob usually go to his house the most :D)

She turned around and stared at chaeyeon.

"Omo...I thought you were Yoseob." she laughed." he hardly bring girls home." she informed.

"Halmoni!" I felt my face grow hotter.

"What’s your name dear?" she asked.

"Chaeyeon. Lee Chaeyeon."

"That’s a nice name. There'll be enough for you so just wait for awhile okay?" she said and turn her attention back to her stew.

"Here." I gave her the cup of water and lead her out into the living room.

"Where’s Soomin?" she asked.

"She’s in the playroom, I guess."

"She has a playroom?"

"Nope, but ever since my grandma heard the news, she transformed the spare room into her playroom." She nodded and walked into the room. There was Soomin, playing with her toys inside her cot.

"Hi there Soomin!" I greeted.

She looked up, smiled and raised both hands up. I picked her up and carried her in my arms.

"You seem professional." chaeyeon concluded.

"Only in carrying her and waking up early, other than that, not really."

"You don’t bathe her? Or feed her?"

"My grandma does all of that."

"I see..." she nodded.

"I’m still in the process of learning." I quickly added to not make me sound like a loser.

"Can I carry her?" she asked.

"Sure." I handed over Soomin to her.

"Hello!" chaeyeon greeted before blabbering on to her. I left both of them alone and went by myself downstairs and sat myself down and watched TV. But before I could even take 5 minutes, I felt a knock on my head.

I grunted in pain and looked behind to see chaeyeon.

"I’ll teach you how to cook Soomin's food now!" she said with a bright smile.

"Now?"

"Yes now."

"But, why?"

"I told you I’ll lead you to be a good father and you said okay."

"But-"

"No buts. If you don’t want Soomin to be taken away by Minyoung, than work hard!" she playfully scolded and walked into the kitchen. I sighed and got up unwillingly.

"That’s a great idea!" I heard my grandma said when I walked in.

"What’s a great idea?" I asked.

"Teaching you to make Soomin's food." she said and she walked out.

So now, it’s only me and chaeyeon in the kitchen. She got to work immediately, teaching me the type of food a baby can and cannot eat. Then, she taught me how to make baby porridge and also making sure that the water for the milk is just perfect. By the end of the day, I was parched.

"Here Soomin. Made by your very own daddy!" chaeyeon said and place down the bowl of porridge and freshly made orange juice made by me.

I dropped my head down on to the table and moaned in grief.

"You can’t be tired yet. You still have to bathe her."

"Bwoh?!" my head shot up immediately.

I looked at chaeyeon closely, trying to find something on her face that tells me she's lying or joking but it was serious. I dropped my head down on to the table and continued .

Chaeyeon placed my dinner on the table and I ate it as slowly as possible. By the time we were done, it was already 9.

"Don’t you need to go home now chaeyeon? It’s late." I said, pointing at the clock.

"It’s okay. After bathing her, I’ll go home with you." she said and brought Soomin to the bathroom.

I cried silently in defeat. When I was in the bathroom, chaeyeon was already preparing the water. And then she went into her lecture on the right temperature for bathing. And then, she put Soomin into the bathtub and taught me the right way to bathe her. And by the time we were done, I wasn’t just parched. I was on the verge of dying.

"Okay. Now we're ready to go home!" chaeyeon said and pushed the pram out with a very tired Soomin. I too was tired. I had to drag myself out there since my grandma didn’t allow me to sleep over at her house.

"You did a great job today." chaeyeon said softly as we were walking on the road. It was silent as everyone was probably retiring from the day. It was chilly tonight so I stuffed my hands into my pockets.

"Thanks." I looked at the floor while walking.

"I think you'll make it as a dad."

"You really think so?" I asked and looked up at her. She was looking right back at me, her eyes gazing at mine.

"Uh huh." she replied with a nod.

I held her gaze longer before turning away. Gosh...why is it so hot now? When we reached, chaeyeon gave Soomin a kiss on the cheek although she was already asleep.

"Do you need me to walk you home?" I asked but she shook her head.

"You need rest. You've had enough for today." she said. She waved goodbye and gave one last smile before walking away.

And that was when I found out that my heart was beating faster than usual.