Chapter 1

I Just Don't Know Anymore

 

{ Eunjin’s POV }

 

His hand raked across my cheek as I stood against the front door. My face stung as I held back the tears that blurred my vision. ‘What have I done now?’ I screamed in my head, afraid to let out even a whimper. That would only enrage him further. Minhyuk lowered his hand and breathed out roughly, his eyes staring me down.

“I’ve told you before, you’re not to talk to any man other than me or my friends.” Minhyuk said between his teeth as he turned and stormed into the lounge room, turning on the TV to the evening news.

 

I sank to the floor and gingerly touched my cheek; it would be purple by tomorrow. I don’t understand what I had done wrong. Only half an hour ago I was sitting in the park with Minhyuk, his friends and my brother, Sungjae.


 

The sky was clear of any clouds and the sun shined brightly, giving the grass a light glow. Some kids were running around playing games and their parents watched with smiles on their faces. It was a rare occasion where I was allowed out and I drank up every second of it. I sat in the sunshine and watched Minhyuk and the rest of the boys play soccer. Ilhoon scored a goal and Sungjae, being on the other team and naturally competitive, pouted and muttered to himself something about “letting him score.”

 

Once the boys were gasping for air and lying on the ground from exhaustion we headed to a small café for lunch. I walked over and helped Sungjae up from the ground.

“Thanks, Noona.” He smiled happily, dusted himself off and ran over to Changsub, tackling him playfully. I laughed at his childishness but my laughter quickly died. ‘If only I could still have freedom…’ The same thought had been echoing in my mind for a long time now. ‘My freedom has been taken from me-‘

“Eunjin!”

 My thoughts were interrupted by someone calling my name. I looked up to see Minhyuk waving me over. I quickly ran to his side and tried to act natural. He grabbed my hand and intertwined his fingers with mine, I flinched.

“What’s wrong? Did you hurt your hand or something?” He asked me with fake concern. ‘I didn’t,  but you did.’ I thought bitterly

“No, I’m fine.” I said sweetly and smiled at him. If I ever let anyone know about what went on behind closed doors, there would be hell to pay. I hated having to fake it but it's what I had to do to avoid getting hurt.

 

As we walked down the street I listened to the boy’s conversations and roaring laughter. While I was uncomfortable around Minhyuk I liked his friends. They were all really nice and funny, they always managed to make things a little bit brighter in my dull world. When the café came into sight something furry brushed against my leg.

“Hey! Stop that dog!” Someone shouted from behind me. I pulled out of Minhyuk’s hand and caught the end of the dog’s leash. It ran towards me and jumped at my legs and yipped cutely. I turned around to see a young man, probably around my age, jogging towards me.

“Thank you so much! His leash slipped out of my hand.” The man said while shyly rubbing the back of his neck.

“You’re welcome. He’s really cute!” I exclaimed and scratched the dog’s head. I had always loved dogs and this one was just precious. The boys had stopped and looked in my direction. Minhyuk strutted towards the man and I and with a stiff face. He held my hand tightly, his fingers digging into my flesh, and glared at the man in front of me. He must have taken the hint as he quickly thanked me again then scurried off with the dog in his arms.

“Let’s go now.” Minhyuk said coldly and dragged me by the hand into the café. ‘Why is he acting like this? All I did was catch that dog.’

 

I ate quietly while the others were laughing loudly and playing table games. As I took a sip of my coke I saw Eunkwang look at me intently. I put my drink down and leaned forward,

“Is there something on my face?” I asked him with a serviette in my hand.

“Huh? Oh, no. I was looking at the poster behind you…” He sounded surprised but then lowered his voice to a whisper, turning back to the conversation about the appropriate way to burp in a formal situation with Hyunsik and Sungjae. ‘That was odd.’ I thought with a confused loo plastered onto my face.

 

After we had finsiheds eating Minhyuk and I bid farewell to the others as they left for home. I hugged Sungjae goodbye and he ran off towards the dorm he was staying in. Sungjae did not live with me as I live with Minhyuk; he lives in a school dorm. The sun was now setting and the sky was an array of pinks and oranges, casting tall shadows along the street. Minhyuk and I walked in silence towards our apartment. Now I was getting really uncomfortable, Minhyuk just looked straight ahead with a hard expression. I could tell he was pissed, he practically radiated anger. But I couldn’t help but think back to the café and Eunkwang’s eyes staring at me. I still don’t understand why he was looking at me like that but I brushed it off as nothing important.

 

He unlocked the front door to the apartment and stepped out of his shoes. I meekly followed and slipped of my ballet flats, then turned to close the door. As soon as I faced the hallway a hand flew into the side of my face. I sank to the floor and looked up at my harasser, my torturer, my boyfriend. This was not the first time Minhyuk had hit me, I had received many slaps, kicks and shoves in my time with him. I have scars to prove it. My cheek stung and tears filled my eyes. Minhyuk breath came out roughly and he spoke with threatening seriousness.

“I’ve told you before. You’re not to talk to any man other than me or my friends.” Minhyuk said between his teeth as he turned and stormed into the lounge room, turning on the TV to the evening news. I could control my tears no longer and they spilled over and fell to the floor. I held my faceand cried into my hands. You would think that after all the beatings I had received before I’d be immune to the pain. No. It hurts more than ever. But what can I do about it?

 

 

Nothing

 

 

I’m trapped and if I try to escape the hunter will kill me. I know it.


Hey! So how was the first chapter? I apologise if it was boring. I promise it will get more interesting soon.

Thanks for reading! Comments and subsriptions are much appreciated.