Chapter 26

I Just Don't Know Anymore

{ Eunjin POV }

At least a week and a half had gone by since Minhyuk had been fired. If i was sick of being cooped up inside the apartment before, I was ready to jump out the window now. Minhyuk just sat on the lounge and watched TV all day; he didn't look for a new job or even feign interest in the outside world. He just sat there like a puppet with it's strings cut. Eunkwang texted me everyday and called a few times but it was never enough. And it was risky as hell too, seeing as the walls seemed to have become paper thin in the last few days. But while all of this was going on I sat in the bedroom and thought everything over. I'd really been horrible to Minhyuk lately. I had right to refuse him and yearn for freedom, but i was jus repeating what happened to him years ago. What was that saying? If we don't learn from the past, history will only repeat itself? That seemed like an apt description of my life right now.

But how can I possibly fix something as huge as this? I can't just walk up to Minhyuk and say, "Sorry for being a , but I'm cheating on you with your best friend and now I'm leaving you for him.". Unfortunately life isn't that simple. It could sneak away in the dead of night and escape with Eunkwang like he said, but the risk was too high. But desperate times call for desperate measures. I didnt want to cause Minhyuk anymore grief, and I didn't want anymore injuries. He was awful to me but I was just as bad as him; we both deserved freedom. I waited until Friday night to put my plan into action. I'd wait until Minhyuk went to bed, grab my bag and run. I had called Eunkwang last night to tell of my decision. He was silent at at first as though he had gone into shock. But he soon replied with details of where he'd pick me up and what time to leave. It was as if he had it planned for ages. I agreed quickly and hastily prepared a small bag that I could hide until it was time.

I had been edgy all Friday and Minhyuk noticed. He kept throwing confused looks when I jumped at the smallest sounds and kept glancing at the clock. By now it was eleven and Minhyuk had just turned off the TV and slipped into bed. I pulled my bag out of my wardrobe and grabbed my phone as I slowly closed the door, listening for any movement. I sent Eunkwang a quick text to let him now I was on my way. Before I left I decided to look around the apartment. Many memories still lingered here, some good and some bad. I felt my eyes grow wet and wiped away the tears; I yearned for freedom but it was still difficult to leave what is essentially my home. As I picked up an old photo of Sungaje and myself my phone vibrated and screeched loudly, it's sound amplified by the silence. I nearly jumped through the roof and fumbled blindly in my pockets for the infernal device. Why was I so stupid?! I quickly stopped the noise and stood dead still. Minhyuk had to have heard that, the ring tone was loud enough to wake the dead.

Surely enough, the bedroom door opened and Minhyuk's heavy footsteps were making their way into the loune room. I was too scared to move so when Minhyuk saw me standing in the middle of the room like a statue, he was suspicious. He eyed my bag an running shoes which I was holding by their laces. "

"Eunjin, what are you doing?" Minhyuk stepped forward slowly. I took a step back. "

Nothing, I-I couldn't sleep..." Great lie.

"What do you have a bag and shoes? Are you going somewhere...?" Minhyuk trailed off as he the cogs in his brain moved quickly, trying to process the scene. Of course he went to the worst case scenario, which was evidently the truth. "

You're not leaving are you? Why are you leaving?" The tears resurfaced and I snapped my eyes back and forth to find an exit. Minhyuk was blocking the front door, but there was no other way out. Making a mad dash for the door I almost reached the doorknob but Minhyuk caught my wrist and yanked me back. He grabbed my other hand and held my face close to his. I had never been more petrified in my life as Minhyuk searched my eyes for my secret. He seemed to have found it.

"Why? What's he have that I don't?" Minhyuk asked in a whisper but it sounded pained. I screwed my eyes shut and waited for the inevitable, but it didn't come. Instead Minhyuk pulled the phone out of my hand and flipped it open to reveal one unread text message from Eunkwang. His face darkened immediately and opened the text. I opened my mouth to protest but all that came out was a strangled noise and a fresh stream of tears.

'I'll be waiting outside the park.'

Minhyuk dropped the phone and stared at me. He looked furious, fuming and heartbroken. I ripped myself from his grip and threw open the front door, stumbling wildly for the elevator. Minhyuk wasn't far behind but he didn't catch me before the doors closed. I sank to the floor and buried my face in my hands. My sobs reverberated on the metal walls and struck my ears like hammers. This wasn't going how I planned. As soon as the doors opened I sprinted out of them and through the glass doors, onto the dead streets. I looked around for Minhyuk but he was nowhere to be found. I couldn't waste time so I ran as fast as my legs could take me in the direction of the park. I hoped to God Eunkwang was already there. With Minhyuk on my tail i ran breathless through the foggy streets, keeping a look out for what would be my saviour.


Hello Hello Hello! Oh s*** , Minhyuk found out. Well, it's about time don't you think? So now the story should be getting to the . I hope you guys keep reading from this point on!

Comments and subscriptions are much appreciated.