Two

Somewhere Only We Know

 

"Haerin!!!" a voice called out from across the class, "We're going shopping. You should come along!"
 
"Hmmm..." I looked over at Seunghyun who stood awkwardly outside my classroom, waiting for me with his head hung low.
 
"I'll pass." I rejected.
 
"But Haerin! It's been so long since you went out with us! And it's friday!" Another girl from the group whined.
 
"Sorry." I gave them an apologetic smile and quickly headed towards the lonely figure in the corner.
 
"Yo!" I greeted with a punch on Seunghyun's arm. He winced and rubbed his arm, trying hard to hide his smile.
 
"Oh my god he's so cute!" a girl squealed to her friend as they passed, turning his smile into discomfort instantly.
 
"Let's go." He softly said, turning his back and walking ahead.
 
"Hey! You ok?" I quickly caught up.
 
"I don't like the way they look at me. It feels weird." he complained like a child seeking comfort from his mother.
 
"Why? You're popular among the girls~" I teased, patting his shoulder.
 
" I don't want to be." He frowned, still avoiding eye contact with everyone we pass.
 
"Why not?" I asked, genuinely curious," Aren't guys all flattered when they get girls' attention?"
 
He kept quiet for awhile, quickening his pace. Then he mumbled, "But I only want yours."
 
No matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't stop smiling to myself afterwards.
 
 
-
 
 
Jiyong forgetting his keys was no surprise to me. But then again, being the usual lucky chap that he was, someone was home to get the door.
 
"Eyyy Top! Look who's back!" Jiyong literally screamed the moment the door swung open. And there stood the boy I've been longing to see. His tall figure towered over me, his fox-like eyes and perfect jawline more distinct than ever after the weight loss. His lips were slightly apart for a moment, the obvious sign of shock. But that expression I used to cherish disappeared within a split second, replaced by a side i've never seen, nor imagined.
 
"Haerin-ssi!" he greeted, approaching me with open arms. Before I knew it, I was pressed against his chest. Not the kind of hug between long lost friends. Not the kind of hug between family. The kind of hug I got often from the clubs in New York. The kind that lasted not more than 5 seconds, involving nothing but friendliness, or flirtation perhaps. I couldn't quite figure out which it was. Or rather, which I preferred it be.
 
Haerin-ssi...
 
The effect of 7 years apart, maybe? Understandable of course. I just... Didn't see it coming.
 
"You're a lady now. Quite unbelievable. I like it, though." the stranger before me spoke, breaking me from my daze. Me, a lady? I heard it from Jiyong just a while before... But the effect wasn't quite the same.
 
"Thank you." I simply replied, unsure of how to react to the strange ache in my chest.
 
"Thank you? Just thank you?" he chuckled, "How about adding 'oppa' to it?"
 
The tease in his voice caught me off guard. I wondered if my eyes gave my thoughts away. A part of me wish it did...Then perhaps the Seunghyun I knew would suddenly appear and tell me I've been tricked, and then fall to his knees laughing at my reaction. Or perhaps point me to a camera and replay my priceless expression a million times over to the others, mocking me. But none of that happened.
 
I've never been as grateful to Jiyong as I was at the moment he interrupted, insisting on showing me to my room. I gladly followed, not looking back at the face I found myself not able to turn away from.
 
"You'll like your room, Haerin-ssi. I took some time preparing it." Seunghyun commented, tagging along as we went up the stairs.
 
 
-
 
 
"Rin, I'm hungry." Seunghyun said as soon as I exited class. As usual, he had been quietly waiting for me while I packed.
 
"Alright! Let's go get something to eat!" I chirped. We were about to head off when Jonghyun, from the next class cut between us.
 
"Haerin-ah, do you mind helping me with this?" he requested, showing me some physics questions.
 
Before I could say a thing, Seunghyun turned his back and left without a word, like a mimosa's quick withdrawal upon being touched.
 
After helping Jonghyun out, I called Seunghyun's cellphone, worried by his behaviour earlier.
 
"Yeoboseyo." Seunghyun answered lifelessly.
 
"Seunghyun! Where are you? I thought you said you were hungry! Why didn't you wait for me?" I questioned, slightly upset.
 
"I haven't eaten. I'm at the gates." he replied, not answering my question.
 
"Why'd you leave?" I pressed on.
 
"It just didn't seem right to be there. It was a crowd. Sorry." he explained reluctantly.
 
I blamed myself for not noticing how lonely he must have felt, having my attention suddenly directed to someone else. And at that moment, I didn't realize that the heartache was more than just my motherly instincts kicking in.
 
"It's ok. I'll go get you now. Let's go eat. I'm starving!" I chirped brightly.
 
 
That was Seunghyun. Awkward, shy, and too afraid to step out of his comfort zone. The Seunghyun that I felt obliged to protecting and caring for. 
 
 
-
 
 
"Haerin, you hungry? We can go out for dinner tonight, just to celebrate your return!" Jiyong suggested, filled with excitement. I nodded with a smile, contented with the way he was. He hadn't changed one bit.
 
"Thats great. We could have a party. Call the others back, Ji. Gotta make Haerin-ssi feel at home." Seunghyun suggested, putting his arm over my shoulder and giving me a friendly smirk.
 
 
At least Jiyong was still the same. That's how I comforted myself. But why wasn't it working?