Chapter 22

I Just Don't Know Anymore

{ Eunkwang POV }

 

My head still buzzed from yesterday’s date as I sat at the small table in my kitchen. Admittedly, I felt bad for making Eunjin watch that movie but today I’d make it up to her.

 

The timer on the oven buzzed and I slipped on a blue oven mitt before pulling out a tray of golden brown cupcakes. Vanilla with blueberries was her favourite. I set them aside to cool while I prepared the icing. It seemed like such a girly thing to do so I just hoped she wouldn’t laugh at me. After pouring the periwinkle blue icing into an icing bag I began to expertly swirl it onto the cupcakes. Soon I had a box of cupcakes sitting on the passenger seat in my car, on my way to visit her. It would be difficult to form a proper relationship with her, I knew that. But I would “follow my heart”, I suppose you could say.

 

As I stood outside the apartment door I checked my watch to make sure Minhyuk would already be gone, and fiddled with my loose tie. Two quick knocks on the door was all it took before Eunjin’s beautiful face came into my view. She looked surprised but soon smiled brightly and pulled me inside.

“Eunkwang! It’s so good to see you.” She said with her hands clasped behind her back like a child. God, it’s hard to believe a twenty one year old could be so cute.

“You make it sound like we haven’t seen each other for years.” I laughed. I saw Eunjin eyeing the box in my hands and promptly handed it over to her. She looked at me unsurely but I just smiled and waited for her to open it.

 

“They’re so pretty! Are they for me?” She asked while her eye gleamed at the sight of the sugary treats. I nodded and she immediately rushed to the kitchen. I followed but she pushed me into the lounge room and handed me a plate with one of the cupcakes on it. We sat on the lounge and ate as a re run of some music show played.

“It’s not fair. You cook so well but I at it.” Eunjin had puffed out her cheeks and fake glared at me, which made her look like some, while adorable, weird puffer fish. I laughed and ruffled her hair before pulling her over to lean against me.

 

“So, why did you come around today?” She asked suddenly so I answered honestly.

“Because I wanted to see you. Is there something wrong with that?”

“No. I…like seeing you too.” She shook her head and whispered the last part, which made me smile with some sort of satisfaction.

“Eunjin, you know I love you right?” I asked bravely. I had to know just how serious she was about this. She became rigid and silent for a moment.

“Yes.” She answered firmly.

“Do you…love me?” The thousand dollar question. She seemed to think for a while before turning around in my arms and facing me. She looked at me seriously, like it was a life or death question; I suppose in some way it was.

“Yes. I do love you.” I felt like running into the streets and cheering like a mad man. She really does love me! Finally after suffering for so many years my dreams and wants have come true.

 

I felt a pressure on my lips and snapped back to, a slightly brighter, reality. Eunjin was willing kissing me, no hesitation or embarrassment. The whole situation seemed too perfect but I was far too elated to notice. I had been waiting, no wishing, to hear her say those three words for years, so now that she did I thought nothing would stop me. All too soon Eunjin pulled away and looked at me wistfully before tapping the tip of my nose. Confused I touched my nose but my finger made contact with a dab of blue icing. I looked up at Eunjin who was now standing with cupcake icing coating her fingers. Oh, so that’s what she’s getting at.

 

I swiped my finger across the top of the cupcake and ran it down her cheek, leaving a pale blue line. It went on like that for at least ten minutes until we collapsed on the floor, our arms and faces covered in icing. I rolled onto my side but Eunjin was gone so I sat up and looked around the lounge room but it was empty. I was about to stand up but a wet cloth hurtled at my face and caused me to fall backwards. I peeled it off my face to see Eunjin laughing and pointing at me.

“What’s so funny?” I asked pretending to be angry.

“Your face.” She added smartly before wiping her face and arms with a beige cloth.

“Ha ha ha. Sit down I’ll make lunch.” I laughed sarcastically before pushing her to sit on the lounge.

“Stop cooking! You’ll make me fat.” She pouted as she flicked through TV channels.

 

I pulled out pots and pans from the cupboards and heated the stove top. After spending so much time here I’d come to know where everything was paled in the kitchen. It dawned on me that the two of us acted like an actual couple, which made me smile broadly as I picked a spatula out of the drawer.

 

After spending half an hour or so in the kitchen, I walked back into the lounge room with two plates in my hands. I placed one in front of Eunjin and we ate in silence but it wasn’t awkward. Isn’t there a saying that if you can eat with someone and not say a word to each, but it’s not awkward you have a strong relationship? So, what if you can spend hours together and not talk but still it’s not awkward? Well, I would just have to find out.

 

From noon till dusk we sat next to each other and stared at the TV. It wasn’t awkward; in fact it was nice to have some peace. I don’t know when but Eunjin had fallen asleep on my shoulder. I checked my watch and saw I needed to be out of the apartment before six when Minhyuk would be home, but her sleeping face kept me put. Staying a little longer wouldn’t matter too much and I soon found my eyes growing heavy, so I shut them and fell into a peaceful sleep with my love in my arms.

 

 

 

A loud knock on the door woke me up and I lazily looked at my watch for the second time today. Ten past six. Oh god no. I jumped up from the lounge and Eunjin slid off from my shoulder and hit the lounge cushions.

“What is it?” She asked groggily while rubbing her eyes.

“Minhyuk’s at the door.” I said grimly while pulling on my jacket. Her eyes flew open and she stood up and started running around like a head chicken. I grabbed her arm and stood her in front of me; panic was rampant in her eyes.

“Listen, just tell him I came to borrow a movie and I was just leaving. I know it’s a weak excuse but it’s better than the truth.” I said firmly before quickly kissing her and pushing her to the front door where Minhyuk was just opening the door.

 

“Thanks a lot for letting me borrow the DVD- Oh hey, Minhyuk! I was just leaving, I’ll se you later” I lied cheerfully as I walked past Minhyuk and out the door. He looked at me suspiciously and I could tell he didn’t like my presence here when he wasn’t around. I just hoped Eunjin would be safe when I wasn’t there to protect her.

 

 I started my car and prepared to drive back to my place. It had been a close call and I had to be sure it wouldn’t happen next time. Hopefully there would be a next time.


Hello again! Oh ho, the big three words! Tell me what you think, yeah?

Comments and subscriptions are much appreciated.