Chapter 17

I Just Don't Know Anymore

{ Eunjin POV }

 

I was sitting on the floor in the bathroom with the door locked. I had been sitting here with the dress Eunkwang had bought me for about an hour now. ‘That’s it. I can’t handle it anymore.’ I wasn’t going to stand for it, it would kill me. As soon as we arrived back at the apartment I ran into the bedroom, grabbed the box from under the bed and locked myself in the on suite. God knows where Minhyuk was but did I give a damn? The bracelet on my wrist felt more like a collar, or a brand. I didn’t want to be in Minhyuk’s presence anymore and I seriously contemplated running away again but I knew he’s find me. Or I could turn him into police, but who’s to say he won’t get off with a fine or admission to some run down rehab centre where he could easily get out and come after me?

 

I sighed and attempted to close my eyes but my right eye was throbbing so much from my new injury. It wasn’t Ryeowook’s fault, I knew that. I felt so sorry for him- no I don’t feel sorry for him, I’m absolutely furious at Minhyuk though. I would never be able to get him to apologise but I would do my part. I lifted myself off the bathroom floor and unlocked the door with a click. I slowly opened the door in fear of finding Minhyuk standing on the other side. The bedroom was dark and the whole apartment was silent. I tip toed into the lounge room and saw Minhyuk asleep on the lounge. I stalked back into the bedroom and shut the door before flopping down on the bed. I knew I wouldn’t be able to sleep tonight.

 

I folded the dress back up again and placed the box in the bottom of one of my drawers before reaching under the bed and pulling out the giant rabbit plushie Eunkwang had bought me. ‘He’s bought me more than what Minhyuk has in the last four years.’  I hugged it tightly and stared at the ceiling. Is this really how my life is going to turn out? All this drama was taking its toll on me so I eventually closed my eyes and fell into a restless sleep.

 

 

 

The sky was an orange-gold colour and the stalks of hay swayed rhythmically in the breeze. I sat on a weather aged wooden bench and admired the view. It really was what I had always wanted in my life; a nice, quiet place to live with someone special. It had been a dream since I started high school to have a god career, live peacefully and have a family. But of course that hadn’t happened; I was starting to realise that nothing ever came to me, I had to work myself to the bone for everything. But even that got me nothing.

 

The bench creaked when someone sat down next to me. I tore my eyes off the scenery and glanced at the person next to me. It was a man, Eunkwang to be exact. He didn’t look at me and but stared at the bracelet on my wrist. So I was still wearing it.

“I don’t know what to do.” I said quietly while looking towards the horizon. ‘Maybe the grass is greener on the other side…’  I thought with a sigh.

“Don what your heart says.” Eunkwang said as if it were the easiest thing in the world.

““Follow my heart”? Are you kidding me? I’d like to believe in your drama grade advice but it’s not that easy.” I scoffed and leaned back against the bench. The breeze blew by harder and Eunkwang stood up before turning to look at me.

“Just try…” He whispered pleadingly before walking off down the slight hill and into the hay fields. I was left there trying to deal with all the conflicting emotions I had stirring inside me.

 

 

A bang in the kitchen made me stir in bed and I opened my eyes to meet with the bedroom ceiling. The clock on the bedside table said it was seven forty, so Minhyuk should be about to leave for work. I sat up and saw my arms were still wrapped tightly around the rabbit plushie. It little black eyes stared at me with joy but I couldn’t return the feeling. I got up and pulled a shirt out of the wardrobe and grabbed the new pair of jeans I had bought yesterday. I walked slowly into the on suite but jumped when I saw myself in the mirror. My left eye had swollen and it was a lovely shade of purple. ‘Great, I’m going to be half blind for a while.’  I changed lazily and brushed the bird’s nest called my hair. There was no point in covering up my eye so I splashed some cold water on it to relieve a bit of the throbbing.

 

I stood at the bedroom door and pressed my ear against the wood, listening for any sign of Minhyuk. It all sounded quiet so I unlocked the door and peeked my head out. The hallway was empty so I cautiously entered the lounge room, which was also empty. Good, he was gone for the day. I switched the TV on and made a quick breakfast. It was eight thirty by the time I walked into the elevator and I knew I would be out for a little while. Like always, the street was mostly quiet expect for a few passing cars and people. The trip would take about an hour on foot so I caught a bus. I sat in an empty seat and stared out the frosty window. Winter was certainly on its way.

 

The bus rumbled along the street at a steady pace for forty minutes before I got off at a stop in front of some large corporate building. It would take another ten minutes before I would get there so I ambled along the foot path at a relaxed pace. The air was cool and I only passed one person this time. It seemed that this wasn’t a popular day entertainment area. Soon the restaurant came into view and I was relieved to see it was open. Now to find who I’m looking for.

 

The door tinkled when I pushed it open and a young woman came up to me.

“Hello, how are you today?” She asked over excitedly.

“I’m fine thank you.” I replied quietly, slightly taken aback by her bright attitude.

“Just one? If you’ll follow me-”

“Actually I’m looking for someone. Maybe you could help me?” I stopped her before she could drag me to a table. Hopefully he’s working today.

 

“Ryeowook! There’s someone here for you.” The girl announced when she entered the staff room. It was a small white room with a bench and a table and chairs set to the left. Ryeowook was sitting at the table with a cup of coffee and a book. He looked surprised at first but he smiled sadly at me once he recognised who I was. His right eye and cheek were bruised and his eye was swollen shut; just like mine.

“Please let me apologise on behalf of my friend.” I did a ninety degree bow but sort of hoped he didn’t accept it. Minhyuk doesn’t deserve to be forgiven and I would no longer call him my ‘boyfriend’.

“It’s okay. I’m fine so you shouldn’t worry.” He replied and placed a hand on my shoulder. I straightened my back and stared at him; I felt like crying but I didn’t know why. He just stared back with sad eyes.

“I’m not going to push it, but I guess you don’t want to be with him anymore?” I didn’t reply but I think he knew the answer. He was spot on though.

“Take a seat.” Ryeowook pulled out a chair and poured me a cup of coffee. I felt like I could trust him so I gladly sat down and soon we were in an avid conversation. Maybe I just got myself a new friend?


Hey everyone! So sorry about the wait, I'm having some serious writer's block! I hope this wasn't too disappointing.

Comments and subscriptions are much appreciated.