Twenty Five

Somewhere Only We Know

 

I was awoken the next morning by suppressed groans by my ear. My eyes snapped open to find myself in the same position just a month ago. I was sleeping with my head on Seunghyun's shoulder. Only this time, I didn't wake up to a smirk, but a forced smile.

"Good morning." he greeted, his breath still reaking of alcohol. I was too busy trying to piece together my memories of last night to reply. And easily reading it from my face, Seunghyun helped me with it.

"You were in a really uncomfortable position, so I thought I should lend you my shoulder." he explained quickly, as if afraid I'd misunderstand.

"How long have you been awake?" I asked, shifting myself further away.

"About 3 hours..."

I turned to glance up at the clock that hung on one side of the living room wall. It was only 9am. Apparently, none of the guys were awake yet.

"You could have woken me up."

Seunghyun looked to the front, staring at nothing in particular. He wasn't able to give me an explanation as to why he was acting so strange. And after his outrageous confession last night, I didn't want to ask. All of a sudden, he turned to me with a soft expression.

"What?" I asked, taken aback by his slight smile.

"You don't get hangovers, do you?"

I shook my head hesitantly, unsure of where he was heading at.

"That night, after the wedding... you got drunk. But I heard from the guys that you were just fine when you woke up." he said, his smile growing wider, and the look in his eyes bright. I felt like we were back to speaking comfortably with eachother.

"I always get headaches the next morning..." he confessed, looking down like a child embarrassed by his little confession, "In fact, I'm having one right now."

I frowned. He had been awake for the pass three hours, suffering from a bad headache and yet he didn't wake me. I quickly got up and headed for the kitchen, in search for some painkillers. I was out again in a flash, with two pills in one hand and a cup of water in the other.

"Here." I said, handing them to him. He just stared, as if he had never seen painkillers before.

"Thanks..." he mumbled.

I watched as he obediently swallowed the painkillers, taking huge gulps of water. He let out a quiet sigh of satisfaction when he finished all of it.

"I remember the first time we drank... I got a massive headache the next morning too." he said softly, not looking in my direction.

My heart sank. I wasn't sure why he had to mention that, and if it carried certain intentions, or if it was just an innocent remark. Either way, I couldn't block out the guilt and regret that arose, twisting my insides like a horrible whirlwind.

The first time we drank, wasn't a happy drink. Though there was tons of laughter and silly jokes made as we let the alcohol cloud our sober minds, it was as if there was a secret compartment somewhere inside us that locked up the sorrow, for the sake of eachother. That compartment of mine burst open the moment I stepped out the door that morning, setting itself free in the form of uncontrollable tears. I wonder if his was the same. I wouldn't know. Because I left him to deal with the empty space I left on the couch, in his arms, and possibly in the rest of his life.

He seemed glad to have suffered silently in the pass three hours. And he was unintentionally making his reasons way too obvious. He was glad to have seen worry flash pass my eyes that moment. He was even more glad when I got painkillers and a cup of water for him without hesitation. Perhaps it would have been better if these actions didn't come so late. Seven years late.

"I'm sorry." I mumbled, not knowing what to say.

He straightened up, shocked to hear those words.

"That's not what I meant..." he tried to explain.

"Was the pain unbearable?" I muttered, clenching my teeth as I gathered the courage to look him in the eye. His eyes fluttered as he thought hard for a decent reply.

"The headache was bearable."

I nodded, knowing exactly what he wanted to say, but couldn't.

"You should go home now. Hwayoung unnie would be really worried." I urged, getting off the couch.

"Shouldn't I wait for the guys to wake up?"

"I'll let them know you had to leave." I quickly replied.

His brows knitted together, forming a slight frown as he looked down at his hands. I knew exactly what he was thinking. 'But I don't' were the words he wanted to argue with. But he held it in.

"Wait, I almost forgot!" I exclaimed. I raced up the stairs, skipping a step each time. I picked up the brown paperbag that stood under my bed. Seunghyun watched in wonder as I quickly made my way back to him, holding the bag out to him.

"Thanks for this." I said. The dress and shoes, I neatly put into the paperbag the exact way I received them. He raised his hand slowly, taking the bag from my hands. His grip was firm, crumpling the uncreased bag. And even though he took it from me without a word, his actions proved his reluctance. I looked away, unable to stand a second more looking at those pained eyes.

"Y-you're welcome." he stammered, unsure if it was the right thing to say then.

With that, he left.

And at that moment, as I watched the view of his reliable back retreat further and further into the distance, I made a decision.