Nine

Somewhere Only We Know

 

"Are you that hungry?" Seunghyun laughed as he watched me endlessly take bites from each plate one after another without even lifting my head to look at him. The rest of the guys were in Jiyong's room, hooked on video games as always.

"I haven't had anything since breakfast..." I mumbled, slowing down. I knew from the silence that Seunghyun blamed himself for it. That was the last thing I wanted. I hated to seem pitiful. Especially to Top.

As I continued eating quietly, I could feel Seunghyun's eyes on me. For some reason, I was afraid to look up. I feared meeting this stranger's eyes...or perhaps what I really feared was to find traces of the boy that I adored. I didn't like how things were, but I wasn't sure of what I wanted either. All I knew was that I needed to start over. On my own.

"Haerin cutie... You're really adorable." he suddenly commented with his signature smirk. I looked up at him, afraid of what's to come as he leant closer. I quickly backed away, staring at him in disbelief.

"What the hell are you doing?!" I yelled.

"Why the frown?" He coyly laughed, "I thought you liked guys like that."

"What?!" I scoffed. Despite knowing how Seunghyun hated it when anyone displayed any sign of fear towards him, I just couldn't conceal the panic in my eyes.

"You like it, don't you? When guys make a move." he snarled, half laughing, "I've just been doing what you like, why are you getting mad at me for that?!"

He was raising his voice almost to the extent of yelling. I just sat there absolutely still as if any sudden movement would unleash a beast from this stranger before me. I watched in horror as he slammed his pair of chopsticks down in anger. Yet he kept laughing to himself as his gaze wandered. I couldn't speak, because it was scaring me. It was scaring me to tears.

"I thought you were different..." I breathed, trying my best not to choke on my words. And before my tears could betray me, I ran up to my room, not taking one look back.

 

-


"Rin, are you listening to me?" Seunghyun asked, waving a hand in my face.

"Ahh, Mianhae..." I apologized, laughing sheepishly. I couldn't concentrate on what Seunghyun was saying. My eyes kept drifting to the table behind ours... Where the Kingkas sat.

"Why do you keep looking at them?! Are they that good looking?" Seunghyun finally snapped.

"They're charming!" I defended, "They really make girls swoon with their smiles."

Seunghyun gave a face of disgust.

"All they do is hit on girls all the time."

I shrugged, digging into my lunch. Despite the tinge of jealousy in his voice, Seunghyun was right about that. They were merely eye candies. That's why the thought of becoming friends with any of those guys never crossed my mind. Seunghyun was all I needed...

Too bad he never knew.


-

 

I was getting tired of this. Me lying in bed, biting my lips as I cried my eyes out... it felt like I was in a lousy korean drama series. Yet I couldn't quite figure out just whose story this was. It certainly didn't feel like it was mine...

"Haerin, are you okay? We saw everything..." Taeyang asked, knocking on my door. I kept silent, just like the last time, hoping that he'd leave. But he didn't.

"I know you're still awake, Haerin. And I think we really need to talk." he pressed on. He waited a few moments. And when he finally realized that I wasn't going to respond, he spoke again.

"Maybe it's because you've been away for so long, that you've forgotten...that you're not alone, Haerin."

I bit my lip harder to suppress the cries threatening to escape my throat.

"After you came back, I started feeling like we're a family. You're like my little sister, Haerin. You know I'll always be there if you have troubles. Sometimes it's really better if you share."


I kept quiet, letting his words sink in.

"Where is he?" I asked so softly, it sounded like a whimper.

"He went out."

I unlocked the door, opening it slightly, enough for Taeyang to see me through the gap.

"Haerin..." he hoaxed, pushing the door wider open. I stepped back, as a sign that I've given in. He quickly stepped in, shutting the door behind him.
Maybe that was what I needed after all. Someone with a little more persistence, to force myself into admitting that it hurt. Because it did. It hurt so much. He patted my head gently like how I used to comfort Seunghyun. That thought sent more tears flowing. I let out a helpless cry.

"It'll be okay, Haerin. Everything will be okay when you wake up tomorrow morning."

I nodded, despite knowing that it wasn't true at all. It's not going to be okay. Not tomorrow, not ever. Not until I get my Seunghyun back.

 

-

 

"Rin, why do you still have these?" Seunghyun asked, taking out some old children books I still kept on the shelf.

"I like them." I simply replied, flipping through one. Seunghyun leaned over my shoulder, taking a peep at what I was looking at.

"Cinderella? Seriously?"

I laughed, partly agreeing that it was ridiculous of me to still keep these.

"Rin, do you think Cinderella really loves the prince?" Seunghyun questioned. I rolled my eyes, preparing myself for another one of his silly quizzes with endless questions.

"I'm sure she does, Seunghyun. That's why it's a 'happily ever after'."

"But I don't think she really loves the prince, Rin. I think it's just a moment of gratitude or infatuation, since he appeared all of a sudden when she most needed someone." He argued. I nodded, fascinated by his sudden wise words.

"Possible... He was, after all, her only hope."

"But if she'd just stay a little longer with the peasant boy next door, she might really find love."

I tilted my head, confused by his words.

"Peasant next door? Cinderella had a neighbor?!" I implored, completely amused and finding it ridiculous at the same time.
The glow in Seunghyun's eyes died.

"Of course you wouldn't know. Why would a boring peasant boy be in the fairytale?" He muttered in annoyance, snatching the book out of my hands and slotting it back into the shelves rather agitatedly.

 

-

 

I woke up much earlier the next morning. It was a Friday, and I wanted the boys to feel like it was an attribute to have a girl in the house, instead of a burden, like I've been doing ever since I arrived. I went downstairs, put on an apron and readied myself for a possible disaster. I never knew cooking was this hard. I always thought eggs were the easiest to make, forgetting the shameful fact that I couldn't even cleanly crack one open without the shells falling in. After several attempts, I finally managed to get a perfect sunny-side-up. I glanced up at the time. 5.30am. An hour more before the youngest two rise for school.

By the time breakfast was ready, it was 6.10am. Twenty minutes more before their alarm clocks went off. I heaved a sigh of relief as I sat myself down on the couch, taking a rest after the hard work. Yes, cooking was extremely hard work. To me, at least. I picked up a magazine that was left on the coffee table, flipping through the colorful pages. A minute later, I heard someone clumsily exit from his bedroom. I looked up from my magazine and saw Seunghyun upstairs, still in his pajamas and bed hair, rushing for the bathroom. I looked back down at my magazine, amused by that sight. For a moment there, I had completely forgotten about last night's incident.

Within 5 minutes, Seunghyun was out again, fumbling with his belt, completely oblivious to my presence downstairs. I watched as he scrambled back into his room, as if he was running late for something. I could hear the sound of things being tossed around as he frantically searched for whatever he was searching for. And before I knew it, he was out again, with his hair nicely done and his clothes, top to toe, neatly in place. In his hands, were his phone, and a cable connecting to his speakers. I felt a fuzzy kind of warmth fill my heart upon realizing what this was all about.


My brows furrowed as I continued to watch Seunghyun settle himself on the ground right outside my door. I made my way up the stairs as quietly as possible while he searched his phone for a suitable song to play.

"Good morning. " I calmly greeted, squatting directly behind Seunghyun. Seunghyun jump in shock, letting out a yelp as if my sudden apparition behind him hit him hard in the face.


"You're up?" Seunghyun muttered, quickly standing up from his humble position.

"I've been watching you from downstairs."

He blinked hard, unable to believe that he just let me see him so...crass.

"Breakfast is ready." I dully pointed out before heading downstairs, leaving him stunned.Even as a grown man, so vain and so spotless, he amazed me with his speed in dressing up.

-

"You've improved, Noona." Seungri praised, absolutely pleased with the breakfast I prepared.

"By next month, you could be a master chef!" Daesung chimed in.

I laughed at their bubbly disposition this early in the morning. The jovial chattering and occasional outburst of laughter gave me a feeling of home. Like Taeyang had said last night, we were like a family. I was starting to notice each of their quirky habits and they somehow led me to finding out a little bit more about myself as well. It amazed me, how they all seemed so carefree. They faced everyday so light-heartledy, as if troubles never existed. That made me worry. I was afraid my return would bring them down.

"Bye, Haerin noona!" Seungri and Daesung chirped one after the other. I felt like a mother, sending her kids off to school. Except that they were already in college and I was like a child myself.

With the youngest two gone, the air felt heavier.

"What time were you back last night, Top?" Jiyong asked as we settled ourselves around the coffee table like the last time.

"Around 2." He answered casually. I played with my cellphone, not wanting to think about anything for now.

"Where'd you go?" Taeyang questioned, sounding upset.

"Just out for a walk."

Out for a walk...

That was a pretty easy answer to give, I guess. I mean, we all like taking walks when the atmosphere at home gets too tensed. But I guess you wouldn't have to take walks like that if you've got a fiancee who calls at random times for you to go meet her. They must have a really good relationship. He must have found comfort in her. That's definitely good.

"What are we gonna have for lunch?" Jiyong pondered.

"We just had breakfast, Ji." Seunghyun sighed, rolling his eyes at Jiyong. who pouted like a kid whenever food was involved.

"I'm just thinking ahead of time. That's a good thing, ok?!"

Taeyang laughed, shaking his head. There was a moment of serenity, where I felt like everything was indeed ok. Until Seunghyun broke the silence with a bang.

"Would it be ok if I invited Hwayoung over for dinner?"

Taeyang stole a glance at me from the corner of his eye, while Jiyong rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. Something told me Seunghyun knew this was going to happen, and the look in his eyes seemed to show that he wasn't keen about it either. Was I the problem?

"Well, I'm going to need some help in the kitchen later on then." I said, clearing the tension in the air with my unexpected positivity. Seunghyun looked down as he played with his fingers...something he did whenever he felt sorry, but wasn't brave enough to say it. But there was nothing to be sorry about, of course. There was nothing wrong with bringing your future wife back home for dinner.

"Are you that proud of Haerin's cooking that you wanna show off what a good life you're living?" Jiyong joked, getting a small laugh out of Seunghyun.

"Of course. Haerin cutie, work hard for dinner alright?" Seunghyun said, brushing my fringe out of my face gently. The adoration in his eyes remained, even after last night's incident, and the awkward mentioning of his fiancee. Seunghyun hadn't breathed a word about this fiancee of his to me. But I guess he knew that I'd somehow find out from either Taeyang, the caring oppa, or Jiyong, the careless tattletale.

Taeyang and I headed out to the grocery store to get the ingredients for that night's dinner while Seunghyun and Jiyong lazed around at home. Perhaps it was because of Taeyang's words from last night, that I somehow managed to tear off that mask I wore and show what I truly felt. Tired.

"You alright?"

His voice was gentle as always, as if afraid I might break if he spoke a little louder, or with more stress. I hated when Taeyang worried for me. I was starting to think that my label after this return would be the emo girl, the crybaby or the overly-sensitive girl or something of that sort. I didn't want that. I wanted the guys to think of me as a joy to have around...an asset to the house of five guys. I wanted to be useful.

"Must I really cook dinner?" I pouted jokingly, "It was really tiring preparing breakfast!"

Taeyang laughed, pinching my nose in amusement.

"So I take that as a yes?" he affirmed. The merry semblance never lasts. I kept quiet, not answering. I wasn't sure if giving an answer now would be a wise choice. I didn't want to make any promises.

It wasn't always that I had time alone with any one of the guys. And it was a perfect opportunity to get some answers...but I wasn't sure I wanted them from anyone other than Seunghyun. So I held my tongue. But as if fated to fail everything I put my mind to, Taeyang started questioning my silence.

"Haerin, why haven't you asked? Aren't you curious about Hwayoung?"

I could sense the impatience in his voice.

"I'll be meeting her tonight, won't I?" I smiled, reluctant to sort things out directly.

"But aren't you concerned with how everything turned out this way? All the things that happened while you were gone? Don't you care anymore?" he spat agitatedly. I always knew Taeyang was someone I could rely on. And him losing his composure at that moment further proved me right.

"You know I do." I muttered, not raising my head.

"Yes, I know you do. I also know what you're trying to do. You're hiding from this, Haerin. That's so unlike you. What happened to the headstrong Lee Haerin I knew?"

The headstrong Haerin? There never was a headstrong Haerin, if you ask me. Looking back at all the times I fought for something, Seunghyun was always the reason behind. And there was no more reason to fight now.

Soon, night was approaching. Seungri and Daesung were back from school and extremely eager to help in the kitchen. But Taeyang scolded them for making a mess. So they headed upstairs for- yes you guess it- video games. Well, they were better than Jiyong, though. He just sat on the couch all day, watching dramas. And Seunghyun... he was up in his room, until the time to fetch his fiancee came.

"I'll be back." he lamely voiced before leaving the house.

"You know, if you don't wanna stay, I could just take you out. We could eat at some restaurant instead. They won't blame you, and they can't blame me."

Taeyang whispered behind me as I dealt with the pasta.

"We could. But then that wouldn't be the Haerin you want to see, would it?" I gave him an assuring smile. He nodded, proud with my determination, though not thoroughly convinced.

Half an hour later, the doorbell rang.The princess has arrived.