Chapter 21

I Just Don't Know Anymore

 

{ Eunjin POV }

 

Well, that went surprisingly well.

 

-Earlier That Day-

 

The door clicked shut and I peeked my head out of the kitchen before checking the time on the wall clock. Seven thirty. I had the day to myself now. After throwing the damp tea towel in the laundry sink I grabbed my handbag and headed for the elevator. The sky was clear and there was no howling wind like the other day, a perfect day. You see, I got a call yesterday from Eunkwang and well… convinced me into going on a “date” with him.

 

““It’ll be fine” he said, “Didn’t you say you liked me?” he said.” I mumbled while checking my watch for the tenth time. He said to meet in front of the shopping centre at eight, but only now it was eight thirty. I was sitting on a bench near the glass doors watching people go in and out until I nearly had a heart attack.

“Sorry I’m late.” A voice said into my ear and I nearly jumped out of my skin. Turning around very happy looking Eunkwang stood behind me.

“Don’t do that!” I said exasperatedly while whacking him on the hest.

“Come on, let’s have some fun!” He said before pulling me into the shopping centre.

 

The centre was packed so we decided to see a movie but soon I started to regret it. Eunkwang is a fan of horror movies and a new film had just come out that looked like something from my worst nightmares.

“Let’s go see that, yeah?” He asked with an eye smile that I just couldn’t refuse. I know, I’m 21 years old but I’m still afraid of some movie. Just because I’m a total wuss when it comes to that.

“Yeah….ok.” I smiled nervously and we walked to the counter to get tickets. The whole time while we waited in the dim theatre I shook uncontrollably but whenever Eunkwang asked I said it was because of the air conditioning. The lights switched off and the pre movie ads rolled. I sunk down in my seat and wrapped my arms around myself. As soon as the movie started I had my eyes glued shut and my hands pressed against my ears but it wouldn’t shut out the screams and gurgled sounds as zombies ate god know how many people. As the screams and sounds echoed through my head and I jumped every time something happened, I didn’t notice that Eunkwang was looking straight at me.

 

So, I screamed when I felt an arm circle around my shoulders. Thank god about ten other people screamed at the same time so I didn’t look like an idiot. Cracking open one eye, ready to fight off any monster, I only saw the fabric of Eunkwang’s t-shirt. Hesitantly I looked upwards but he was staring at the screen and unfortunately, it was at a really bad bit so I buried my face into his chest and tried to focus on his fluttering heartbeat. I stayed like that for the entire two and a half hour movie and once it finished I shakily ran out of the theatre, not looking behind for Eunkwang.

 

Eunkwang eventually found me cowering in the corner of the sitting area and crouched down in front of me.

“Sorry, I should have picked something better, huh?” He scratched the back of his head awkwardly before extending a hand to help me up. I took it gratefully and we walked back into the crowd and into the food court. We ordered two seafood wonton soups and ate happily despite the masses of people passing by. I was still shaking but I covered it up by eating as quickly as I could. After that we entered the arcade, I know, so kiddy but Eunkwang thought I needed to do something fun. He won most of the games but I thrashed him in a shooting game. Since I was a kid I had been pro at shooting games.

 

We were just about to leave when I bumped into someone.

“I’m so sorry.” I said but stopped short when I recognised who it was.

“Oh, Eunjin! It’s good to see you!” Ryeowook said while hugging me happily. It had been a few days since I had seen him and it was surprising to see him here of all places.

“What’re you doing here?” I asked excitedly. Ryeowook had this weird ability to make you happy in a split second.

“Just playing around. Who’s this?” He asked while gesturing to Eunkwang. Oh crap, what do I say? I can’t say he’s my boyfriend because A he isn’t and B I was with Minhyuk at the restaurant. Crap….

“I’m her-” Eunkwang started but I cut him off.

“Brother! Yeah, this is my brother, Eunkwang. Eunkwang this my friend, Ryeowook.” I gave a small wink to Eunkwang and hoped he would play along.

“Nice to meet you.” The two said and shook hands. Thank god, he bought it.

“Oh, your eye healed up nicely. I’m still really sorry about that.” Oh hell! I had completely forgotten about that whole thing! Now what was Eunkwang going to say?

“Sungjae and I were playing soccer and the ball hit me in the eye.” I said nervously, hoping he would believe me but he’s Eunkwang, he can read me like a book, remember. He just nodded and we said goodbye to Ryeowook who ran off to a group of guys.

 

“What really happened? I swear to god if it was Minhyuk-”

“No, it wasn’t.” I stopped him before he could do anything rash. “We went to dinner and a wine cork hit me in the eye. That’s why Ryeowook knows me, he was the waiter.” I said and watched as his fists relaxed again.

“It’s just…you know.” He said and I nodded sadly.

“So, what do you want to do now?” Eunkwang turned back to his cheerful self and I though for a second before thinking of a great idea.

 

 

“Are you sure?” Eunkwang asked while I set bowls, cups, spoons and anything else on the bench. I had convinced him to come back to my place and teach me how to bake. I could cook normal food but baking was not my forte. Either it was too much sugar or confusing the sugar for salt.

“Yeah. I really want to cook edible sweet stuff for once.” I said while tying my apron.

“Then we’ll do something easy. Like cheesecake…”  He said while searching the fridge and pantry for the ingredients.

 

Thankfully, we had all the right ingredients and Eunkwang took me through each step slowly. I was left in charge of making the filling so I measured each gram of cream cheese precisely before dumping it into the bowl with the sugar and blueberries. Soon my arm felt like it would fall of from the mixing so I was glad when the tray was in the oven.

“Now take it out in forty five minutes. If it’s not done then leave for another ten.” Eunkwang told me while washing his hands. It had been really nice of him to teach me but something tugged at my mind.

“Eunkwang, didn’t you tell me you worked at the bank?” I asked while putting all the bowls and measuring cups into the sink.

“Yeah…well I kinda lied.”
“Why?”

“I thought that if I said the bank we’d never come across each other.”
“Why would you make that lie, what would happen if we came across each other once?” I asked completely confused. Eunkwang looked at me with an incredulous face. ‘Oh, right…the love bit.’

 

Remembering his confession my face blazed up and I turned away. The clock on the wall chimed signalling it was five o’clock.

“I should get going now.” Eunkwang walked to the front door and slipped on his shoes. I thanked him and was brave enough to give him a tight hug before he walked out the door. I was worried at the beginning of the day that things wouldn’t go well but now I had some sort of hope that this whole thing maybe could work out.


Hey everyone! Sorry this is a little late, I had some serious writer block so I wrote two oneshots; check them out if you want.

HOLY CRAP! THE NEW SUPER JUNIOR MV 'SPY' CAME OUT TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( If you haven't already guessed from the presence of Leeteuk and Ryeowook in the story, I'm a major ELF :D )

Comments and subscriptions are much appreciated.