Chapter 23

I Just Don't Know Anymore

{ Eunjin POV }

 

My buzzed excitedly on the bedside table which distracted me from the novel I had been reading out of pure boredom. My heart began to beat faster and I smile pulled at my lips I once the caller ID.

“Hello?” I asked even though I already knew who was on the other end.

“Are you doing anything tomorrow night?” Eunkwang asked. What an odd question to ask, of course I wouldn’t be doing anything tomorrow night!

“What do you think?” I asked smartly while closing the bedroom door so Minhyuk wouldn’t hear our conversation.

“Very funny. Anyway I think we should go a step further.” He laughed sarcastically first but his tone soon became serious. A step further? What does that mean?
“What do you mean?”

“Well…I want you to stay at my place tomorrow night.” He said bravely but my mouth nearly hit the floor. Was he stupid?!

“Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds? You know that’s impossible.” I said but I really did wish it was possible.

“Say you’re staying at Minyoung’s, he can’t keep you trapped in that apartment for the rest of your life.” He said it like it was nothing but I hadn’t slept over anyone’s house since high school, he’d never let me go.

“Wanna bet? I’m telling you he won’t let me.”

“So you don’t want to spend time with me?” Eunkwang asked glumly and I could tell he was really hoping I’d agree.

 

“Listen, I want that to happen just as much as you do, but it can’t happen.” I sighed as I flopped down on the bed. God, everything is so difficult these days.

“So we’re going to keep seeing each other in the middle of the day, never have the opportunity to actually be close to each other and wear glasses and hats when we got out like some celebrity? How much longer can this go on?” He was right. This whole secret love thing can’t continue forever, we’d either be caught or it would become too much. But how can I ask Minhyuk that?

“But what do I say?” I asked while my eyes filled with tears on frustration.

“Just say Minyoung wants you to stay the night at her place tomorrow.”

“What if he says no?” My tears began to spill over but I roughly wiped them away; how can I be so emotional over something like this?

“He wont’. He can’t deny you the freedom to see your friend.” For a moment I actually believed him but the hardest part was still to come.

“Okay…I’ll text you later.” I said into the receiver before taking a large breath to calm myself.

“Okay. Eunjin…I love you.” His words rang sweet in my ears and I only hoped Minhyuk would agree.

“I love you too. I’ll see you later.” I flipped my phone closed and headed for the door while rehearsing my lines in my head.

 

As I placed my hand on the doorknob, the door flew open to reveal Minhyuk standing on the other side. Oh god no, don’t tell me he heard! He looked blankly at me but I swear I could have seen some sort of angry gleam in his eyes. I stood there frozen until he walked past me and grabbed a pair of earphones from his bedside table. He didn’t say anything and exited the room as quickly as he came.

“Um, Minhyuk?” I called meekly as he walked back down the hallway. He turned back around and stared at me. I clenched my hands and swallowed my fear.

“Can I stay at Minyoung’s tomorrow night?” I asked while my eyes were scrunched shut and I dug my fingers into my palms.

 

I waited for seemed like hours until I heard a grunt. I cracked an eye open to see Minhyuk grunt again and nod. My eyes must have lit up and I literally felt like bursting into a massive smile but I had to try and look inconspicuous. He didn’t ask any more details and left for the lounge room again. Luck must have been on my side for the first time in years! I rushed back into the bedroom and excitedly texted Eunkwang letting him know the spectacular news and almost immediately he replied with a hundred smilies and the time he’d pick me up.

 

I pulled a large tote bag out from underneath the bed and began stuffing it full of clothes and whatever else I’d need before placing it in the corner of the room. The whole time a smile was plastered on my face at the though of being able to spend two whole days with Eunkwang. As I went to sleep that night I couldn’t help but feel excited by the fact that I would be staying with him, with no interruptions, just the two of us for what would hopefully be a long two days.

 

 

The next morning I woke up an hour earlier than usual and double checked my bag before rummaging through my wardrobe for a suitable outfit. Minhyuk had woken up a few minutes after me and did his usual routine before waiting for me at the front door. He nodded his head and turned to leave but stopped and looked back at me. His eyes had that same blank yet angry look he had last night. I tried to act normal as he finally left and ran back into the bedroom once I was sure he had left the building.

 

Last night Eunkwang had said he’d pick me up at ten, and it was now eight so I had to wait an agonising two hours before I could finally be at peace. I paced the apartment about five times before giving up and settling on watching some cooking show. Finally, after sitting through a drawn out explanation of how to properly cook kimchi, the doorbell rang and I practically ran to the door. Of course, Eunkwang stood on the other side with a pair of aviator sunglasses on that suited him so well it was criminal.

“Ready to go?” He asked and I nodded erratically like one of those bobble head figures you see on people’s dashboards. I ran into the bedroom and grabbed my bag but almost tripped on a bag strap that stuck out from under the bed.

 

We quickly got in his car and sped off towards his luxury apartment. I had since begun to feel very nervous; I had slept over people’s houses before but never a guy’s. I know it sounds stupid to be nervous over something small like this but no matter how much I trusted Eunkwang, I couldn’t shake the feeling that Minhyuk would find out. Soon enough we arrived and made the awkward elevator trip to his floor. As soon as I stepped inside I became overwhelmed by the whole situation. Eunkwang must’ve noticed because he folded me into his arms in a comforting hug.

“I won’t do anything you don’t want. I promise.” He was right, again. I knew Eunkwang wouldn’t do anything to me that I didn’t want, so I was just overreacting. I nodded against his chest and he let me go with a smile.

 

“So, I got all the ingredients for dinner and rented some movies, not horror ones, and heaps of chocolate.” He spread his arms wide as if he were presenting something. I laughed and thanked him; at least I wouldn’t look like a total wuss in front of him again.

“Uh, where can I put my bag?” I asked while holding it up.

“You can put it in my room. I’ll show you.” He lead the way down a short hallway and opened the last door which lead to his large yet near empty bedroom. After putting my bag at the end of his bed we decided on an action movie and settled in to watch it. It went on like that for hours, just us and a bowl of M&M’s, laughing and yelling at the TV. The whole time Eunkwang kept his arm around me in a gesture Minhyuk could never replicate.

 

After we finished the fourth movie Eunkwang declared it was time for dinner and left for the kitchen but I followed like a lost puppy.

“I know my cooking skills are nothing to brag about like yours, but I can do this much.” I said boldly when he looked at me questioningly as I pulled out a few bowls. He handed me a couple of eggs and told me to lightly beat them with some milk. Soon the kitchen was filled with an array of aromas and the only noise was the spatula against the pan and the TV. After about forty minutes we had settled back onto the lounge with a bowl each of steaming pasta that I had never heard of before but ate it anyway. As usual, Eunkwang’s cooking skills were unbeatable. After we had finished we went back to the movies, except this time it was a romance. For me it became extremely awkward and I had no idea why. After sneaking a glance at Eunkwang I had confirmed that I was over thinking everything and needed to act mature and not like some love struck teenager.

 

Startling me, Eunkwang placed his hand on my cheek and moved my face towards him. It came as quite a shock when he pressed his lips on mine without hesitation. But we said we loved each other so of course he wouldn’t hesitate. Soon I had wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him closer. It felt comforting to be this close to him and I never wanted to be apart from him, but if only that were possible.

 

 

{ Minhyuk POV }

 

The apartment was empty by the time I arrived home from work.  It had been another crap day and I was left to a dark apartment by myself. I had gotten a notice from my boss that if I didn’t change my attitude quickly I’d be fired; great, just what I need right now. Eunjin was gone for the night so I had no one to even look at. I just hoped she was safe and not out doing something dangerous. I didn’t trust those two together but I can’t keep her chained to the apartment twenty four seven; but sometimes I feel like I have to.

 

As I threw my suit jacket on the bed I walked towards the bathroom but my foot caught on something. I looked down to see a bag strap protruding out from under the bed. Out of sheer curiosity I pulled the strap to see it was attached to a black backpack; nothing out of the usual. But as I pulled it out something else came about with it. Something white and fluffy stuck out from under the bed and I slowly pulled it out to see it was a rabbit doll. It was familiar, Eunjin had asked me to buy it for her but I had no money at the time and later forgot about it.

 

But how could she have it? Unless, she went out and bought it herself. Or someone else bought it for her. But who could have bought it and how did they know she wanted it? So many questions went through my head but one stuck like glue. ‘What if that someone were another man?’  My blood boiled at the thought but I couldn’t fathom it; I mean how can she even meet another man…unless she leaves during the day. Before I could do anything rash, I took the rabbit doll to the kitchen and removed it’s yellow ribbon before shoving it in the oven and turning the dial to two hundred. I can’t have her being with anyone else and she has to know that.


Hello Hello! So sorry for the late update, I had a serious case of writer's block. I hope this chapter wasn't too boring for you. I know a lot of you must be getting really annoyed with me making Minhyuk the bad guy, but please stick with me! I hope that by the end everyone will be happy with the ending.

Comments and subscriptions are much appreciated.