Three

Somewhere Only We Know

 

"Ya! That's mine!!" Seungri grumbled as he helplessly watched Seunghyun eat his last slice of pizza. We were gathered in the living room, around the coffee table.
 
"Here, Seungri, you can have mine. I've already had 2 slices." I offered the maknae, who gladly took my plate. I smiled at that. Seungri still behaved like a child... Yet another reason to be glad.
 
"Haerin-ah, stop feeding Seungri. I can tell you're going to spoil him with your kindness." Taeyang joked, "The next time we order pizza, he's gonna gobble it all up before it reaches the table, you won't even get a crumb."
 
Daesung laughed, poking Seungri as the latter pouted.
 
"Aniya! I'll save some just for Haerin noona!"
 
I chuckled. His cuteness made me unable to resist patting his head. And at that moment, I felt a pair of eyes on me.
 
 
-
 
 
"Excuse me, have you seen Choi Seunghyun?" I stopped a guy I recognized to be from Seunghyun's class.
 
"Oh, the emo dude? He's in trouble. Probably on his way to the detention room." he scoffed, about to walk off when I grabbed his arm, stopping him in his tracks.
 
"What do you mean? What happened?" I questioned.
 
"Who knows? We make some harmless comments and he flares up out of the blue."
 
My eyes drifted down to his name tag. Yoon Doojoon. Hair gelled up, shirt untucked, branded sneakers. Seunghyun must have caused his collar to turn that crumpled.
 
"You came from the principal's office?"
 
"Got in trouble thanks to your little boyfriend." He spat, staring down at me, "Get him a leash, would you?"
 
The next thing I know, I was standing in the principal's office, next to panda eye Yoon Doojoon.
 
"Lee Haerin. Class 1204 detention room. NOW."
 
I pushed the office door open, and slammed it in Doojoon's face before he could exit after me. When i got to the detention room, Seunghyun was there too. His head was hung low and his shoulders were slumped. I stood by the door, waiting for the teacher's approval before I entered.
 
"Haerin! What happened? What's a good student like you doing in detention?" Mrs Shin asked.
 
"I punched a guy in the eye." I replied with a straight face, making my way to the seat beside Seunghyun's. I could see from the corner of my eye how both of them looked up in shock.
 
"I'll be right back." Mrs Shin announced after my confession.
 
"What happened?" Seunghyun asked, face full of confusion.
 
"I should be asking you that. You almost beat some guy up? Why?" I questioned, voice full of worry.
 
Seunghyun looked down and shook his head, refusing to tell me anything. I looked at his table, where a piece of foolscap paper lay neatly, the entire page filled with words.
 
'I was wrong. I have learnt my lesson. I will learn to manage my anger and communicate with my classmates better.'
 
"What is this?" I demanded to know.
 
" I have 42 more lines to go..." he mumbled.
 
For some reason, I was overwhelmed with anger. The defeated look on Seunghyun's face made my heart ache and my blood boil. I stood up and snatched the piece of paper of the table, violently tearing it into a million pieces. Just then, the principal entered the room with Mrs Shin by his side and Yoon Doojoon behind her.
 
"Lee Haerin! What are you doing?!" the principal exclaimed in horror upon seeing my actions.
 
"What the hell is this?! Does he seem easy to pick on?!" I yelled, approaching her. Seunghyun tugged at my arm, pleading for me to stop.
 
"Make him do something ridiculous like this again, and i'll have my parents make sure you lose your seat in that office." I hissed before turning to face Doojoon.
 
"His name isn't Emo dude. Its Choi Seunghyun. Remember that name, because you say anything about him again, and i'm going to break your jaw."
 
I grabbed Seunghyun's hand and left the class.
 
We walked on and on until I got tired and stopped by a park bench. I turned to look at Seunghyun, who mechanically sat down.
 
"What's with that look?! Why did you write those lines?! You didn't do anything wrong!" I raised my voice.
 
"I almost beat that guy up. I have anger management problems..." he muttered, looking disappointed with himself.
 
"AISH. YOU PABO! DON'T YOU EVER SAY THAT!!" I screamed.
 
Seunghyun looked up at me with an inscrutable expression.
 
"How would you know I wasn't in the wrong? Do you know what happened?" he asked. I calmed down and settled myself beside him.
 
"Look, I don't know what your classmates said, but I believe you're not the kind to get physical. They must have been real douchebags to get you that mad." I explained, " You don't have anger management problems, arrasso?"
 
I could see the glistering tears in Seunghyun's eyes, threatening to fall.
 
"You really think so?"
 
I nodded certainly.
 
"Komawo, Rin." he croaked.
 
We sat there in silence as he continuously wiped the tears off his face. I patted his head gently, like a mother soothing her crying child...The only way I knew to let him know I'd always be there...
 
 
Though I wasn't for long. 
 
 
-
 
 
"Haerin-ssi, coke for you?" Seunghyun offered, smirking as he sipped his beer.
 
"Yes, please."
 
"Ya Top! Always the considerate gentleman!" The slightly tipsy Jiyong teased.
 
Top. Considerate gentleman. Always...
 
For some reason I felt like I was at some high school class gathering... With people I don't remember ever meeting. But I smile, and I go along with the setting put up by these strangers.
 
"Hyung! Don't get all drunk infront of Haerin noona! It's embarrassing!" Daesung exclaimed.
 
"It's ok, Daesung. I got a feeling this happens quite often, so I gotta get used to it." I laughed.
 
"Noona, how did you know?" Daesung asked in amazement.
 
"She's got telepathy with Top Hyung, remember?" Seungri chimed in.
 
My smile faded, and I was left speechless. But before the atmosphere could get awkward, Seunghyun chuckled.
 
"That's right, Maknae. The lady knows my mind."
 
I just smiled.
 
I didn't. I really didn't. I used to... But that was before I left, and my world crumbled. Did his crumble too? I wasn't sure. Because I wasn't there when everything changed. I was somewhere far away, selfishly praying that my best friend never changes, and that he'd still need me everyday.
 
 
-
 
 
"Rin, why aren't you out with the girls?" Seunghyun questioned as we made our way home together after school.
 
"Because I'd rather be here with you, Seunghyun." I gave him a smile.
 
"Really? But why? I'm not as fun." Seunghyun asked, his eyes full of insecurities.
 
"Of course you are, pabo! You're my best friend!" I grinned. Why? Why did I choose Seunghyun over the girls? Why do I always? I wasn't sure. All I know was that I'd choose Seunghyun over the entire world, without doubt. Seunghyun just smiled back at what I said. He probably didn't think I'd notice how his steps got heavier and heavier.