Walk and Burglary

My Life As A...Daddy?!

Walking with Chaeyeon was already a habit. Although we only walked together at night once, it was enough. But walking her to her house was a first.

"You don’t have to walk me home. I can go home by myself." she said, looking at me with hopeful eyes.

"Nope. My grandma would scold me."

the night was still cold so I checked to see if Soomin was warmly wrapped.

"But she wouldn’t know." she tried again.

"Yes she would. She always has her ways."

Chaeyeon gave me an amused look, sighed and looked back down to the ground while walking.

"So...Minyoung's the mum." Chaeyeon suddenly brought up.

Surprised by her question, I was at a loss of words.

"Are you guys planning on getting married?" she blurted out and even in the darkness, I can see a tinge of blush on her cheeks.

"Of course not. I’m still too young."

"It’s possible. You guys had a baby before marriage."

I looked over at her. Just for fun, I tried testing if it was really true she was somewhat jealous. I mean, I am once the love of her life.

"It is possible..." I said, trying to make me look like I’m thinking of that idea.

I inspected her and saw her cheeks blow up a little. She took in a big breath and sighed deeply, but soft enough not to be heard.

"You scared I’ll get married?" I asked.

Her eyes widen in surprise. She turned her head to look at me so quickly I thought her neck would break.

"No!" her answer came out a little bit too loud. Her eyes widen in realization of what she said and quickly look away from me.

I smirked and look at Soomin who was sleeping soundly. Sounds like someone's jealous.

The both of us walked to her house in silence. I tried making conversations but she wouldn’t look me in the eye. I guess she was really embarrassed. When we reached her doorstep, we stood awkwardly facing each other.

"So..." I started

"I’ll see you tomorrow. Thanks for the walk home." she blurted out

"tomorrow?"

When were we meeting tomorrow? The last time I checked, I stopped having study dates when Soomin came along.

"We’re going shopping for clothes right? Soomin has grown a lot since those past months." she reminded. Seeing my confused look, she gave a glare that says i-hope-you-didnt-actually-forget-about-it-cause-if-you-did-youre-so-dead. I reacted quickly and gave a knowing nod.

"Right...okay."

She wasn’t trusted but decided to give it a rest.

"Well then, goodnight Junhyung."

Chaeyeon turned around and fumbled with the keys, turning the knob and was about to close the door when I stopped it. She looked at me questioningly.

"Thanks." I said and quickly look down. I can’t believe I’m doing this! I don’t say thanks a lot. Neither do I say sorry. I have a reputation to keep.

"For what?"

I hesitated but continued. I had to end what I started.

"For helping me with Soomin."

She gave a small smile.

"You’re welcome. You know you can always count on me!" she said joyfully. “Goodnight Junhyung." she said, giving a small wave before finally closing the door.

I smiled to myself before going down the step and pushing Soomin back home.

When I got home, it was pitch dark.

Huh...must be those two guys are out.

I took Soomin out of her pram and brought her upstairs into my room, laying her gently down into her cot and tucking her in with blankets, not forgetting to place her favorite soft toy next to her.

"Goodnight Soomin..." I whispered softly and kissed her forehead. She smells like baby powder and shampoo. Walking out the door, I stopped and touched my lips.

"Omo...did I just kiss her?" I looked back to Soomin. I did. I kissed Soomin for the very first time. That’s a great achievement as a dad. Happy at my achievement, I walked to the bathroom only to hear something clanging in the kitchen downstairs. I stopped midstep and pause to listen.

Maybe it’s just my dad. Or Jaehyun.

Walking downstairs, I saw that the light was still off. They usually turn on the light whenever they come home. It couldn’t possibly them. It must be someone else. Taking my dad's golf stick, I edged closer and closer to the sound which was still going on.

Oh ho ho...That person better not be going through my secret stash of peanut butter crackers. Or my coke. Cause if he is, I’m so gonna whack him with this stick until he have to go to the hospital.

I took a deep breath, counted to three and switched on the light. It was blinding me at first, everywhere I look was white. But my eyes slowly adjusted and I saw a figure standing there. It wasn’t a man. It was tiny and petite. Definitely a woman. And not just any woman. That woman was my 17 year old cousin.