Baby Surprise

My Life As A...Daddy?!

 Junhyung's pov

"We’re going out now. Are you sure you don’t want to come along?" Jaehyun asked.

"Why would I want to follow you to the store?" I asked exasperated.

My brother was going with my dad to the electronics store to buy a new laptop for him.

"So you could see me getting a new laptop while you can’t. “He smirked.

I knew it...

"Just sod off and leave me alone." I scowled, on the TV and sank down into the sofa.

"Fine. “He simply said and went out the door, still grinning like an idiot.

"Damn..."I cursed when they were out." I shouldn’t have asked dad to buy me that phone." I sighed.

Just my luck I guess. I was watching TV until I heard my stomach growling.

I guess it’s time of my tea break! I went to the kitchen to make myself some cereal and some other junk that I can find. I poured myself some orange juice and was carrying a full load of food on my hands and arms when the bell suddenly rang loudly, making me jump and letting everything on my hands drop onto the floor.

Damn...oh no...Not the carpet. Dad is going to kill me!

I went grumpily to the door and opened it, expecting to see either my brother or those annoying little children who goes knocking on everyone's door and smiling their annoying smile of theirs, asking you to buy some of their cookies which is made from their heart.

99 percent of people got fooled and bought them, only to get their right mind back only when they closed the door and found out that it was just any ordinary cookie that they can buy from the grocery store. 0.9 percent of people would just wait until those little children said finish their speech and then say no politely.

And the other 0.1 percent would just open the door, see that it’s them, and just slam the door right in their innocent face.

And yes, I belong in that category. I don’t hate children, I just never liked them. I mean, they come around at least a million times a year!

And guess who was there? Not my brother. Not those annoying little kids. But something else.

There was a pram right in front of my very eyes and inside was a baby. I checked it once. I checked it twice. It’s definitely not a prank since the baby was actually breathing and wasn’t just a toy doll. I looked around but there was no one. Just it. I looked down at it again and saw that it was sleeping.

"This must be me hallucinating. Maybe I drank too much coffee...Yes that must be it." I told myself.

I closed the door and closed my eyes, counting to ten before opening the door again slowly. And there it was, still at the same spot. I grabbed my head with both hands.

This can’t be happening?! Who in the world would have a baby at their doorstep?

Okay, maybe in all those movies but those are not real! Just then, I saw a piece of paper sticking out from the baby's blanket. I snatched it out but I didn’t notice the baby. It stirred a little before going back to sleep.

I looked at it to make sure it was sleeping before reading the paper. I opened it and there was a note.

 

"Junhyung,

 

I know it must be a surprise to see a baby just appear at your doorstep. I know you. You don’t work well with babies since you've only focused more on yourself.

You must be wondering how and why it was here. What you're about to hear would be shocking. You might or might not believe it, it’s up to you but you have to. There's nothing else you can do. This baby right here is actually your daughter. You might think I’m joking here but I’m not."

I stopped reading. My daughter?! Ha! That was a good one. I continued reading.

"She really is your daughter. Her name is Soomin. Kim Soomin. She's just 9 months old. I'm sorry I can’t tell you who I am. I can’t let you know.

I had been taking care of her when she was born. After I found out I had her, I knew you were the daddy since you were the only boy I ever did anything with. But I didn’t have the courage to tell you. So I suffered with it by myself. I was thinking of abortion, but I can’t. She was my blood, my flesh and I can’t just let a life be taken away just because of me. So i had born her. I have been taking care of her, but it was hard. Doing it all by myself, without any help of my parents or any friends, I was on a mental breakdown.

So I brought her here. I knew you had a family, you had friends. She would have a better life with you than with me. I want her to grow up knowing that she has a family that love her and was always there for her. It was hard for me, but I just want her to have the best and living with me isn’t.

And please don’t tell her she have a mum. Just tell her I died so she wouldn’t know she would have such a useless person as a mum.

All the things you need to know about her is inside the big bag. All her passport and health booklet and everything. Please take good care of her. And change her surname to Yong since you would be her parent from now on.

Since you have a baby in your life, please stop fooling around so much with girls. It would affect the baby and I know you don’t want to be like that. I know what you're doing Junhyung and it’s all because of your mum isn’t it?

I would end here now. Please tell her that I love her. And no matter what, do not bring her up for adoption or foster care or I’ll kill the living daylights out of you.

Love,

Soomin's umma

P.S. I still love you all this time Junhyung..."

By the time I read finished this letter, my mouth was dropping to the floor and my eyes were about to pop out of its socket.

Her words hit me like a bullet.

My daughter?

But how can it be? I've never- oh right. What am I talking about? I've been with so many girls. Now I don’t know who’s her mum. I looked back at the baby and back at the paper and the baby again.

Well, one thing’s for sure. My life is doomed.

I can’t believe it. I have been standing at the same spot having a million thoughts in my mind. I was actually hoping that someone would jump out of nowhere and say that I was actually in a reality show, praying even! But no. Nothing, no one came out. But I’m still not going to believe it. This could be a mistake. It might not be my baby. I'll just do a DNA check. Yes, that’s it.

I went back inside and slam the door, half standing and half leaning on it.

It’s okay Junhyung. Everything is going to be okay. But I’m just lying to myself.

Just then, I heard something mewing softly. I thought it was just the neighbor’s cat but it started getting louder and it turned out to be crying. Cats don’t cry do they?

I gasp.

The baby!

I opened the door, seeing the baby's face scrunched up and tears flowing out. I quickly wheeled it in before any of the neighbors saw. You know how gossipy all those ajjuma's are.

I stood looking at the baby crying.  It watched me just as I watched her. And for once, the baby and I was feeling the same thing. And I really do feel like breaking down and crying with her. She continued to cry some more. Two minutes turned to five and then ten and she still hasn’t stopped. I can’t stand it, the noise is too loud. I haven’t worked well with children. I don’t know them and I never ever want to. I've never even touched one before!

"Just stop crying will you?"I shouted over the crying but only made it worse.

What are you thinking talking to a kid less than a year's old?

 She cried louder. I quickly wheeled her to the window, hoping that the scenery outside would interest her a little but it made no difference. So I just took the first thing that i could see, a pen, and gave it to her.

She stopped crying gradually and twist and turns the pen around in her hands. How can a pen interest her so much? Nonetheless, I took the chance of the quietness and escaped into my room.

Okay, what was I supposed to do? Right...DNA. I went online to check on where to have it done. I could have just gone to the hospital but that would cause too much trouble so I just ordered a DNA kit using my card. Although it used up most of the money inside, it was worth it. I don’t want to have the biggest mistake in my life stick to me for the rest of eternity.

They said the kit would arrive a day after ordering so I just had to wait. Yes, a day and that’s all. So for now, I have to just explain this to my family and find who the mum is.

I went back into the living room and saw that she was still playing with the pen. I sat down on the couch opposite it and stared. All this was happening so fast. But I can’t be a dad. I was only eighteen. I still have college and my life of being a playboy isn’t over yet. I haven’t even gotten married and I have a baby! And a baby in my life...it’s just impossible.

I went back up to my room and took my cell phone. I was about to send to all the girls i knew if they were the mum but i thought better of it. Out of all of them, there was only one girl and it would cause havoc if all of them knew I had a baby, so I went through everyone of them in my contact list, trying to find one with the surname Kim.

Well, no such luck. So far, I was stuck with 27 girls with the surname Kim. And I have at least hundreds of girls in my contact list.

Just then, I heard the door to the house open and the sound of the keys jiggling. I waited in anxiety, for my dad or Jaehyun to see the baby and ask me down and it didn’t take long. I waited just 1 minute and I could hear footsteps coming up. The door opened and my brother peeped his head in.

"Dad wants you down in the living room now." he told me with a shocked look on his face.

I stood up and dragged my heavy feet down. How am i supposed to tell my dad about all this?

I went into the living room and saw my dad sitting on the couch, staring at the thing in the buggy. I sat down quietly while my brother sat next to me. I stared at my dad while he continued staring at the baby. I cleared my throat and he snapped back to reality.

He looked at me blankly before I could see confusion in his eyes.

"Junhyung...what is a baby doing at our house?"He asked in a quiet tone.

I just sat there, staring at him. His calm face turned into a frown.

"Junhyung?"

"Its...I found it at our doorstep and brought it in. Her name's Soomin. Ki- I mean Yong Soomin."

"Yong Soomin?"He asked, emphasizing on the Yong. He studied me, his eyes narrowing.

"Jaehyun. Go upstairs to your room and do something." he told my brother.

"Like what?" he asked.

"I don’t know. Just find something!" my dad snapped.

"Fine..."Jaehyun pouted unhappily and went up.

My dad turned back to me and his glare swept over me like a searchlight, leaving me with nowhere to hide.