Chapter 2

I Just Don't Know Anymore

 

{ Eunkwang POV }

 

I love her. That’s all I know. And I’ve loved her for a long time now…

 

 


 

Minhyuk and I walked down the halls of our high school, Cube High. I suppose you could say we were the kingkas, as we had endless popularity and a disturbingly active fan club. Minhyuk had been my best friend since our first year in high school. Along the way we had also met Hyunsik, Peniel, Ilhoon and Changsub. We were inseparable as we had almost every class together and sat at the same table in the courtyard everyday.  I didn’t particularly enjoy all the attention we garnered, I felt as though people only liked us for our looks. Though there was one girl who wasn’t some screaming fan, she was in my math class. I had never really noticed her before but once out teacher gave us a seating plan, and I was placed next to her, she triggered my interest…

 

“Eunkwang, you’re to sit next to Eunjin.” My math teacher, Mr. Han, called out while checking names of the roll. I stood up and looked around for the Eunjin girl. I sighed and prepared myself for an onslaught of probing questions and shameless flirting. I spotted someone wave their hand once at me from the other side of the room, it must have been that Eunjin girl. Shuffling my feet across the dirty bottle green carpet, I sat heavily in my new seat, only turning to the girl to nod my head in acknowledgement once. She just returned my nod and turned away to stare out of the window with a bored expression.

“Okay class, open up your textbooks to page seventy eight and start on those questions!” Mr. Han announced in his unnaturally booming voice.

Eunjin leaned over the side of the desk and took out her large textbook., slamming it on the table in the process, causing Mr. Han to look up from his magazine. ‘Crap! I forgot my stupid textbook.’ I thought angrily. Great, I’d have to share with the girl. I tapped her shoulder and she looked up from her exercise book with a slightly annoyed expression.

“Yes?” She said with an edge to her voice.

“Um, I forgot my textbook… Could I share yours?” I asked blandly. Even if she wasn’t some fan girl, she was rather sour. Instead of replying she just pushed the book into the middle of the table so I could see it. I mumbled a ‘thanks’ and started the first question on quadratic equations.

 

Every math lesson after that I forgot my textbook, just so I could share hers. Slowly she opened up and talked to me, and after a while I invited her to sit with me and my friends at lunch. I could tell she was nervous when I asked her that but assured her they wouldn’t mind. The bell rang shrilly and Eunjin, along with her friend Minyoung, followed me to my usual table where my friends had already gathered around. The first person to notice Eunjin’s presence was Hyunsik, who gave her his famous eye smile that made her cheeks glow a light pink. The guys all introduced themselves and Eunjin gave her name with a small smile. Minhyuk was extra charismatic when introducing himself. ‘He’s such a show off sometimes.’ I thought with a ghost of a smile, happy that he was comfortably talking with the opposite gender again. You see, his last relationship didn’t end well… Minyoung just said her name quickly and took a seat next to Changsub, not even looking up from her lunchbox. ‘Jeez, she seems friendly.’ I thought sarcastically. Lunch went by smoothly, with the exception of Minyoung’s darkening aura, and Eunjin became more comfortable around us. ‘She doesn’t even seem to notice all the girls glaring daggers at her…”

 

This went on for a while until I noticed something different. I would take closer notice of Eunjin. I looked closely at her when she spoke and listened intently. Every word seemed to have some sort of charm that only made me more intrigued. I noticed how her hair curled slightly at the ends how her fringe covered the tops of her eyes. It just seemed that everything about her reeled me in. Then I realised. I was in love with Eunjin. I don’t know how I fell in love with her; all I know is that I had to make her mine.

 

Valentines Day. Today would be the day I’d confess to Eunjin. I did not have math that day, which meant I couldn’t see her until lunch. The night before I had paced my room trying to find the right words to express my feelings. If it sounded too dramatic or sappy she’d laugh at me. If I didn’t sound sincere enough, she’d reject me. Finally, after three excruciating hours of thinking, I had figured out what to say. Going to sleep that night I felt as though nothing could hinder me.

 

Little did I know someone had beaten me to it…

 

The first two periods of school seemed to drag by at a snail’s pace. When the shrill bell finally rang, I jumped up from my seat and rushed out of the classroom, ignoring the crowd of girls who tried to get me to accept their Valentines gifts. Only one girl would have my heart. I ran to my locker and fumbled with the padlock before ripping the door open and grabbing the single red rose I had hid in there this morning. Attached to it was a pure white ribbon and a small note that I had carefully poured my feelings into.

 

I had planned to find Eunjin at our usual table and take her to a quiet corner of the school before giving her my confession. But as I approached the table I saw that Eunjin was missing. Ilhoon was being mobbed by girls while Changsub, Peniel and Hyunsik tried to escape into the library. Expertly weaving past the screaming mass of bodies I caught Peniel’s shoulder and stopped him from escaping.

“Do you know where Eunjin is?” I asked, slightly jittery. I can’t let this chance go.

“Eunjin? She went off with Minhyuk a few minutes ago. Why, do you need her for something? Or have you got a confession to make?” Peniel said wiggling his eyebrows while eyeing the rose in my hand.

“No! I mean- um, just forget it!” I called over my shoulder as I sprinted back into the corridors. I heard a faint ‘Good luck!’ and smirked, silently thanking Peniel.

 

My footsteps echoed off the walls as my shoes smacked the ground with each step I took. ‘She has to be somewhere inside the school!’ I shouted inwardly, starting to panic at the fact that I may not find her right now. Turning a corner I spotted two figures in the otherwise empty hallway. Stepping closer I saw the figures were Eunjin and Minhyuk. Minhyuk had a determined look on his face and Eunjin was looking at her feet, while her face was a bright red. ‘What’s going on here?’ The obvious question crossed through my mind before a movement on Minhyuk’s behalf brought me back to my senses. He had placed his hands on either side of her face was leaning in, about to kiss her. Within a second his lips had locked on hers and his arms found their way to her waist. ‘No… How…’ My thoughts could not even begin to articulate themselves as I slowly backed away from the scene in front of me, in opened my mouth to say something, anything, but nothing came out.

 

I dropped the rose and ran out of the school and into some unknown park where I sat on the bottom of the slide and put my head in my hands. ‘How could I have not noticed? God, I’m so ing stupid!’. All this time Minhyuk had been getting closer to Eunjin and I was too blind to see it. I lost my chance. Now she would be with my best friend instead of me. My heart felt as though it would shatter into a million pieces at any second. It hurt, and I wouldn’t stop hurting. Maybe this was just some stupid teenage infatuation but I didn’t care; I had finally found a girl who was everything I had ever wanted. And now she would be in the arms of Minhyuk. But that would not stop me, even if I couldn’t touch her I could still look at her and think about her. The decision was simple; my love would be silent and never voiced. I’d love her from afar and everything would be the same between Minhyuk and I…

 

 


 

 And that’s how it’s stayed for four years now. No matter how much I hated it, or how much I yearned for her, it would stay that way forever…

 

 

 

 


Hello again! So, how was the second chapter? Sorry if it was really boring but I felt the need to explain some things.  

P.S I read over the first chapter again and noticed so many grammatical mistakes, I'm really sorry! I'll try much harder and edit properly.

Thanks for reading, remember to comment and subscribe!