Chapter 16

I Just Don't Know Anymore

{ Eunjin POV }

 

“Love isn’t something you can give out freely.” I had heard that saying a countless number of times in my life but I never thought much about it. But here I find myself contemplating it’s meaning; maybe it’s a saying that relates to me. I was certain Minhyuk loved Haesun despite what she did but that made me wonder what my role in his life was. If he really cared about me he wouldn’t  treat me like this. I was sitting cross legged on the bed when my phone chimed loudly. It was a text message from Minyoung. ‘Want to go out tomorrow to celebrate? :D’ What are we celebrating? I didn’t really feel like partying at the moment. I sent her back a text and she replied almost immediately. ‘It’s our birthday tomorrow! Are you on drugs?’ Oh, that’s why she wants to celebrate. I had forgotten my own birthday! Well, I would be a bad friend if I said no so I’ll comply, even though I wasn’t feeling up to it.

 

-Tomorrow-

 

Thank god it’s a Wednesday which means Minhyuk will be working so I can sneak out with Minyoung. We agreed to meet at the same little café I had been to with Eunkwang and the guys then we’d go shopping. Minhyuk had left ten minutes ago while I was watching the TV but I was purposely acting cold. ‘I doubt he even knows it’s my birthday.’  To be honest I never really liked my birthdays; they just seemed like a lot of fuss over nothing. Planning other people’s birthday parties was a different story.

 

I had dressed nicely in a pale green dress with light brown flats and a cardigan; it was getting a little chilly nowadays. The sky was a flat gray and a light breeze went by as I walked down the nearly deserted street. I always had the worst weather when it came to birthdays, it was either too hot or cold and rainy. I had begun to memorise the streets now so it only took a few minutes to arrive at the café and I spotted Minyoung standing next to the door talking to someone I didn’t recognise. I walked closer and saw she was talking to a man, he looked only a year or two older than me, but he looked kind of familiar.

“Eunjin! Come over here.” Minyoung had seen me and was waving widely at me. I put on a smile and jogged over to the two. Now that I was standing to next to him I knew I had seen him before but I just couldn’t figure out where.

“Eunjin happy birthday! Big 21 year old dongsaeng; you’re making me feel old!” Minyoung hugged me tightly but pouted at the end.

“You’re only a year older than me, ahjumma.” I added at the end with a smile that earned me a light whack on the head.

“I’m not old! And if anyone here’s old it’s him!” She pointed to the man beside her and he extended a hand to shake. I took it even though I still had no idea who he was.

“Well, I should be off now, see you later Minyoung. Happy birthday Eunjin.” He waved at Minyoung and threw a wink my way before strutting off down the street. Okay, now I was confused. Sure, he was really handsome and everything but who the hell was he?!

“Who was that?” I asked quickly as we walked into the café. Minyoung stopped abruptly and stared at me like I was a complete idiot.

“Are you kidding me?! You’ve known me for how many years but you don’t know who that was?” She looked at me incredulously while a waitress came and sat us at a table next to the window. I just shook my head at Minyoung while I poured myself a glass of water.

“He’s my brother, Leeteuk!” I almost choked on the water and had to take a gasp of air before talking breathlessly.

“That was Jungsu?! What the hell, he’s eight years older than you but he looks like that?!” How in the world can a twenty eight year old look so young? Unless he had plastic surgery or botox but I didn’t think he looked at all plastic.

“Jeez, keep up with the times, Eunjin. And to think you’re my best friend.”

“Whatever, let’s just order.” I smiled at the menu. You learn something new everyday.

 

After about ten minutes our food arrived and I must say it looked awesome. I ordered a slice of blueberry cheesecake while Minyoung ordered a giant slice of chocolate cake, which was surprising as she was a stickler for calories but she just replied “It’s a time for celebration.”.

“The chef wishes you a happy birthday.” The waitress said to me before leaving for another table. Chef? How does the chef know it’s my birthday? I looked curiously at Minyoung but she just shrugged her shoulders at me and dug into her cake. An hour later we had finishes our food and Minyoung went to pay while I waited outside. I looked at my watch and saw it was almost one, which meant we had three hours before I needed to get home. Minyoung emerged from the store and we headed off to the shopping centre. The next two and a half hours comprised of going in and out of countless stores, being forced to try on clothes that Minyoung picked out, questions over what Minhyuk bought me today and I even snuck in a question concerning Jungsu and botox.

“No, he’s just lucky I guess.” Minyoung said absently while scanning a rack of party dresses. We eventually emerged from the shopping centre with a few bags; I had only bought a new pair of jeans while Minyoung cleaned out a whole store. We walked together until we had to part ways and we said our goodbyes. I was really thankful for Minyoung, I didn’t want to go out at first but I’m glad I did in the end. Nothing could ruin my day.

 

As expected the walk home was quiet and I was at peace for once. I said hello to the old couple who lived in the same apartment block as I entered the elevator and pushed the button for my floor. As I walked to the door I almost tripped on a large flat box that was placed in front of it. What idiot decided to throw a box at my door? On a closer inspection I saw it was gift wrapped and a tag was attached. I threw open the door and ran to the bedroom. I placed the shopping bag on the bed and gently pulled the periwinkle blue ribbon that was tied expertly around the box. The contents were wrapped in blue tissue paper and a card sat on top of it. It was simple white with silver glitter stars and a short message was written inside: Look at the stars, look how they shine for you, and everything that  you do. I hadn’t heard that song in years but it was one of my favourites. There was no name on the card but I could guess who it was from. I lifted away the tissue paper and it revealed a dress, but not just any dress, it was the dress I had admired that day when I ran from the apartment and Eunkwang found me. The fabric was soft and a light cream colour with small beads sewn around the neckline. It was simply gorgeous. And knowing he bought it for me made my heart beat faster.

 

Minhyuk arrived home at five as usual but he only took of his tie and pulled me up from the lounge and out the door.
“We’re going out for dinner.” He stated as he ushered me into his car. Oh so he does know it’s my birthday. He drove silently and pulled up out the front of a rather expensive looking restaurant. The waiting area was nearly empty besides an old rich looking couple who looked down their noses at me. ‘What? Am I dressed to your standards?’ I was still wearing the green dress I had gone out in this morning; I would be a fool to wear the dress Eunkwang bought me in front of Minhyuk. The maitre d’ took us to a table near the back next to a large window that overlooked the city. The view was much more beautiful than from the other restaurant we went to with Mum, Dad and Sungjae. The whole atmosphere of the place was subdued and light chatter flowed through the place, but our table was silent. I couldn’t get over the fact that he loves Haesun is such a way that before I had no idea but now it is so obvious; and that made me feel cheap like some plastic toy you get in a Happy Meal. Our waiter for the evening was a young man who looked rather nervous; it must have been his first night on the job. He was actually pretty cute.

“Hello, my name is Ryeowook and I’ll be your waiter this evening. What can I get you both?” He asked with a nervous smile on his face. I felt sorry for him as Minhyuk emitted some sort of intimidating aura so I smiled brightly and ordered while making small talk with Ryeowook. Minhyuk just mumbled his order and turned back to the window. Ryeowook bowed and hurried back to the kitchen.

 

“Happy birthday.” Minhyuk said quietly before slipping a small box across the table. I looked at him in puzzlement before picking up the box; it was black with a gold ribbon tied around it. I untied the ribbon and lifted the lid; inside was a gold bracelet with a small heart charm attached. It looked to be a least 10 carats and the charm had a small topaz encrusted in it, which made me cringe to think of how much it cost. I looked at Minhyuk again in disbelief to see him staring at me wistfully, like he was having a dream. He leaned over the table and took the bracelet before clipping it on around my wrist. It glowed in the soft light and I unknowingly smiled, momentarily forgetting about the pain he’s caused me. As I was admiring it some more I noticed a stain on the heart charm; it covered the underside of the charm and tainted the metal an odd black-red colour. It was confused at first but I soon figured out what it was, it was blood. I knew because when I first had my ears pierced I was allergic to certain metal and it caused the hole to get infected and bleed which stained the metal of the earring. How could blood have gotten onto it, unless…-

 

I was snapped out of my growing uneasiness by the sound of plates on the table. Ryeowook had set down our meal and bowed again before leaving. I must say the food there looked really good. I took a bite and soon found myself basically inhaling the rest; it had been a long time since I’d eaten such delicious food. We ate in silence and soon we had finished. I stretched my arms and looked around the restaurant. It was quite large but there were so many tables that the space between them was minimal and I had to wonder how the waiters and waitresses didn’t trip over. My thoughts were soon answered though when Ryeowook came over to the table with the drinks menu. Minhyuk ordered a bottle of some fancy white wine and Ryeowook rushed off again. Minhyuk seemed to be rather dark today, more so than usual. Five minutes later Ryeowook came back with two wine glasses and a bottle with a corkscrew in his pocket. He jammed the corkscrew into the thick cork and twisted it smoothly, for someone of his stature and build he was pretty strong. The cork was just about out until someone, a rather snobbish looking woman, walked past and roughly knocked into Ryeowook, sending the bottle flying to the table. The cork burst out of the neck and flew straight at my eye. I can tell you, it hurt.

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry! Here let me get you some ice!” Ryeowook was moving frantically and pulled a cloth from his back pocket before throwing some of the ice from the wine bucket into it and tying a knot. But before he could hand it to me, a fist went flying at his face.

 

Ryeowook stumbled backwards and fell to the floor. Minhyuk stood over him and stared down with disgust. Had he just punched Ryeowook?! I immediately shot up and stood between the two while throwing a glare at Minhyuk.

“It was an accident. Leave him be.” I said in a deadly serious voice. He can’t just assault someone for a little accident. I would never stand for this behaviour. I bent over and helped up Ryeowook before handing him the ice packet and ushering him into my seat at the table. He looked like he was about to cry so I assured him it was alright. I felt like I would cry too, but not from the pain in my eye.

“Thank you.” He said quietly while wiping away a few stray tears that escaped. He was such a nice guy, he didn’t deserve this treatment. I smiled gently but Minhyuk had grabbed my arm roughly and was dragging me out of the restaurant. Way to make a scene. I was absolutely furious with him but I didn’t dare say a word. He threw me into his car and sped back to the apartment. I pushed past me and ran to the bedroom and slammed the door hard enough for the frame to vibrate. ‘What the hell is his problem?! It was a simple accident!’

 

That was it. That was the last straw. I cannot take his behaviour, blowing up over the simplest of things, I couldn’t take his fake ‘love’, all he ever saw was Haesun. I said I still loved him but now I know I don’t.


Hello everyone! You've convinced me, I'm not going to delete the story. I want to write soemthing you guys will enjoy! So, hope you like it!

P.S Sorry, my inner ELF came out in this chapter, i couldn't help it. Kekekekekeke!

P.P.S kissMe_Kevin4eva I know what you're going to say, so shut up! :D