Chapter 4

I Just Don't Know Anymore

{ Sungjae POV }

 

“So, what are you doing on Saturday?” Eunjin’s voice crackled slightly through the old pay phone.

“Um, I’ve got a student council meeting in the morning, which finishes at ten. But I’m free after that. Why?” I replied, going through the calendar in my head. Being a good student is really tiring sometimes.

“Oh, just curious. I was thinking of seeing you then, Mr. Soon-to-be-nineteen-year-old! Or is your noona too embarrassing that you don’t want people to see me?” She said back in a childish voice. Sometimes I think I should have been the eldest and Eunjin would be my dongsaeng, not the other way round. Though I won’t be that much younger than her soon, as my birthday is on Saturday.

“You may be embarrassing but you’re my sister. I think…” I retorted in a boring tone.

“Don’t be a smartarse! Anyway, I’ll see you at your dorm on Saturday, okay?”

“Yeah, see you then.” I hung up the phone and stood in the empty hallway for a moment, thinking about my dear sister. Of course we’d had our share of fights and arguments but I still loved her. Enough to worry about her everyday…

 

{ Eunjin POV }

 

I placed the phone back on it’s charger and walked out of the bedroom and into the lounge room where Minhyuk was silently reading a thick book. Walking over the lounge I sat next to him and just stared. ‘It’s easy! Just ask him already!’ My conscience screamed at me. Had I really become that nervous around him?

“Um, Minhyuk?”

“Yeah.” He replied, not taking his eyes off the book in his hands.

“Well, it’s Sungjae’s birthday this weekend and I want to throw a party for him. So, I had this idea where you and I and all the guys surprise him at his dorm.” I speedily explained my plan while fiddling with my fingernails. I didn’t want him to say no as Sungjae is too important to me.

“Sure. He is your brother, you should do something special.” Minhyuk answered with a clam voice, finally setting down his book and looking at me.

“Really? You mean it? Thank you, I’ll start planning everything right now!” My head snapped up at his reply and my eyes lit up. ‘He agreed!’ I thought enthusiastically while running around the apartment searching for a notepad and pen. A soft chuckle came from the lounge room and I peeked from inside the doorframe to see Minhyuk smiling. Genuinely smiling! It had been so long since I’d seen him really look happy and my heart swelled with joy at the sight. Minhyuk had certainly hurt me in the past and present, and I don’t know what I should feel about him anymore. But right now, I only thought of him as my one and only.

 

-Saturday-

 

The weather had turned rather sour for such an event. I stared out the windscreen of Minhyuk’s car as he drove down the wet streets towards Sungjae’s dorm. The rain was coming down fast and in large splatters, causing the windscreen wipers to dart back and forth erratically. The back seat and boot was filled with decorations and supplies for the party, I had spent the whole week writing lists and making food for today. I was already feeling fatigued as this whole morning was spent rushing from store to store buying all the decorations and last minute items. It’s not like I could have snuck out of the house to buy it all; Minhyuk would have found it very suspicious if he came home one evening to find bags of streamers and balloons everywhere.

 

We pulled into the school’s car park and I realised the problem we now had to face. Getting everything to Sungjae’s dorm, which was on the other side of campus, without it getting wet. I groaned and faced Minhyuk with pleading eyes, not noticing that he had already taken out his mobile phone and called for help from the guys.

“They’ll be here in about five minutes.” He said while taking the keys out of the ignition and un doing his seatbelt. Great, we had to wait another five minutes before we had to rush through the school and into the dorm. It was currently eight fifty, and we still needed to get everything inside, and setting up would take at least an hour. We’d be lucky if we had one minute left before Sungjae walked through the door. My panicking was cut off by something warm on my hand. I jumped and looked down to see Minhyuk’s hand cradling mine in his larger one. Puzzled, I cocked my head to the side and looked at him in contemplation. ‘He’s being so gentle with me lately…’ The thought whispered in my head as he leaned in closer to me, our faces only centimetres apart. Just as our lips were about to touch, a loud knocking sound caused me to jolt back and Minhyuk to hit his head on the car roof.

 

Whipping my head around to the window I saw Ilhoon making kissy faces through the glass. Changsub and Peniel had joined in a chorus of ‘Minhyuk and Eunjin, sitting’ in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G!’ Hyunsik and Eunkwang had face palmed at their childish actions. Rolling down the window, Minhyuk reached out and flicked Ilhoon on the forehead making him collapse next the car in pain. The others just laughed at his misery.

“Need a hand?” Hyunsik asked while leaning through the window and holding out a spare umbrella. Minhyuk got out first and came around to my door and opened it for me while holding the umbrella over our heads. Quickly opening the back door, I started to hand out the boxes and bags. Grabbing the last bag, we ran into the massive school and towards the dorm. When I say the school is huge, I mean HUGE. It took us ten minutes to find the dorm as Changsub had led us down three wrong hallways and into an empty staff room. Finally reaching Sungjae’s dorm room, number 203, I knocked twice and the door opened to his friend, Jihoon. I had already arranged with Jihoon and the other boys in the dorm the party and they agreed full heartedly. We rushed into the surprisingly neat dorm and began to push tables together and blow up balloons. Sungjae’s two other friends, Dongho and Aron, were taping blue and white streamers to the walls and ceiling while Jihoon, Peniel and Ilhoon placed the food onto platters and set out cups in an impressive pyramid, though I had to wonder why they were doing that.

 

“Why are the cups set like that?” I asked quizzically while picking up all the now empty plastic bags.

“You’ll see.” The three copied in a mischievous manner while trying to stifle their laughter. I just sighed and looked around the now brilliantly decorated room. The streamers and balloons casted a blue light over the room, making it look like some sort of club. Hyunsik had plugged in his iPod to the large dock in the corner and started to select songs for the playlist. Turning to the window opposite the door, Eunkwang had just stepped down from the foot ladder with a packet of Blu-Tak in his hands. Draped over the window the words ‘Happy Birthday’ screamed out in bold electric blue letters. The place looked perfect.

 

{ Jihoon POV }

 

“Why are the cups set like that?” Eunjin noona asked in a confused manner while she started picking up the plastic bags strewn across the floor.

“You’ll see.” Peniel, Ilhoon and I sang mysteriously. ‘Just wait until she sees what we planned!’ I thought excitedly. I watched Eunjin closely as she surveyed the rest of the dorm with those bambi eyes of hers. I had only spoken with Eunjin a couple of times before, but damn, she was hot! I know she’s my friend’s sister, and that her ‘boyfriend’ is that Minhyuk dude, but does it look like I care about that? Today I’ll make my move on her and she’ll fall for me like a ton of bricks. Now I just need to get her alone…

 

{ Eunjin POV }

 

Checking my watch I did a double take after I saw the time. We had exactly three minutes before Sungjae would be back.

“We’ve only got three minutes! Hurry and finish whatever you’re doing!” I shouted while frantically running around in circles trying to think if I had forgotten anything. The dorm was now bustling with activity while everyone put away anything unnecessary and dashed to find a hiding place. Everyone was already hidden and the lights were off; I was about to jump behind the lounge when I bumped into a tall figure. I couldn’t make out their face in the dark but they felt unfamiliar. The person just grabbed my hand and pulled me behind what I assume was the lounge. Crouching down, we all waited for Sungjae to come back. Having to crouch on my knees was beginning to hurt and I could feel the mystery person breathing down my neck, which was just making me even more uncomfortable.

 

I was about to ask who the person was but the sound of keys in a lock made me alert. The door opened with a creak and the one who opened the door mumbled something incoherent. It had to be Sungjae. The lights switched on again blinding everyone for a split second before they rocketed up from their hiding places, shouting out a cheery ‘Happy Birthday, Sungjae’. Now that the lights were on I took a quick look at the mystery person. It was Jihoon. ‘Huh, Jihoon was the one…’ My thoughts were muddled until I felt someone pick me up in a tight hug and start spinning around.

“Thank you so much, noona!” Sungjae thanked me with such enthusiasm. All the spinning was making me dizzy and I had to yell to get him to put me down.

“You’re welcome. But I’m not the only one to thank.” I slurred while holding my head and leaning on the back of the lounge. Sungjae went around the room giving fist knocks and high fives to the guys.

“Now, that the birthday boy is here, lets begin the main event shall we!” Jihoon announced and ushered Peniel and Ilhoon into the kitchen. The rest of us looked at each other but we all shook our head or shrugged our shoulders. The three returned moments later with large bottles of coke under their arms, and made their way over to the pyramid of glasses on the table. ‘Oh god no…’ I thought in awe, hoping they weren’t going to do what I thought they would.

 

Ilhoon jumped onto the table and set down the bottles of coke he was juggling. Opening the first he held it up triumphantly before tipping it into the top glass. ‘Oh god they are!’ I groaned inwardly, preparing myself for the worst. I had known that Sungjae had always wanted to see this in real life, but I didn’t think his friends were stupid enough to actually do it. Minyoung and I have some bad memories of what happened when we tried this with her parent’s finest crystal…

 

The top four layers of the coke pyramid were flowing nicely and didn’t look as though they were going to spill or fall. The guys were all clapping and laughing at the sight, I didn’t find it particularly amusing but it’s a party so why not try enjoy it? Only three more layers of the pyramid were left and four of the coke bottles lay empty on the floor. Ilhoon had reached down to grab the fifth bottle when his elbow collided with one of the middle glasses. The pyramid came crashing down in an explosion of sparkling glass and coke. We just stood there for a minute staring at the mess on the floor.

“That was so cool!” Sungjae exclaimed and high fived the three masterminds. Sighing, I trudged into the kitchen to get a dustpan and paper towels. As I stood up from the cupboard under the sink I turned to face someone’s chest. Startled, I looked up to see Jihoon with a strange glint in his eyes.

“Uh…yes?” I asked nervously. My back was pressed against the sink and Jihoon was far too close for comfort. He leaned down closer and a smirk pulled at his lips. He grabbed my wrist and the dustpan dropped to the floor.

“You’re pretty hot y’know. I don’t think that Minhyuk guy deserves you.” Jihoon whispered in a matter-of-fact tone. This wasn’t right, I was scared.

“L-let me go!” I shouted hoping someone would hear me over the throng of voices coming from the lounge room. His hands on held me tighter and he leaned in close enough to touch lips. Screwing my eyes shut I prayed that someone, anyone, would come and save me. Before Jihoon could press his lips against mine he was ripped away from me.

 

My eyes flew open to see a familiar blonde headed man standing protectively in front of me, holding Jihoon by the neck.

 

“Eu-Eunkwang…”


Hey! Cliffhanger.....sort of. Sorry if the story is moving slowly, but don't worry too much. I plan to start the interesting stuff in the next two chapters or so.

Remember to comment and subscribe!