Sixteen

Somewhere Only We Know

 

That night, after we returned from the beach, we immediately called for pizza. I was aware of how unhealthy these guys were living their lives. So I was determined to make sure this was the last time we were having pizza for dinner.

"But pizza is nice!" Jiyong complained.

"You're gonna get fat eating them, Jiyong!"

"He's already fat." Taeyang mumbled as he passed.

"HEY! I HEARD THAT." Jiyong snapped, jumping off the couch. But as I had expected, he probably thought it was too much trouble to attack Taeyang...so he laid back down like the bum that he was.

"So, what are we going to eat from tomorrow onwards?" Daesung asked with a troubled face.

"I'll cook!" I proudly announced.

There was an awkward silence before Seungri spoke.

"So...we're gonna have pasta every night?"

"YA! That's not the only thing I can cook!!" I yelled, slapping his arm.

"That's the only thing you can cook that won't get us to the hospital!" Jiyong exclaimed.

I huffed, turning to Seunghyun for some help. As if caught off guard, he cleared his throat awkwardly.

"I'll eat whatever you can make, Rin." he stated, "And all of you guys will too."

Jiyong, Daesung and Seungri turned dramatically to look at Seunghyun with a stunned face.

"Fine..." the three of them uttered bitterly.

Seunghyun was never one who gave orders. Although he was the oldest in the house, he never had much authority. But recently, things have changed. After the addition of a girl to this family, things were going more orderly, with some rules too. They weren't all crazy kids...there were times they stepped up as adults too. Unlike when I first came. I could tell how much they loved one another from the little things they've done and how forgiving they are towards anyone in this house. They accepted Seunghyun as the quiet, shy boy and they accepted his change when I returned. Now they were abiding by his words, even if they held no impact.

When the pizza came, we ate, we talked, we laughed, and we went to sleep. Except this time, Seunghyun made sure I slept in my room, away from the other four guys.

When morning came, my eyes snapped open at the sound of music outside my door. My morning call came every day without fail...and today was no exception. I opened my bedroom door to see Seunghyun sitting on the ground.

"Good morning!" he greeted, looking up at me with a grin.

"I'm hungry." I stated, earning a chuckle from Seunghyun.

"Breakfast is ready. The guys are downstairs. Hurry!" he explained, shoving me into the bathroom and closing the door behind me.


-


"You've got class tomorrow? On a Saturday?" I asked in disappointment.

"Sorry, Rin. I end at 3....I'll only be back at 4.30." he pointed out, sighing.

"I'll meet you in town then!" I quickly said, "I'll be there as soon as you end, then we can go shopping!"

His face brightened.

"Really?!"

I nodded enthusiastically.

He left early the next morning, leaving me feeling empty. I sat in my room, thinking and figuring things out. As soon as it was time to leave the house, I quickly got ready, excited to meet Seunghyun in town. I liked how it felt, missing him as I waited for him to end his day at school. I took the bus, which took an hour and a half. And when I saw his school in the distance, I alighted.

I glanced down at my watch...2.56pm. His college was huge. It was nothing like high school. I felt out of place, but still insisted on standing by the entrance as other college students strolled in and out. Only then did it hit me, that Seunghyun was growing up. He was like all these students I saw...with a goal in life, some with part-time jobs. Some with girlfriends. It was only his first year, but the fact that he was growing up fast scared me.

"Rin!" I heard my name being called.

"Woah...you're really on time!" I laughed. I took a peep a few feet behind Seunghyun. A girl was heading towards us with wondering eyes. Seunghyun must have walked out with her, leaving her behind when he approached me.

"Seunghyun-ssi, this is the friend you were gonna meet?" she brightly asked.

"Neh..." Seunghyun nodded shyly.

I smiled politely, despite the thoughts in my head that were already running wild.

"Ok, I'll be going then! Have fun!" she chirped, walking away. I eyed her top to toe, wondering if she was the kind of girl Seunghyun liked. Tall and slim with long black hair.

"Rin, let's go! My friend told me there's a clearance sale going on at the mall! You'll like it." he exclaimed eagerly.

"Your friend? Is it that girl?" I asked curiously, pointing back at the direction she went.

"Yeah, that's Hyomin. She's in quite a few of my classes. She knows a lot of nice places for desserts. You like chocolate desserts, don't you? I asked her about a few and she said-"

"You guys seem really close." I interrupted, unexplainable anger building inside of me. Seunghyun stopped talking, confused by the tinge of bitterness in my voice.

"She must be really fun. You look like you had fun at school." I commented

"Yes I did. I was excited about meeting you." he quietly said, looking at me with wide eyes, confused by my anger. I started feeling bad. In that moment of silence between us, I started realizing what he had been trying to tell me and my heart tingled with warmth. Even as he was talking to a girl so gorgeous, all he did was ask about dessert places...so he could bring me. I softened.

"What were you saying about chocolate desserts?"

I saw his smile return as he continued to ramble on about his new discoveries. I made a promise to myself that day, that I would never doubt Seunghyun again.

But you know that isn't possible in an affair.



-


"I've got class in the afternoon today, guys. Gotta leave soon." Seunghyun annouced as we sat at the dining table.

"We can leave together." Daesung said.

"I'm working tonight." Taeyang stated, "Wanna come along, Ji?"

Jiyong nodded excitedly.

"It's been awhile since I last went to a club! Haerin, wanna come?" Jiyong smirked. Until the loud clinking of Seunghyun's cutlery hitting the table was heard. Jiyong laughed awkwardly.

"Chill, Top...You know I'm just kidding."

A part of me enjoyed the over-protective side of Seunghyun. It was a side he wasn't able to show when we were younger...because he felt like he didn't have that right.

"So what are you going to do today, Rin?" Seunghyun questioned, sounding worried.

"I'll just head out I guess...find something to do. I'll be okay." I smiled reassuringly.

After breakfast, Seunghyun and the kids left. Taeyang, Jiyong and I lazed around in the living room. They started telling me about the different cocktails at clubs, and their wild experiences. With Seunghyun out of the house, I felt like they were trying to corrupt me. But honestly, I didn't mind.

Soon, Taeyang and Jiyong had to leave too. So I decided to leave the house with them. Despite their several attempts to lure me to the club with them, I stood firm.

"We'll protect you, Haerin." Taeyang promised. I just laughed, telling them I wasn't interested.

As if on cue, I received a text as soon as we went separate ways. It was a text from Hwayoung.


'Haerin! If you don't have any plans today, would you like to come over to my place for lunch? I'll pick you up! :D'


Immediately upon seeing her name, I felt uncomfortable. There was a part of me that couldn't face her...because of my feelings for Seunghyun. But there was another part of me that was convinced that I hadn't done anything wrong. At least not yet. Seunghyun and I haven't actually been sneaky. We were always with the rest of the guys, just enjoying each other's presence with a different perspective from before.

So I agreed.


-


I was walking out from school one Wednesday afternoon when a familiar figure in the distant caught my eye. I took a few quick steps forward and squinted my eyes to get a better view.

"Seunghyun!!" I squealed, skipping forward like a child chasing the ice cream truck. He smiled widely upon seeing me so excited.

"What are you doing here?! Don't you have school?" I questioned.

"I signed out. I wasn't feeling well." he explained. My eyes widened in worry.

"You're not feeling well? Where? Are you running a fever?"

He chuckled, shaking his head.

"I feel fine now after seeing you!"

I raised a brow skeptically.

"You're really lame." I mused.

Later that night, as we sat in the backyard, Seunghyun cried...


Apparently, that morning, my father had told him... that I was leaving.